Skip to content

Jerry Jones “too pissed” to speak to Dez Bryant

Dez Bryant Getty Images

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has no problem making bold statements about beating the Giants or wishing for a return to glory hole days, but there’s one place where he’ll hold his tongue.

Jones said during a radio interview Tuesday that he hasn’t spoken with wide receiver Dez Bryant since Bryant was hit with a Class A misdemeanor family violence charge this month. Jones was asked why a micromanager like himself hasn’t spoken to the player and his answer was short and to the point.

“Because I’m too pissed to talk to him,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas.

Jones isn’t too pissed to see how Bryant could help his football team on the field, so you can forget about any punitive measures on that front. This isn’t the first time that Jones has had to deal with a player getting into trouble off the field since he’s owned the Cowboys and his experiences with Michael Irvin likely make him doubly aware that you can win with volatile talents at wide receiver.

That talent needs to stay on the field, though, and Bryant had a hard enough time doing that last year without facing punitive measures for off-field transgressions. Jones has raved about the shape Bryant is in and said he thinks improved conditioning will help Bryant avoid the injuries that bothered him last season so it’s not hard to understand why he’s pissed about the developments of Bryant’s offseason.

For more with Jones, be sure to check out Florio hosting the Dan Patrick Show on Wednesday morning at 9:00 a.m. ET. Jones will be joining the show as a guest to talk about Bryant and everything else Cowboys.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
yo

Report: Nike reaches deals with Mariota, Winston, three other top prospects

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptkxnmjimgjin2ixnjbiywvlodrkm2m5ztniymq4odzk AP

If it’s draft season, then it’s time for apparel companies to strike deals with some of the top incoming NFL prospects.

According to ESPN’s Darren Rovell, Nike has signed Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, Georgia running back Todd Gurley, Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper and Wisconsin running back Melvin Gordon to endorsement contracts.

News of the Nike deal with Winston comes as he faces a civil lawsuit regarding a sexual assault allegation levied by a Florida State student in 2012. Winston was never charged criminally in connection with the allegation.

“Jameis has stated his innocence regarding serious charges made against him. We’ll continue to monitor the situation,” a Nike spokesperson told ESPN.com.

Winston, Mariota, Gurley and Cooper played for schools that sported Nike-branded uniforms. Gordon, meanwhile, wore an Adidas-branded uniform at Wisconsin.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Raiders show interest in Adrian Peterson

Minnesota Vikings v Kansas City Chiefs Getty Images

If the Vikings are going to trade Adrian Peterson, the Cowboys won’t be the only team interested.

The Raiders have also shown interest in Peterson, NFL Network reports.

In one important respect, the Raiders actually make more sense than the Cowboys: The Raiders have about $12 million more in cap space available than the Cowboys do. Peterson’s enormous cap hit would be tough for the Cowboys to squeeze in, but it would be doable for the Raiders.

But the Raiders aren’t exactly a team that’s one star player away from a championship, and adding an expensive veteran wouldn’t necessarily make a lot of sense. This move feels like a long shot.

For their part, the Vikings say they expect Peterson to play for them this year. It remains to be seen whether Peterson will try to force his way out, and whether some other team will offer a lucrative deal that makes the Vikings willing to part with their biggest star.

Permalink 94 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Packers re-sign S Chris Banjo

Green Bay Packers v Buffalo Bills Getty Images

Packers reserve safety Chris Banjo has signed his exclusive rights contract offer from the club, according to the NFL’s Friday transactions.

Banjo, 25, was active for Green Bay’s final three regular season games and both of its postseason games in 2014. He spent most of the season on the practice squad. The previous season, Banjo appeared in every game for the Packers, earning a role on special teams.

Banjo is likely to compete for one of the backup safety spots behind Morgan Burnett and Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in 2015.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Raiders work out Vic Beasley in South Carolina

Discover Orange Bowl - Clemson v Ohio State Getty Images

The Raiders took linebacker Khalil Mack with the fifth pick in last year’s draft and it looks like they got a cornerstone for their defense to build around in the coming years.

That wasn’t enough to lift them past the fourth pick in this year’s draft, which they may use on a player to help Mack on that side of the ball. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. and other Raiders coaches travelled to South Carolina on Friday to work out Clemson’s all-time sack leader Vic Beasley.

The team sent linebackers coach Sal Sunseri and defensive line coach Jethro Franklin to the workout as they try to sort out how Beasley would best fit into their 4-3 scheme. Wherever they might line him up, Beasley has the kind of speed off the edge that the Raiders Defense could use as they try to drop to a lower draft position in 2016.

Rapoport adds that the Jaguars have also sent defensive line coach Todd Wash for another look at Beasley, which could leave the Raiders looking in another direction come the end of the month.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

49ers working on new deal for Michael Wilhoite

Aldon Smith AP

In early March, there were reports that the 49ers were shopping inside linebacker Michael Wilhoite to other teams.

Patrick Willis and Chris Borland announced their retirements a short time later, which bumped Wilhoite into a more prominent position with the team. It looks like he’s on track to get a contract to match that new status.

