Eagles, Colts make a trade

Julio Jones,  Kevin Thomas AP

In a training camp transaction involving players who have a tough climb just to make the 53-man roster, the Eagles and Colts have made a trade.

Philadelphia has sent linebackers Moise Fokou and Greg Lloyd to Indianapolis in exchange for cornerback Kevin Thomas and a conditional seventh-round draft pick in 2013.

Fokou, a 2009 seventh-round pick, played in all 16 games for the Eagles last season and started seven. Lloyd, the son of former Steelers linebacker Greg Lloyd, was a seventh-round draft pick of the Eagles last year and never played as a rookie.

Thomas was a third-round pick of the Colts in 2010. He played in nine games last year, starting five.

This kind of bottom-of-the-roster trade usually involves players who weren’t likely to make the team. This trade probably means Fokou and Lloyd have a better chance of making the roster in Indianapolis than they did in Philadelphia, and that Thomas has a better chance of making the roster in Philadelphia than he did in Indianapolis. Which makes it a good trade for all involved.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Eagles, Colts make a trade”
  1. crm0055 says: Aug 2, 2012 7:00 PM

Kevin Thomas has been taking reps as a starter in Indy how does he have a better shot at making the roster in Philly?

2. jjbadd385 says: Aug 2, 2012 7:04 PM

If Lloyd is just half as good as his father he will be a solid LB. Now let me go and be depressed, I’m now commenting on sonsof once great players! Damn.

3. t16rich says: Aug 2, 2012 7:05 PM

Good luck to Fokou. Put in good work for a 7th round pick.

4. mojosmagic says: Aug 2, 2012 9:18 PM

There should be more player trades in the NFL.

5. thekingdp says: Aug 2, 2012 9:34 PM

jjbadd385 says:
    Aug 2, 2012 7:04 PM

——————

Unfortunately, young Lloyd has a few major knee surgeries under his belt. I don’t think he’s quick enough, or strong enough at the point-of-attack to warrant a ton of playing time in the NFL. But what the hell do I know? My NFL GM & Scouting experience is limited to Xbox.. He’ll probably end up a Pro Bowler.. lol..

6. Punk says: Aug 2, 2012 9:55 PM

Kevin Thomas WAS the starter. The fact they traded him means either he wasn’t going to be… or the coaching staff didn’t like his attitude.

How many trades have Indianapolis and Philadelphia made this offseason?

It is interesting that they traded for linebackers. That would indicate that Freeney and/or Mathis is struggling. Extra interesting because corner is a position the Colts are thin at, and they traded away one implying they think they are thinner at LB.

7. newagerocker says: Aug 2, 2012 10:33 PM

I see that Roseman is keeping Banners philosophy of shopping in the dented can isle.

8. highonluck says: Aug 3, 2012 8:40 AM

Considering that an allegedly “terrible” Justin King from St. Louis took Kevin Thomas’ spot in camp at starting 2nd corner, I will take this trade. We had a LB go down in camp. I could care less about Lloyd, but Fokou has seen a lot of games for a 7th pick. I like hungry guys like that on my team. Like you said though, both teams are looking for depth in this trade. None of the above can be starters for either team but with two LB’s coming in we might get better at special teams as well.

9. obsession55 says: Aug 3, 2012 11:46 AM

Thomas was awful…hopefully Fokou wont be

Solid trade

10. greengob1in says: Aug 4, 2012 6:10 PM

Any trade with the Colts is a bad trade. I don’t want anyone from that team.