Gerald McCoy is “out here on a mission”

Matt Ryan,  Gerald McCoy AP

At the 2010 draft, the Lions had to make a choice between defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy.  Not quite a Manning-Leaf conundrum, the decision for Detroit still wasn’t as easy as it appears to be in hindsight.

If McCoy has anything to say about it, the guy who to date has played Leaf to Suh’s Manning could close the gap in 2012.

“Gerald McCoy is out here on a mission,” Bucs defensive tackle Roy Miller said, per Ira Kaufman of the Tampa Tribune.  “He’s going against two Pro Bowl guards every day in Carl Nicks and Davin Joseph, and he’s making plays all over the field.  When you’ve got a guy with that kind of talent on a mission like that, something dangerous could happen.”

So far, the only danger (grave or otherwise) has been directed at McCoy.  He has been limited to 19 regular-season games in two years, thanks to bookend torn biceps in 2010 and 2011.  Last year, McCoy made it only to the team’s sixth game of the season.

But with Suh, the NFL’s defensive rookie of the year, taking a step back in 2011, the door is open for McCoy to make some noise in 2012.

“I just go out and play with a relentless effort, and that makes everyone around me better,” McCoy said.  “That’s what I’ve always been taught to do.’’

The new boss is a believer.  “I think he’s got elite get-off,” coach Greg Schiano said.  “I haven’t been around a lot of guys like that, maybe two or three.  He’d be further along if he hadn’t had the injuries the past two years.  I think he can be a really special player.”

Of course, injuries have a way of keeping a guy from performing at the highest possible level.  McCoy needs to stay healthy, regardless of whether his past problems were a fluke or whether former coach Raheem Morris was on to something when he blamed McCoy’s biceps injuries on poor tackling technique.

If McCoy can, then maybe he can avoid sliding into “bust” territory — and even make the Lions wonder a little whether they took the right guy.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
14 Responses to “Gerald McCoy is “out here on a mission””
  1. faulkn22 says: Aug 5, 2012 9:06 AM

I dunno, I don’t see many Lions fans clammering for change or exhibiting any buyers remorse. McCoy will always be second fiddle to Suh in the NFL unless Suh gets suspended for the rest of his career.

2. lionsmark09 says: Aug 5, 2012 9:13 AM

They are still very off from worrying if they made the right pick. Let’s be real. Suh will put that conversation to bed this year.

3. bucrightoff says: Aug 5, 2012 9:25 AM

I think the Leaf-Manning comparison is a little silly, since McCoy’s issue is staying healthy, not lacking in talent and ability (and Suh was average last year, not exactly the Manning trajectory). When he plays the Buccaneers win more games, period. He just needs to avoid injury and he’ll be right there as one of the best DTs in the league.

4. graphicwolfart says: Aug 5, 2012 9:26 AM

All it takes is an injury to Suh to change everything. Just as easily as it did for McCoy.

5. hyzers says: Aug 5, 2012 10:05 AM

If you’d rather have McCoy over Suh, you’re either delusional or dishonest.

And yeah, his sack total went down last year but he still had a ton of pressures despite teams focusing on him even more (and missing 2 games). His peers voted him the 38th best player in the league.

6. suhdidntstompanyone says: Aug 5, 2012 10:17 AM

There is zero doubt that the Lions made the right pick

7. hatesycophants says: Aug 5, 2012 10:23 AM

Ridiculous.

8. golions1 says: Aug 5, 2012 10:26 AM

McCoy has talent, and I hope he has a good year. As a Lions fan, I can tell you that there is absolutely no doubt that we are happy Suh was the pick, and to even hint that the Lions would rethink taking Suh over McCoy is ridiculous. It is not a fair comparison for McCoy. McCoy would be the 4th best DT in Detroit behind Suh, Nick Fairley, and Corey Williams. That doesn’t mean he isn’t good. I wish him good health and a good season.

9. Kaz says: Aug 5, 2012 12:50 PM

And just think Atkins may have turned out to be better than both of them….

10. michael713 says: Aug 5, 2012 1:34 PM

Wow !! Isn’t that a kick in the face??

11. mightyleemoon says: Aug 5, 2012 2:00 PM

Oddly enough, I never think of Suh when I see McCoy play…and vice versa. Neither are playing any fiddle. Comparisons die after the first year…unless you’re a blowhard that lives in the past.

12. pslbucfan says: Aug 5, 2012 6:37 PM

Gerald McCoy, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make it through a whole season intact. Oh, and get a few sacks too.

13. dboy10 says: Aug 6, 2012 2:11 AM

Mccoy will be good. But, even tho you can never predict the NFL, i feel really good saying that mccoy will NEVER be as good as Suh. Mccoy can play but suh should be an all-time great.

14. bucwild05 says: Aug 6, 2012 10:26 AM

McCoy made it through only 6 games last year, and through 6 games, the Bucs were 4-2. After he went out, what was there record again? That’s right..;. 0-10.
    Now, I’m not delusional, I know that he is not the sole reason, however, when my grandmother could run 100 yards through that line after he went out, teams had all the time in the world to pass, and could easily run the ball against the Buccaneers.

I hope McCoy stays healthy this year, and the Bucs will be the Dark Horse this year.