Adrian Peterson AP

As NFL fans finalize their fantasy draft boards, Vikings running back Adrian Peterson cautions against dropping his name from it.

Asked by Paul Allen of KFAN on Wednesday whether it would be a mistake not to take Peterson in round one of a given fantasy draft.

“I would think so,” Peterson said.  “The way I look at it, to each his own. . . .  This whole offseason, I’ve been hearing that.  ‘Adrian, should we take you?  Will you be ready?’  Hey, I’ve got faith that I’m gonna be out there.  Do you have the faith?  That’s how you’re gonna get your reward.”

Currently on the PUP list, Peterson also said he’ll be carrying the ball during the preseason — and taking it into the end zone in Week One of the regular season, against the Jaguars.

“Yes,” Peterson said, “I expect to score.”

Peterson said that he was ready to get back to work the day after having surgery to fix a torn ACL suffered on December 24, and that he expects the Vikings offense to continue to lean on the running game.

If so, and if Peterson truly is healthy, he’ll be scoring plenty of touchdowns this year.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Adrian Peterson says it will be a mistake not to make him a fantasy first-rounder”
  1. contra74 says: Aug 1, 2012 3:55 PM

RB looks dicey this year. Depending on when I pick in round 1 it looks like Im going QB.

2. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Aug 1, 2012 3:56 PM

After Foster, Rice, and McCoy, who are you going to take instead of Peterson? Matt Forte?

3. geeeeemen says: Aug 1, 2012 3:57 PM

Every player recovering from ACL injury says they feel great when they get closer to practicing and playing. And I’m sure they do feel great, until another hit or fall re-injures his knee. Ask Terrell Thomas.

I would take Peterson in round 3.

4. t16rich says: Aug 1, 2012 3:59 PM

Congrats to the NFL players. 12 days without an arrest.

5. admiralgeneralaladeen says: Aug 1, 2012 3:59 PM

Would YOU doubt Adrian Peterson? That’s what I thought.

6. steelerhypocrite says: Aug 1, 2012 4:00 PM

Let’s be honest, the ONLY reason to watch the Vikings this year is if you have AP on your fantasy team…same for the Jags and MJD.

7. straightcash844 says: Aug 1, 2012 4:02 PM

The way I see it, most people won’t be gambling on him in the first round and those that get him after the first will be the ones that are standing at the end of the season on top because of the risk/reward they got by taking him in round 2-3

8. taintedsaints2009 says: Aug 1, 2012 4:04 PM

well it really worked out well last year against washington when Adrian was focusing on scoring points for his fantasy leaguers…

9. dino33624 says: Aug 1, 2012 4:07 PM

Let’s GO AP you are a Beast.

10. rodgers419 says: Aug 1, 2012 4:07 PM

I don’t know what’ll drop him more; injury concerns or having christian ponder as his qb.

11. beavertonsteve says: Aug 1, 2012 4:10 PM

Unless Peterson is picking himself in the first round with a game check on the line, I’m going to have to go with my gut and pass on him till the 2nd.

12. khmer379 says: Aug 1, 2012 4:15 PM

If I was in a fantasy league ill pick him he will be scoring alot of the goaline td

13. tcostant says: Aug 1, 2012 4:15 PM

I let others in my league pick him. Guys coming off ACL always under preform.

14. shirsc2 says: Aug 1, 2012 4:17 PM

Easy for AP to say, it’s not his entry fee!

15. daysend564 says: Aug 1, 2012 4:22 PM

A mistake I’m willing to make…

16. musicman495 says: Aug 1, 2012 4:26 PM

Good thing he has his mind on things that really matter – like fantasy teams – as opposed to something like…hanging onto the ball.

17. ballersgonnaball says: Aug 1, 2012 4:42 PM

He won’t be taking it into any endzone vs that stout Jags D.

18. linemanguy74 says: Aug 1, 2012 4:52 PM

Remember he plays in a division that doesn’t play very good defense

19. jebdamone says: Aug 1, 2012 4:53 PM

ill pick him in the second round if he is still there. WR are almost more valuable than RBs in my league anyway.

20. lnfinite says: Aug 1, 2012 5:01 PM

Love the confidence. AP comeback player of the year thanks to an upgraded line.

21. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 1, 2012 5:15 PM

i wouldnt take that risk, or take jamal charles in the 1st round either, it takes at least 2 years to recover from acl and these guys only have months since, really any rb is risky, cause so many share carries, its almost wise to pick a star wr like megatron or fitz over a rb nowadays

22. bhorn1240 says: Aug 1, 2012 5:24 PM

I wouldn’t take him until round 4. He will be long gone before then. He won’t have a good year.

23. deadeye says: Aug 1, 2012 5:34 PM

Why does he care what my fantasy football league does in the draft?

24. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Aug 1, 2012 5:41 PM

He wasn’t even a top 10 scoring back last year. Why would he be after injury?

25. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Aug 1, 2012 6:04 PM

Stupid Raiders Fan says:Aug 1, 2012 5:41 PM

He wasn’t even a top 10 scoring back last year. Why would he be after injury?
    _____

He only played 12 games last year. He had 13 touchdowns.

26. tigerphins says: Aug 1, 2012 6:47 PM

yeah, well he’s not the one with a season on the line if he fails.

27. wheezerswin says: Aug 1, 2012 7:54 PM

I hope for the Vikings sake he will play week 1, because he is the only good thing about that joke of a team. Maybe they will make good on next years #1 pick in the draft, But I doubt it.

28. jcg23 says: Aug 1, 2012 8:11 PM

Take Demarco Murray and you will not be sorry!

29. bobnelsonjr says: Aug 1, 2012 10:53 PM

More daydream fantasy from the land of make believe.

Peterson does not play on third down. He can’t pass block and can’t run a route or catch the ball.

Missing 40% of the season on the PUP list means missing a lot of 1st and second downs.

His production has been declining and he is getting old and over the hill.

He still has to go to court because of his criminal arrest. A suspension would further limit his chances of getting on the field to participate.

Talking fantasy football is all they have for sports talk in Minnesota. No Minnesota team has won more than their division for decades.

30. holdsteady76 says: Aug 3, 2012 10:18 AM

Adrian Peterson > Chuck Norris.

31. rtvikes says: Aug 5, 2012 5:31 AM

Bob Nelson jr, who is the WNBA Champions? And who was the last player suspended for a misdeminor? And whats this 40% of the season for the pup list stuff. If your going to post stuff, at least have some theeth to it. And the Vikings got CHEATED!! out of the NFC title three years ago and if i’m not mistaken the CHEATES won the Super Bowl.

32. rtvikes says: Aug 5, 2012 5:41 AM

Adrian had 13 touchdowns in 12 games and aprox 1000 yards prorated that puts his production at 17 touchdowns and over 1300 yards. Not bad for an overthehill RB. PS he is on pace to be one of the all time greats.