Brandon Spikes back in the middle of Patriots defense

Brandon Spikes AP

The Patriots have few complaints about Brandon Spikes when he’s on the field.

Getting him there has been the problem.

Getting that problem fixed cost him all the on-field work this spring, and he joined his teammates in the Patriots first defense for the first time Tuesday, according to Shalise Manza Young of the Boston Globe.

“Oh, absolutely,” Spikes said when asked if he was glad to be back. “Definitely. It’s kind of frustrating watching from the sideline but just to get out, run around, get a little contact, it feels good.”

Spikes said the pace of his comeback was mandated, as he was told to do walk-throughs and warm-ups, but was sent to the side. And when he talked to reporters after practice, he brought back memories of Ricky Williams by doing the interview with his helmet on.

“I’m just working to get out there full time, so like I say, whatever they ask me to do, I try to do it at 100 percent,” he said. “I’m just working to get better. I can’t put a percentage on it, like I said, it’s day by day and step by step.”

But any assumptions about Spikes staying on the field are hard to make, which will leave their improvement up in the air.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Brandon Spikes back in the middle of Patriots defense”
  1. jolink653 says: Aug 1, 2012 10:18 AM

If Spikes can figure out a way to stay healthy and Hightower can do during the games what he’s doing in practice then this LB corps has the potential to be scary good…they have the speed to go sideline to sideline as well as any group in the league and they’re great against the run plus the depth BB has assembled behind the starters is really good

2. canjura says: Aug 1, 2012 10:28 AM

“The third-year middle linebacker missed was suspended four games as a rookie, and missed seven last year with knee problems before returning for the playoffs.”

Hoping you meant to say missed while suspended four games as a rookie..

“If Spikes can stay on the field, the Patriots’ All-SEC linebacker corps (along with Jerod Mayo and Dont’a Hightower could could help them turn things around.”

Forgot your “)” after Dont’a Hightower.

These mistakes aren’t that big, though. Unless of course, you’re getting paid to write articles.

Zing.

3. patriots87 says: Aug 1, 2012 10:43 AM

im interested to see how the Jet’s new and improved Ground and Pound scheme is gonna work when there is 9 in the box and two of them is big ol Spikes and big ol Hightower. lets get this season started already.

4. turdfurgerson68 says: Aug 1, 2012 10:46 AM

I know this is going to elicit many ‘Belicheat’ comments but anyway…

I don’t think Belicheck and Nick Casiero get enough credit for rebuilding the defense on the fly; no ‘suck for Luck’ strategy in New England.

Granted, the secondary has been awful most of the time, but this defense is young and improving fast…god help Sanchez, Fitzpatrick, and Tannehill if the Patriots can generate any kind of pass rush.

Ok, I’ve said my piece…let the ‘Belicheat’ haters commence with their comments!

5. nxsteven says: Aug 1, 2012 10:50 AM

Mayo… Most overrated LB in the NFL. When was the last time the guy made a game changing play? Does he even play in the playoff?

I recall one, ONE, game changing play from the guy. When S Moss handed him the ball in the red zone. Saved the game.

6. rpmcanes says: Aug 1, 2012 11:32 AM

I like this LB corps but I’d much rather have a ballhawk like Tedy Bruschi. How many game changing turnovers did that guy force???

7. tfitz11 says: Aug 1, 2012 12:09 PM

I wish I was cool enough to write about every typo :/ On a serious not this lb group could be together for the next 5-7 years. Would be great if they can put it together

8. jtchernak says: Aug 1, 2012 12:18 PM

Brandon spikes is a playmaker prolly my favorite player along with wilfork on our d

9. CKL says: Aug 1, 2012 1:43 PM

Spikes has a little bit of crazy in him. You need that on your defense IMO. There’s no doubt that when he and Chung play, they bring the noise attitude wise.

10. surfinbird1 says: Aug 1, 2012 1:45 PM

Hope ‘Thumper” can stay healthy. Hardest hitter on the Pats defense.

11. Drummond says: Aug 1, 2012 2:25 PM

Bruschi, the most clutch, under-rated LB of all time.

Here’s wishing the best out of Spikes!

12. masinick says: Aug 1, 2012 4:45 PM

Spikes and Chung are the two defenders that seem to bring more disruption than anyone else; we’ll see if Hightower can add to that, along with pressure up from from Vince Wilfork and Kyle Love right up the middle and Rob Ninkovitch, Trevor Scott, Jonathan Fanane, Jermaine Cunningham, and combinations of others on the outside (either from 3-4 outside linebacker or 4-3 defensive end), plus number one pick in Chandler Jones, there are lots of possibilities for improvement.