Heath Shuler “so excited” about Redskins landing RG3

Robert Griffin III, Jonathan Crompton, Heath Shuler AP

The Redskins’ previous franchise-saving draft pick quarterback thinks the next one is going to do just fine.

Heath Shuler, who contributed more to Washington as a Congressman than he did as a Redskins quarterback, visited camp and met Robert Griffin III, and said he “was so excited,” his old team landed the Baylor star.

“I’m sure it’s no different. I mean, the expectations are extremely high,” Shuler said of the pressure on Griffin, via Steve Yanda of the Washington Post. “That’s the reason I’m here. I watched this kid play, and I was so excited, just like everyone else. He was the person I was hoping the Redskins would select in the draft.

“So with expectations high, there’s going to be a lot of added pressure to him, and I think he’s someone who can really handle it. He’s handled pressure before, and I’m very encouraged by the things I’m able to see. We’ve just got to be mindful that it takes everyone. We’re going to have ups and downs as a team, and we’ve just got to hang in there with these guys and pull them through and support them.”

Since the Redskins drafted Shuler third overall in 1994, they hadn’t picked a quarterback that high until trading up to the second spot to get RG3 this year.

Shuler’s served as a U.S. Representative for North Carolina since 2007, but isn’t seeking re-election. He hadn’t been back to a Redskins practice since he was traded in 1996, but wanted to take the opportunity to bring his son along.

Shuler was pillaged back in his days, primarily because the Redskins went 9-23 in his two seasons, completed fewer than half his passes, with more than twice as many  interceptions as touchdowns.

But as much criticism as he took then, he said he took the experience as a positive.

“I read the papers,” Shuler said. “I’d come from the University of Tennessee and everything had been so good, and the path was always a paved road. There were no bumps along the way, and everything was perfect.

“And then you have these obstacles in the road, and it’s, ‘How are you going to handle them?’ Are you going to be a better person at the end of it? I think I’m a better person at the end of the day based upon what I had to go through here.”

With a little luck, Griffin doesn’t have to grow that way, and Redskins fans can only hope their next quarterback savior’s story doesn’t end in the same manner.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
10 Responses to “Heath Shuler “so excited” about Redskins landing RG3”
  1. realfootballfan says: Aug 4, 2012 10:24 AM

I’ve never been so wrong about a prospect. I thought Shuler and Michael Westbrook were going to be special together.

I remember one old time Redskin said when interviewed, we knew he couldn’t play the first day he got on the practice field, ouch.

2. hulkhogansays says: Aug 4, 2012 11:22 AM

Heath Shuler is a bad word in my household brother. Everytime anyone says it, they MUST put 5 cents into the swearjar.

3. jwreck says: Aug 4, 2012 11:45 AM

While Washington fans should be and deserve to be “so excited” about landing Griffin, there are some fans who just don’t need to comment on it publicly. It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. Romney lovers don’t need to hear that Bob Dole is “so excited” about Mitt landing the nomination, just as Obama’s base doesn’t want the wholehearted support of Michael Dukakis.

4. flyerscup2010 says: Aug 4, 2012 12:29 PM

Given that he’s in this Congress, I’m gonna politely disagree with you and say he actually contributed more as the Redskins’ QB.

5. jwreck says: Aug 4, 2012 1:24 PM

The Redskins’ previous franchise-saving draft pick quarterback
    ______
    Not so sure about the phrasing there. Shuler was intended to be a franchise quarterback, but it’s hardly fair to label someone as a “savior” when he is drafted less than 15 months after his team won a Lombardi Trophy.

6. larrybrown43 says: Aug 4, 2012 3:51 PM

Classy guy that Heath Shuler. I’m glad he’s still a fan and has developed further as a person.

Hail!!!

7. yelix says: Aug 4, 2012 4:16 PM

Heath Shuler is one of the rare draft bust quarterbacks who is fully willing to talk about his failed career. I can’t tell if that’s admirable or not.

8. defscottyb says: Aug 5, 2012 12:52 PM

When Shuler came in Gibbs had just retired a year earlier and free agency had started, different game. Sadly, the Skins glory days were over. Time to them back with RG3 and a new breed of champions. Hail!

9. defscottyb says: Aug 5, 2012 12:54 PM

When Shuler came in Gibbs had just retired a year earlier and free agency had started, different game. Sadly, the Skins glory days were over. Time to (BRING) them back with RG3 and a new breed of champions. Hail!

10. the3taveren says: Aug 8, 2012 12:39 PM

Mr Gantt said:
    “Shuler was pillaged back in his days, primarily because the Redskins went 9-23 in his two seasons, completed fewer than half his passes, with more than twice as many interceptions as touchdowns”
    ————————————————-

He can’t even get his stats right. Shuler was 4-9 during his two years. The other QBs (mostly Gus) went 5-14, so the Skins did go 9-23 but it is misleading. He through 13TDs and 19INTs in DC, while he went 2 -14 with the Saints. His career TD – INT record was 15 – 33. That is what Mr Gantt saw when he said he through more than twice as many picks as touchdowns.

Either way Shuler was a bust, but I can remember the scouting rports basically saying it was a toss up between him and Dilfer. But neither were very highly thought of.

Nothing like LUCK and RG3!

RG3 has SOOOO MUCH more hype and is rated at a much higher level than Shuler (and his 5 wonderlic score). Heath didn’t have the mental capability to be an NFL QB; BMitch had to call the plays in the huddle for him.

Good thing Congress requires a person with less mental capabilities than being and NFL QB.