Meachem gives Chargers a scare Wednesday night

Robert Meachem AP

Michael Gehlken of the Union-Tribune San Diego reports that Chargers receiver Robert Meachem suffered a possible injury in Wednesday night’s training camp practice. Per Gehlken, the injury was to Meachem’s right leg, and possibly his right knee.

Meachem has had right knee problems since his rookie year in New Orleans. He had the same knee scoped this past offseason.

Gehlken reports Meachem was able to walk off the field on his own power Wednesday night, which is a good sign. Coach Norv Turner stated in a post-practice presser that he doesn’t believe Meachem’s injury was anything serious, allowing that he still needs to speak to the Chargers’ head athletic trainer.

At this point, the injury sounds like no more than a tweak.

The Chargers signed Meachem to a four-year, $25.9 million contract in March.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
9 Responses to “Meachem gives Chargers a scare Wednesday night”
  1. cidman2001 says: Aug 2, 2012 2:00 AM

Something tells me the Chargers, and more pointedly AJ Smith, are going to really regret having to field Vincent Jackson questions the rest of the year…… In fact, it may just finally be AJ’s demise.

2. ilovefoolsball says: Aug 2, 2012 5:05 AM

He came into the league with injury issues and for at least the first two years wasnt right. He’s a good receiver but benefitted greatly from being in the Brees passing system where he wasn’t relied on to be the #1 guy. I’ve always wondered if his leg could handle the workload if he was ever asked to be more than a part of a system.

3. joetoronto says: Aug 2, 2012 6:04 AM

They should move this sorry team to Mexico City.

Or any city but San Diego.

4. stoogy says: Aug 2, 2012 6:48 AM

I hope he is ok so there is no excuses for when the raiders dominate them week 1.

5. whodatsaybaby says: Aug 2, 2012 6:50 AM

As a Saints fan, I’m sad to see Meach in another uniform. On the flip side, this guy in my opinion has way more upside then Vicent Jackson. He should be their clear choice for WR1, I mean outside of Antonio Gates.

6. broncosnative says: Aug 2, 2012 9:29 AM

The chargers got rid of one injury prone WR and picked up two more in royal and meachem, both not gonna play a full season and Rivers will struggle again. They just can’t get a break, but I hope they still compete with my broncos because they’re the only hope competition in the division and im sure you charger fans think the same of the broncos.

7. hpeters77 says: Aug 2, 2012 9:47 AM

As another saints fan we miss you meachem

8. djkeitse22 says: Aug 2, 2012 10:11 AM

Good Riddance Meachem. He just never seemed to give his all, either in route running or trying to get back on the field after an injury.

9. ricksaints says: Aug 2, 2012 3:58 PM

As a saints fan I do wish we would have resigned Meachem I think he had more upside than Henderson. But Meachem is no VJ. That’s only when VJ would decide to play. But I wish Meach the best and hope for a speedy recovery. Really hoping to see him do his best with this opportunity.