DeSean Jackson told Andy Reid: Don’t take me off punt returns

Eagles Camp Football AP

DeSean Jackson is OK with going from the Eagles’ primary punt returner to a part-time punt returner. But he would not be OK with becoming a no-time punt returner.

Jackson said on NFL AM that he told coach Andy Reid to remember him when the Eagles need a big return.

“I play wide receiver, don’t get me wrong,” Jackson said. “I have to be focused on wide receiver. But as far as punt return, I told coach Reid he can’t take me off of that. I might not be starting throughout the whole game, but here and there at spot times when they need me to go in there and spark the team up and make a big return, that’s what I’m going to do. But we have to game plan for all of the other teams; there are 31 other teams so we can’t just let them know what we’re going to do.”

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to “DeSean Jackson told Andy Reid: Don’t take me off punt returns”
  1. tombradyallday says: Aug 2, 2012 1:33 PM

tom coughlin is pissed he knows what jackson can do

2. youhavenoclue says: Aug 2, 2012 1:34 PM

DeSean Jackson = The Poor Man’s Mike Wallace

3. nflofficeadmin says: Aug 2, 2012 1:40 PM

Talking loud saying stupid things, reminds me of Moe Green.

4. flapjackdaddy says: Aug 2, 2012 1:40 PM

Honestly, he doesn’t touch the ball enough on offense for you to take him off PRs. PRs is where he makes many of his game-breaking plays.

5. sb50 says: Aug 2, 2012 1:42 PM

i understand that reid wants to save desean for offense and keep him healthy but desean is just too dangerous returning punts (when he wents to). I say put him out there as a part time punt returner. throw him in there only when its a close game.

6. fatcamper says: Aug 2, 2012 1:43 PM

As a Cowboys fan I couldn’t agree with DeSean more. I see absolutely nothing wrong with putting a game changer, which unfortunately he is, on the field in a high-risk position that he was ineffective at last year. I suggest putting Vick in at DT too.

7. firesnyder says: Aug 2, 2012 1:52 PM

Such an overrated receiver… i will, never again, honor him with a high round Fantasy Football pick.

8. chrisvegas says: Aug 2, 2012 1:57 PM

He didn’t do well last year because he was afraid to get hurt, but now that he is signed he can go back to being a dangerous returner.

9. gumbogumbo says: Aug 2, 2012 1:58 PM

I like the confidence. Good players should want the ball.

10. eaglesfootballfan says: Aug 2, 2012 2:01 PM

Just remind the Giants not to kick the ball to DeSean Jackson. We all know what he did at the New Meadowlands.

11. mancave001 says: Aug 2, 2012 2:08 PM

firesnyder says:
    Aug 2, 2012 1:52 PM
    ————————

I agree with not taking him high, but not for your reason. The Eagles spread it around too much. They have Maclin, McCoy at RB, Avant and Celek at TE. And of course, Vick can run (to say the least). I would never take Eagles’ revivers high for this reason.

However, he’s not “overrated” at all. When his head is straight (as I think it will be this year), he’s a game changing player.

12. 1943mrmojorisin1971 says: Aug 2, 2012 2:13 PM

If this is ever in question ll he needs to do is show Reid a looped video of his last-second return against the Giants.

13. clu1perceiver says: Aug 2, 2012 2:24 PM

First of all coach tells player, DeSean, not vice-versa. Secondly, if I was Andy Reid here is what I would say; Show me that you want to improve your craft as a pro WR, lose the knuckle headed demonstrations and I’ll think about it.

14. burgundyandgold says: Aug 2, 2012 2:25 PM

The fortunes in the NFC East are rapidly changing and the Eagles, their players and their fans do not know it yet. I love it. Better get that SB in 2012 Eagles because this is your last bite at the apple for quite sometime. You need to pray that Vick follows the President’s advice because, call me crazy, but I don’t think Kafka will be the next Tom Brady.

15. birdgang says: Aug 2, 2012 2:43 PM

He’s the poor-man’s Mike Wallace??? Too bad Desean has a 50 million dollar contract. In literal terms, Mike Wallace is just poor compared to Desean Jackson.

16. stercuilus65 says: Aug 2, 2012 2:56 PM

“Jackson has plenty of speed and the ability to make plays with the ball in his hands on punt returns, but he averaged a career-low 6.7 yards a return and failed to score a touchdown last season. So if Jackson wants to continue being a punt returner, he’ll need to perform better than he did last year when Reid does give him a chance.”
    ——————————————-
    What a stupid comment.
    A)He returned only 17 punts last year in 8 games as a returner.
    B)Having watched every return i would say on less than half had any chance for a big return due to either poor blocking or position
    C) Do you really Reid made him a part time returner because he’s losing it back there?
    Next time before writing such silliness THINK son!

17. soia311 says: Aug 2, 2012 3:41 PM

That 6.7 yard average would be a lot higher if opposing kickers would kick to him more… or if he’d stop running 15 yards backwards anytime there’s no hole to run through.

18. granadafan says: Aug 2, 2012 4:01 PM

Don’t forget punters weren’t kicking to him.

19. FinFan68 says: Aug 2, 2012 4:01 PM

sounds to me like he just wants some bragging rights. Doesn’t want the full workload but wants his ego stroked by getting the opportunities when “they need me to go in there and spark the team up” and the glory possibility is highest.

20. fmwarner says: Aug 2, 2012 4:07 PM

youhavenoclue says: Aug 2, 2012 1:34 PM

DeSean Jackson = The Poor Man’s Mike Wallace
    ==============================

He has the decided advantage of being under contract and actually on the field.

You know, as opposed to seeing his money just given to a teammate who’s going to be better than him.

21. youhavenoclue says: Aug 2, 2012 4:18 PM

lol. I counted atleast 3 eagles fans posting about the giants and how theyre scared of DeSean. Do u really think they give a crap lol. Yea you guys can boast about your miracles at the meadowlands while the giants and their fans bask in the glory of their 4 lombardi trophies

22. laeaglefan says: Aug 2, 2012 5:23 PM

Jackson didn’t perform well on punt returns last year because as soon as he caught the ball he either fell down into the fetal position as soon as a defender approached him or headed straight to the sideline. That’s when he didn’t signal for a fair catch, which he often did even when there was plenty of space between him and the nearest defender.
    That said, I agree that he shouldn’t be the primary punt returner. They should save him for key situations in the game, like they used to do with Brian Westbrook.

23. kingcarlbanks says: Aug 2, 2012 5:33 PM

Miracle at the Meadowlands, blah, blah, blah. If im picking one play to remember Jackson, I prefer him getting his bell rung against the Falcons. His momma felt that hit!

24. eaglestateofmind415 says: Aug 2, 2012 6:59 PM

It’s ok UN-eagle fans or HATERS.

The first player in NFL history to end a game winning punt return in regulation is OVERRATED.

The first player in NFL history to make the Pro Bowl as a Position player and return specialist is OVERRATED.

As an eagle fan yeah he’s a pin-head of a kid but he gets it done as a player. I think critics just over jade by his ignorance.