General Manager Trent Baalke said Friday that the team is working on a new deal for Wilhoite, who is an exclusive rights free agent. He hasn’t signed that tender, which would pay him $660,000 a year after he started all 16 games while Navorro Bowman and Willis missed time with injuries.

“We’re working on something with him as we speak … He’s kind of in a unique situation. He was kind of caught in a numbers deal,” Baalke said, via the San Francisco Chronicle.

If Wilhoite played out the year on his ERFA tender, he’d be in line to become a restricted free agent next year. With the change in circumstances for the 49ers, Wilhoite may not be going down that path.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Tony Boselli’s son commits to Florida State

Boselli Getty Images

The son of Tony Boselli could be on his way to the NFL.

Via USA Today, Andrew Boselli has committed to Florida State.  A junior at Episcopal High School in Jacksonville, Boselli will be a member of the class of 2016.

“Coach [Rick] Trickett is just an offensive line coach — a technician — that knows how to teach,” Boselli said after visiting the school in February. “And they run a pro-style offense.  It’s a place that, if you want to go to the NFL, it a place you want to go.  They’ll teach you how to do it.”

Indeed they will.  With 18 players drafted in 2013 and 2014 combined, coach Jimbo Fisher’s Seminoles are 10 draft picks in 2015 away from tying the three-year record for any school.

Elite high school football players play in college not because they want to but because they have to.  League rules, as validated by the NFLPA, prevent players from entering the draft until three years after the graduation of their high school class.  So the only choice is to play in college, and at college the players necessarily are majoring in football.

Why not select a school that is more likely to get the football player ready to play in the NFL? When the only compensation is the wholesale cost of an education (and snacks!), the least a college football program can do is prepare the player for the next level.

Tony Boselli played at USC, and he was the second overall pick in the 1995 draft.  A five-time Pro Bowler and three-time All Pro, Boselli was elected to the NFL’s All-Decade team for the 1990s.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Bruce Miller not attending 49ers offseason workouts

Bruce Miller AP

Last season, the 49ers drew criticism for their decision to allow defensive tackle Ray McDonald to keep playing after an August arrest on domestic violence charges.

Things are playing out a bit differently with fullback Bruce Miller following his March arrest on suspicion of spousal abuse. General Manager Trent Baalke said Friday that Miller isn’t taking part in the team’s offseason workouts and said the team will revisit his status as the case moves forward.

“Yeah, once again, they don’t have to be here at this stage in the season,” Baalke said, via CSNBayArea.com. “We sat down with Bruce and feel it’s very important for him to handle this situation and once it’s handled, we’ll move on from there.”

No charges have been filed in the Miller case at this time. The only mandatory practices before training camp come during the team’s June minicamp.

McDonald wasn’t charged in the domestic violence case, but wound up being released later in the season after being investigated for sexual assault.

Permalink 4 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Tim Shaw: ALS weakens my body, not “my heart and mind”

Tim Shaw AP

Former NFL linebacker Tim Shaw, who announced in August he had been diagnosed with ALS, released a message Friday giving an update on how he was coping with the disease.

Shaw, who said he learned of his diagnosis one year ago Friday, signaled that while the disease had taken a toll on him, his resolve remained in tact.

“Today, tho my body struggles, my heart and mind grow stronger,” Shaw wrote on his Twitter account, posting a picture of him lifting a weight with his right arm.

The 32-year-old Shaw played seven NFL seasons, with his most extensive work with Tennessee from 2010 through 2012. Born in Exeter, England, Shaw played collegiately at Penn State.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Dorial Green-Beckham visited Bengals, 49ers

2015 NFL Scouting Combine Getty Images

If draft prospects were judged on talent alone, wide receiver Dorial Green-Beckham might be taken high in the first round.

The potential for off-field trouble is another factor, however, and Green-Beckham carries a lot of baggage. He was dismissed from the Missouri team after two drug arrests and a domestic violence allegation and then transferred to Oklahoma, but never played a game for the Sooners before declaring for the draft this year.

That makes it much harder to peg where Green-Beckham will land, but he’s drawing interest around the league. Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Green-Beckham visited the Bengals on Thursday and also had a recent visit with the 49ers. They join the Vikings and Ravens as teams that have spent time with the wideout.

All of those teams could use a receiver of Green-Beckham’s ability, even if it might remain raw after two years of college experience. There are plenty of other teams in the same boat and one of them may make a bet that the ability outweighs the risk before the first night of the draft comes to an end.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Ravens re-sign TE Phillip Supernaw

Baltimore Ravens v Pittsburgh Steelers Getty Images

The Ravens have re-signed one of their reserve tight ends.

Phillip Supernaw, an exclusive-rights free agent, has signed his tender with the club, the team’s website said Friday.

The 25-year-old Supernaw appeared in six games for Baltimore in 2014, catching two passes for 27 yards. He previously had stints with Kansas City (2014) and Houston (2013).

