Jamal Lewis arrested for failing to pay child support

Jamal Lewis

Former NFL running back Jamal Lewis was arrested on Tuesday in his native Georgia for failing to pay child support.

Lewis was charged with child abandonment, booked into jail late on Tuesday night and released shortly after midnight Wednesday, the Atlanta Journal Constitution reports.

The arrest warrant says that in addition to failing to live up to his financial obligations as a father, Lewis has also failed to do anything at all for his son, and they’ve had no contact for more than a year. This isn’t Lewis’s first brush with the law: He spent most of the 2005 offseason in prison after pleading guilty to drug charges.

Lewis filed for bankruptcy this year, claiming he couldn’t pay his debts even though he had more than $14 million in assets and only (only?) $10 million in debts.

Lewis played for the Ravens from 2000 to 2006 and for the Browns from 2007 to 2009. His 10,607 rushing yards rank 21st in NFL history, and his 2,066-yard season in 2003 is the second most prolific rushing season in NFL history.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Jamal Lewis arrested for failing to pay child support”
  1. acerockefellar says: Aug 1, 2012 10:24 PM

How come this doesnt say “Former Ravens Running back Arrested!!” like it would have if it was the lions?

2. iamthefootballjerk says: Aug 1, 2012 10:25 PM

Huge Ravens fan here … Please Ravens organization, do not put this guy in your Ring of Honor this year. I know it is all set up, but do the right thing and cancel.

I know this has nothing to do with football, but deadbeats should not be celebrated. Maybe in a few years, IF, he can get his stuff together.

3. bchapman2011 says: Aug 1, 2012 10:25 PM

I am guessing he will use the ever increasing nfl player concussion defense. He must have simply forgot to pay due to his concussion history or maybe the concussions made him forget he has children……..BUM

4. hulkhogansays says: Aug 1, 2012 10:32 PM

Scum. You lose all respect from me if you are a deadbeat father…NFL Career be damned.

5. covercorner says: Aug 1, 2012 10:33 PM

Uh oh! Who is going to run the ball for the Ravens this season?

6. cytofed says: Aug 1, 2012 10:33 PM

Appearently this guy never read the Osi memo of Tim Tebow. Another Jerry springer story in the nfl!

7. golanbatrac says: Aug 1, 2012 10:37 PM

“Unlike a lot of NFL players who end up broke shortly after the NFL careers are over, Lewis invested his money well. Besides owning a successful trucking company in Atlanta, he recently brought a 400 room hotel and Water Park in Columbus, Ohio, and a family and entertainment center in Atlanta.”

“When I was 21, I was building 14 sub division homes,” said Lewis. “A lot of these guys, when they are done, they want to just rest, keep vacationing and spending money. Instead of them investing or starting a business while they are playing that will keep similar money coming in when they retire, they buy a barbecue joint or something where they can’t even make a car note.”

“He said he approached Cleveland owner Randy Lerner about purchasing five percent of the team, and allowing him to run it, but Lerner declined.”

8. tdshouldbeinthehall says: Aug 1, 2012 10:58 PM

I dont understand men who dont want to be a part of their childs life.

9. skoobyfl says: Aug 1, 2012 11:00 PM

The Ravens love having hard hitting prisoners as players.

10. tfbuckfutter says: Aug 1, 2012 11:06 PM

Even though child support is based on income….It’s still a FIXED cost.

Plan accordingly instead of buying a new $200,000 car or $5,000,000 house you big idiots.

11. ctiggs says: Aug 1, 2012 11:38 PM

The child support payment parts do not upset me, one its generally a ridiculous amount and two you cant give what you dont have. BUT What does bother me is not seeing your child for over a year, kids dont care or even know much about money, being a good parent and showing love for your kid is priceless. Any one can be a father it takes a man to be a dad!

12. pjl3489 says: Aug 1, 2012 11:38 PM

As a Ravens fan and the son of a deadbeat, I agree with ‘footballjerk’ on this one. I cheered him on the field, but being a Raven is (or at least should be) more about what you do on the field. ‘Ring of Honor’ is not for you, Jamal. Nothing honorable about such stark irresponsibility.

13. greyhawk9 says: Aug 2, 2012 12:06 AM

i just cant understand how these players can squander away so much wealth so fast…?? it’s astounding.

14. beerbudsnbevo says: Aug 2, 2012 12:44 AM

How silly….

I don’t know where to begin….being taken over and over by the baby machine gold diggers….

Or blowing more money than all of us here on this blog will ever see….combined

Good news is I just saved a bunch of money on car insurance

15. randallflagg52 says: Aug 2, 2012 3:54 AM

This is bad, but it’s not like he’s a terrorist smypathizer, right Steeler fans?

16. camsfakesmile says: Aug 2, 2012 2:16 PM

I would never let any issues I had with a woman keep me from my child for year. That being said, no one is walking in Jamal’s shoes. Let the judge do the judging guys.