Greg Childs likely lost for season

Minnesota Vikings Minicamp Getty Images

Vikings rookie wide receiver Greg Childs was carted off the field with a leg injury during Saturday’s training camp practice. It appears the injury will be year-ending.

Tom Pelissero of 1500 ESPN Twin Cities reports that Childs suffered a “significant” injury to both knees and is “almost surely” done for the season. Considered a potential future first-round pick before rupturing his patellar tendon as a junior at Arkansas, Childs’ draft stock plummeted playing with a hitch in his gait as a senior. He was available to the Vikings in April’s fourth round.

Per Pelissero, the early fear is that Childs tore both patellar tendons.

The Vikings were hoping Childs would emerge as their starting split end early in the season, during Jerome Simpson’s three-game suspension. They will have to look elsewhere now. Expect G.M. Rick Spielman to scour the free-agent and trade markets at receiver this week.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Greg Childs likely lost for season”
  1. vikesorgtfo says: Aug 5, 2012 1:28 AM

BOTH knees on the same play… SMH of course this would happen to my Vikings. lol

2. asw1028 says: Aug 5, 2012 1:31 AM

Wow that’s awful, I remember when Gary Baxter blew out both his patella tendons against the Broncos. I’m going to root for this kid but an injury like that could end his career. Godspeed Childs, don’t give up!

3. starvinharvin says: Aug 5, 2012 1:33 AM

Dang, the Vikes just can’t catch a break lately. This is really too bad, was looking forward to seeing what this kid could do.

4. fdugrad says: Aug 5, 2012 1:34 AM

BOTH patellar tendons?!!? I hope he is close to completing his college degree at Arkansas, because it appears as though his vocational calling lies elsewhere, away from the gridiron. I wish him the best.

5. apooster says: Aug 5, 2012 1:35 AM

This sucks, he was doing really well in camp (players voted him as one of the guys who flashed). If he tore both his tendons in the same knee his career is most likely over.

6. nineroutsider says: Aug 5, 2012 1:37 AM

Hate to hear that, the Vikes really can’t afford to lose WRs.

Like I said before, this year camp seems rough regarding injuries. I just keep knocking on wood!

7. eaglesnoles05 says: Aug 5, 2012 1:45 AM

T.O.

8. vikingsnorth says: Aug 5, 2012 1:48 AM

Brutal. Both knees?! And likely his NFL career never made it to a preseason game. Sad turnout for both Greg AND the Vikings.

9. skolvikings12 says: Aug 5, 2012 1:54 AM

Poor kid, wish him the best.

10. zaktmt says: Aug 5, 2012 1:58 AM

If it’s true that it’s two torn patellar tendons. His career is as good as over. Which sucks because I was looking forward to seeing him play. I was stoked when the Vikes got him. Arceneaux and Burton better step up.

11. dubitodd123 says: Aug 5, 2012 2:04 AM

Plaxico!!

12. nflofficeadmin says: Aug 5, 2012 2:11 AM

Well, that’s a bust. Hopefully he can come back next year and give it a shot.

13. thetwilightsown says: Aug 5, 2012 4:10 AM

In other news, Plaxico Burress says there’s a rumor the Vikings are interested in him.

14. armorgan67 says: Aug 5, 2012 5:38 AM

I believe that same injury or something close to that happened to a Bears receiver (I can’t remember the receiver’s name) against the Eagles when the Eagles played at the Vet. The Vet was voted the worst playing surface in the league by the players year in and year out and that injury was one of the big reasons why the Eagles eventually got a new stadium. I hope Childs recovers enough to play again.

15. mattyjimmy says: Aug 5, 2012 6:24 AM

Wow. What a terrible day for Greg Childs. Keep working hard and put a big circle around week 1 next year.

16. treydogg97 says: Aug 5, 2012 8:06 AM

Wow, you really can’t make this team up.

I’d say just play the kids and see what happens. What’s the benefit of bringing in slow, cranky, washed up veterans?

17. giants56 says: Aug 5, 2012 8:43 AM

Was he on field turf? Seems like field turf eats ACL’s , Achilles tendon’s and Hamstrings…Knee cartilage seems to be doing well on field turf…

18. ninefingers9 says: Aug 5, 2012 9:15 AM

Jesus H Christ! What does God have against the Vikings?

19. onereasonableman says: Aug 5, 2012 9:20 AM

I really feel bad for this kid. It will be a long road back.

I’m a Browns fan and we just lost Gokong for the season. These injuries really suck.

I know they suck because I just dislocated my kneecap while on vacation and am sitting in a full leg brace. I wish I could say I was catching a pass during training camp when it happened the truth is far less impressive.

20. descendency says: Aug 5, 2012 9:49 AM

I was kind of mad when the Patriots didn’t draft this kid. I really felt he could be an elite WR in the NFL.

Blowing both patellar tendons on one play is devastating to his hopes of playing in the NFL very long.

21. jfreeisthebeesknees says: Aug 5, 2012 9:53 AM

Man, what awful news. Hey atleast he went ahead and got both of them torn on one play. What a freak accident. To offer some sort of consolation to this crappy news, Cadillac Williams tore different patellar tendons in consecutive seasons for my Bucs. After being released by the Bucs he put in some quality time for the Rams as a backup to Stephen Jackson. There is hope Vikes fans. I hope it isn’t as initially thought, however I wish him the best in his recovery.

22. thatswhatimsayin says: Aug 5, 2012 10:30 AM

Gregg Williams is still putting hits out on guys. Dang he’s good!

23. holdsteady76 says: Aug 5, 2012 11:12 AM

Hello, Mr. Burress this is Rick Spielman. May I call you Plax? How would you like a one year minimum contract with some incentives?

24. rodster213 says: Aug 5, 2012 12:15 PM