Rob Ryan’s going to “keep my mouth shut and work”

Rob Ryan AP

Stop the presses.

A Ryan brother isn’t going to say something. Except he kind of did.

Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said his unit was to blame for missing the playoffs, promised it would be better, but held back family impulse and didn’t say how much.

“Well, I guess we’re going to have to wait and see,” Ryan said, via Tim McMahon of ESPNDallas.com. “Day one, I’m not calling anybody out. I’ve learned. This is a bigger media than some of the other spots that I’ve been, so I’m gonna keep my mouth shut and work.”

Rob was in Cleveland and Oakland before a stint with the Patriots, where big talk in the media has never taken root.

A year ago, he was bragging about the Cowboys defensive talent, calling it the best in the league. They ended up 14th in total defense and 16th in points allowed, and their late-season fade was symbolic of the teams’ as a whole.

“We were the reason (the team) didn’t hold up, didn’t get to the playoffs,” Ryan said. “We’re looking forward to changing that.”

He’s just not going to talk about it, even though he kept talking about it.

“I’m not running scared,” Ryan said. “I’m not scared of anybody. I’m ready. That’s why I came to Dallas. I might not have known it was going to be this much scrutiny in the media, but believe me, I wanted to be here with the Cowboys, America’s Team. It’s about time America likes a Ryan.”

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Rob Ryan’s going to “keep my mouth shut and work””
  1. steelerdynasty2010 says: Jul 31, 2012 7:43 AM

i’ll give him 30 seconds…or until he has another mic in his face….whichever comes first

2. raiderinva says: Jul 31, 2012 7:54 AM

Once again Al Davis was right.

Big Al put the kibosh on Rob Ryan and his mouth when he was the D cord in Oakland.

3. east96st says: Jul 31, 2012 8:14 AM

“America likes the Ryans just fine…”

Actually, a fair number of us thought the entire act got really old fast when daddy was doing it. But, at least, Buddy could say he was the first. These two are just bad clones.

4. mojosmagic says: Jul 31, 2012 8:23 AM

The Cowboys haven’t been America’s team for two decades. Since Jimmy Johnson left they have a grand total of one playoff win. Every year the team and the media talks about”all their talent.? Well they either have overrated talent or overrated coaches because Cowboy success is never translated onto the field.

5. geefan1 says: Jul 31, 2012 8:38 AM

Good luck with that

6. rgwhodey says: Jul 31, 2012 9:28 AM

“America likes the Ryans just fine, but the fans of America’s Team would like one in particular more if his words held up this season.”

actually from what I’ve seen and read America hates the fat twins known as the Ryan brothers… they are the loud mouths of the NFL and need to learn to keep it shut

7. thejuddstir says: Jul 31, 2012 10:09 AM

Rob Ryan, Rex Ryan, Jonathan Vilma and Drew Brees……….as much as we all hated the Brett Favre dog and pony show, I’d rather listen and read about BF than the above mentioned clowns.

8. macdaddyspeed says: Jul 31, 2012 10:42 AM

Both Ryans are wayyyy too interested in the celebrity side of being and NFL coach.

9. CKL says: Jul 31, 2012 10:46 AM

I’ve always had a soft spot for Rob because he’s been pretty loyal to BB and grateful for what he learned but I can’t help thinking that he might have been able to stay in NE and take over from RAC if he wasn’t such a talker. His LBs in NE LOVED him.

10. dmvtransplant says: Jul 31, 2012 10:56 AM

Actually I like it when Rob talks. Like last year when he called out the Eagles and then lost both times to them I couldn’t stop laughing. Keep it up America needs more laughter.