Giants safety Tyler Sash gets four-game suspension

Dion Lewis,  Tyler Sash AP

The hits keep coming for the Giants secondary.

A day after they realized they’d likely lose cornerback Terrell Thomas with yet another ACL injury, the G-Men took another hit.

Safety Tyler Sash has been suspended the first four games of the regular season for violating the league’s policy on performance enhancing drugs, according to Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger.

Such as suspension would allow Sash the chance to practice and play in the preseason, but would knock him out the first four games of the regular season without pay.

The Giants were already thin at the position, and it could lead to a return of veteran safety Deon Grant, who was a free agent and hasn’t signed with anyone yet.

UPDATE 4:07 P.M. ET: Sash apparently tested positive for Adderall, according to a statement, via Garafolo.

“I took a prescription drug [Adderall] legally under a doctor’s care for an anxiety condition during the offseason in March of this year. The purpose was to help me with public speaking appearances,” Sash said in a statement. “I had no idea that this prescription drug was banned by NFL policy. Although I take full responsibility for this situation, I also want to state that I have never cheated or taken performance-enhancing drugs, and I frown on those who do.

“I am highly disappointed by the league’s decision in this matter, but I will continue to do my best on and off the field.”

According to Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News, Sash has already appealed and lost.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
27 Responses to “Giants safety Tyler Sash gets four-game suspension”
  1. monosylab1k says: Jul 31, 2012 4:02 PM

that’s a shame, he could’ve been the greatest white New York DB since Sehorn…oh wait

2. rcampore says: Jul 31, 2012 4:08 PM

3. nflofficeadmin says: Jul 31, 2012 4:10 PM

Just opened the door to losing his spot on the depth chart

4. catquick says: Jul 31, 2012 4:10 PM

The last time this happened the Giants won the SB

5. coolzog says: Jul 31, 2012 4:24 PM

“What you failed to report was that he was prescribed Aderoll for anxiety by a doctor and this was back in March.

I still don’t understand how these medically prescribed drugs for medical conditions are still under the same column as performance enhancing drugs.”

Probably because Adderall and other stimulants are not indicated for anxiety disorders and may actually worsen someones anxiety.

If this guy has simple anxiety/stage fright he should be using an antidepressant (SSRI/SNRI) or low dose propranolol as that is what is typically used to treat it.

It’s quite convenient his current medication may also have the side effect of improving athletic performance….

6. agelardi says: Jul 31, 2012 4:24 PM

No excuses anymore for not calling into the league office and finding out what you’re being prescribed is is banned or not before you take it.

7. godofwine330 says: Jul 31, 2012 4:27 PM

I don’t understand the NFL bans an ADD medication, and then, when the player appeals saying that, “Okay. I saw a doctor for a condition and here is my doctor’s excuse,” they STILL suspend the guy? Drew Brees is right, the suspension thing in the NFL is a joke.

I know they want to ban PEDs, but the doctor’s excuse is supposed to clear you. The NFL is just mad and wants to suspend because the player didn’t come to them first. But what player thinks that ADD medication or anti-anxiety medication is in the same category as PEDs? Then some players get their suspensions reduced and some don’t when they all have the same problem. This isn’t like they were attempting to hide anything, we are talking about ADD or anti-anxiety medication.

8. blacknole08 says: Jul 31, 2012 4:27 PM

I feel bad for Sash and others who got suspended for this. I’m ADD myself and taking my medicine does give me a boost of confidence when I’m in public, especially in social situations.

The NFL should take another look at why this substance is banned. Sure, it is an amphetamine. But if the man really needs it he shouldn’t be penalized. Besides, ADD/ADHD medicine has not been proven to aid players who do not need them. Nor is it a “performance-enhancer.”

9. eric12401 says: Jul 31, 2012 4:30 PM

Why was Andre Brown’s suspension due to Adderall overturned, but yet Sash’s was kept?

10. covercorner says: Jul 31, 2012 4:34 PM

Deon Grants price just went up again.

11. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jul 31, 2012 4:34 PM

Not needed. Jerry signed all this depth and we’re blowing through it before we even get to the first preseason game.

12. stats5 says: Jul 31, 2012 4:41 PM

Cheater, plain and simple. The NFL publishes the banned substances. Take the list of banned substances to your Dr. and ask him to prescribe medication not on the list and not containing anything on the banned list. This isn’t rocket science. Of course, football players aren’t the brightest bunch.

13. distracted9 says: Jul 31, 2012 4:47 PM

I used to take ritallin as a kid and ppl were always trying to get them from me for the speed factor.. apparently its like snorting a line.. Now the poor mans cocaine is phentramine, adipex and adderal…Drs

will almost always find a reason to give a crack head their fix.. Drs notes are garbage and any of the above will worsen anxiety.

14. dukemarc says: Jul 31, 2012 4:53 PM

Same thing that the Packer’s Mike Neal got suspended for this offseason.

15. btowngetsdown says: Jul 31, 2012 4:56 PM

Didn’t a back up running back on the Giants (Maybe Da-rel Scott or something similar — The “I got a ring!” singer on the plane after the Super Bowl) also test positive for Adderall and successfully appeal his suspension. Not sure why those appeals would not be treated consistently.