Tight end could be a position the Ravens address in the draft after losing Owen Daniels to Denver and with Dennis Pitta coming off a second significant hip injury. If Pitta cannot recapture his best form, second-year pro Crockett Gillmore could be the top target at the position.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

NFL declines to clarify website article tampering exception

Adrian Getty Images

On Thursday, the Cowboys posted on their official website an article explaining why the team should be interested in Vikings running back Adrian Peterson.  Some wondered whether statements of interest in a player under contract with another team violates the tampering rules.

At first blush, it seemed clear that there was no violation, based on this language from the Anti-Tampering Policy:  “Articles that appear on the website of a club that identify prospective free agents that the team might be interested in, or that rate prospective free agents, shall not be considered violations of the Anti-Tampering Policy unless they include a direct quote or expression of interest by an employee of the club (other than the author of the article) about a specific player.”

But as multiple readers quickly pointed out, Peterson isn’t a “prospective free agent”; he’s under contract with the Vikings for three more years.  So PFT asked the NFL for clarification on the question of whether the website article exception to the tampering policy encompasses Peterson, who won’t be a free agent for three years.

“We do not have a comment,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told PFT via email.

Absent clarification from the league, it remains unclear whether a team-owned website may write articles expressing interest in players under contract with other teams who are not “prospective free agents,” and it remains unclear what constitutes a “prospective free agent.”

For those of you who think this is part of an anti-Cowboys vendetta (because some of the fans of any team we scrutinize in any way automatically assume we’re motivated solely by hatred of said team), the Cowboys aren’t alone in this boat.  Last month the Cardinals’ website had an article containing quotes from receiver Larry Fitzgerald regarding the potential addition of Peterson.

We can already hear the “why do you hate the Cardinals?” emails being typed.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

After losing Gore, 49ers talk up Hunter and Hyde

Kendall Hunter AP

Before the start of free agency, the 49ers thought they would keep running back Frank Gore. As it turned out, Gore left to sign with the Colts.

But the 49ers feel good about two running backs who have stayed in San Francisco.

San Francisco General Manager Trent Baalke has talked up running backs Kendall Hunter and Carlos Hyde as both looking ready to play a big part in the 49ers’ offense this season. Hunter missed all of last season after tearing his ACL in training camp, but Baalke said Hunter has worked hard to get ready to go for this year’s camp.

He has progressed very well,” Baalke said, via NBCBayArea.com. “Talk about a guy that works. . . . He’s a grinder.”

And Baalke told Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee that Hyde has slimmed down to his lowest weight since he was an underclassman at Ohio State. Baalke described Hyde as looking “extremely good.”

If Hyde and Hunter are as good as Baalke thinks, and if Reggie Bush has something left, the 49ers may be in good shape at running back. Even after losing one of the best they’ve ever had in Gore.

Permalink 58 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Which quarterback will take the most snaps for the Browns this year?

Browns AP

The Browns will be wearing new uniforms this year, but it’s still unclear which quarterback will be taking the snaps when the real games start.

So which quarterback will take the most snaps this year?  That’s the subject for today’s Pro Football Talk on NBCSN poll question.

Answer the question and then dial us up at 5:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN, which will take a closer look at the news of the day and also ponder the draft plans of the Patriots and the Seahawks.

Permalink 27 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Report: Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall had foot surgery

Indianapolis Colts v Denver Broncos Getty Images

The Broncos re-signed linebacker Brandon Marshall as an exclusive rights free agent last week, which was an easy decision for them after Marshall put together a strong 2014 season while starting 13 games.

The time Marshall missed came late in the season when he was diagnosed with a foot sprain. He returned for the playoff loss to the Colts, but it appears that the foot issue wasn’t totally resolved.

Vic Lombardi of CBS4 in Denver reports that Marshall had foot surgery last month. Lombardi adds that Marshall should be ready for training camp, although missing time this offseason could impact how quickly he’ll be able to make the move from outside linebacker in last year’s 4-3 look to playing on the inside of Wade Phillips’s defense.

He’ll be playing next to Danny Trevathan, who is coming off an injury-wrecked season thanks to three knee injuries that limited him to three games. He says, via the team’s website, he’s back to 100 percent now, however, and plans on the 2015 season being “a big comeback for me.”

Permalink 2 Comments Feed for comments Back to top

Dallas PD suspends investigation into alleged assault case involving Aqib Talib

Aqib Talib AP

Last week, Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib was reportedly involved in a Dallas Police Department investigation into an alleged assault that took place at a nightclub early on April 8.

Dallas PD never identified Talib or his brother in statements on the investigation, but they were reportedly questioned by officers about reports of a gun being fired following an altercation at the club. The club’s manager told the Dallas Morning News that the brothers were there, but denied anything more than a “verbal altercation” had occurred.

On Friday, the Dallas police announced that they were suspending their investigation because of a lack of leads.

“Dallas Police Assault Detectives have been investigating an alleged offense that occurred in the early morning of April 8, 2015. This incident occurred outside a club at the 700 block of North Pearl. Detectives interviewed the Complainant, contacted witnesses and gathered evidence. Based on these interviews and the evidence currently available, this case has been suspended pending further leads,” the statement reads.

Talib has been taking part in the Broncos’ offseason workout program this week and should continue to participate barring any new information in the Dallas case.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Back to top