16. coolzog says: Jul 31, 2012 4:56 PM

“Besides, ADD/ADHD medicine has not been proven to aid players who do not need them. Nor is it a “performance-enhancer.”

This is a completely false statement that is not based in anyway on scientific evidence, but thanks for trying…

Stimulants (like Adderall and many other ADHD medications) are known to be both physical and cognitive performance enhancers. They can increase energy, improve endurance, increase anaerobic performance, decrease feelings of fatigue, improve reaction time, increase concentration, improve memory/alertness and weight loss.

17. pnut87 says: Jul 31, 2012 5:01 PM

Shame, I actually like the kid. Hope this doesn’t turn out to be something it’s not…

18. zaggs says: Jul 31, 2012 5:03 PM

coolzog says: Jul 31, 2012 4:56 PM

“As stated before, this medication should not be used for anxiety/stage fright. So either he has an incompetent Dr., does not understand what he is using it for, or is lying. None of these presents a compelling enough argument for overturning a suspension.”

Wrong, and wrong. From webmd “It may help to increase the ability to pay attention, stay focused, and control behavior problems.”.

19. whodeytn says: Jul 31, 2012 5:03 PM

Goodell suspends ya, hears your appeal himself, then upholds the suspension.

What a joke.

20. fdugrad says: Jul 31, 2012 5:21 PM

Unless seeking an advantage, this scenario makes no sense. Apparently other players had trouble with the league after taking this medication, there is a provided list of banned substances and finally, his entire career depends on his body, and this includes ANYTHING he ingests. It is difficult to believe, given the above, that anyone would not be vigilant with anything having to do with their body and career. This is why gaining an unfair advantage is the more plausible reason for trying this medication in my opinion.

21. coolzog says: Jul 31, 2012 5:37 PM

And how does paying attention, staying focused or control ADHD help anxiety symptoms?

I base my opinion on current best practice guidelines for treatment of anxiety disorders and knowledge of the pharmacology and side effects of the drug. You base yours off WebMD. Enough said…

22. blacknole08 says: Jul 31, 2012 5:46 PM

coolzog says: Jul 31, 2012 4:56 PM

————————————————

————————————————

23. kacapaco says: Jul 31, 2012 6:04 PM

He doesn’t know Adderall was banned? True it is not PED but is crack. Funny thing is, he wants us to believe his franchise didn’t give them list banned OTC & prescription drugs.

24. ctp603 says: Jul 31, 2012 6:06 PM

Everyone is a scientist / pharmacist in this thread.

25. coolzog says: Aug 1, 2012 7:58 AM

“OK, you make some valid points: it can give someone more energy, but the crash effect afterwards can zap that same amount of said energy, which also takes a toll on that person’s mentality as well as their body.

But I’m not talking about science here… only about how it won’t help a player’s ability to run faster, increase their throwing power, improve their blocking ability, help them lift more weights, etc. Ya, maybe his doc could have prescribed him something else, but adderral won’t make someone stronger. That’s a fact.”

First of all, this isn’t caffeine, people don’t “Crash” in the typical sense, especially when their taking every day or multiple times a day like it is typically taken.

You say you’re not talking about science (but I am), and than claim it’s a fact it doesn’t help your ability to perform athletically. That’s simply not true. By increasing anaerobic performance, endurance, energy, reaction time etc. and decreasing fatigue it will allow someone to perform better on the football field and training room (thus allowing them to run faster, lift more weight etc.)

“Everyone is a scientist / pharmacist in this thread.

Bottom line is there isn’t enough consistency in Goodell’s suspensions. I’m glad that man isn’t my boss, I know that for sure.”

I am a pharmacist, so what I’m talking about actually comes from an understanding of how these drugs work and can/should be used. You don’t know what the details of the appeal process were. Sash using it for an unlabelled indication (anxiety?) vs. a indication backed by science (ADHD) probably factored in to Goodell’s decision.

26. bkostela says: Aug 1, 2012 9:28 AM

this one is questionable on the list of PEDs. it gives a “speed rush” but so does caffeine. is that banned? and i’m pretty sure i still see smelling salts on the sidelines during games. if a kid has ADD and this drug helps, then he should be able to use it to help him focus. its not like the doctor prescribed him superhuman steroid injections.

that all said, sash is to blame for not checking the list before he took the drug. no excuse for that, tyler.

27. diehardtwinsfan says: Aug 1, 2012 9:59 AM

It’s getting harder and harder to feel sorry for these guys on this matter. It’s pretty well known at this point that this particular medication is on the banned list, and it’s also well known that all you have to do is let the league know in advance that you are taking it. If these guys cannot simply do that, then they deserve to be suspended. I get it for the first couple of individuals, but this is well known now and there aren’t excuses…

I’d add that ADD and ADHD are some of the most overdiagnosed “disorders” out there, and while there are a select few individuals who might have it, most of this is just pure garbage… Pretty soon, everyone in the NFL is going to have ADD, cause quite frankly, just about any one can get diagnosed for it.