Mornhinweg, Castillo to oversee Eagles during Reid’s absence

ANDY REID, JUAN CASTILLO AP

Sunday morning brought the tragic news of the death of Garrett Reid, eldest son of Eagles coach Andy Reid.

“This news is heartbreaking for everyone in the Eagles family. Our hearts go out to Andy, his wife, Tammy, and their children,” said Eagles Chairman/CEO Jeffrey Lurie in a statement.

Football pales in comparison to such things, but the Eagles still have to prepare for the 2012 season. Eagles General Manager Howie Roseman said Sunday morning that training camp will continue as per Reid’s request. On that front, the team announced in the same statement that offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg and defensive coordinator Juan Castillo will be running the team while Reid and his family deal with their loss.

Mornhinweg was the head coach of the Lions in 2001 and 2002, compiling a 5-27 record over those seasons. Mornhinweg has been the offensive coordinator in Philly since 2006 and assistant head coach since 2004. Castillo has no previous head coaching experience and is in his second year running the Eagles defense after more than a decade as the team’s offensive line coach.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Mornhinweg, Castillo to oversee Eagles during Reid’s absence”
  1. juniormota says: Aug 5, 2012 11:06 AM

I express my sadness and my concerns for the Reid family I hope they can work through this
    I express my condolences for the Reid family

Hope we can win the superbowl for Garrett Reid this year

2. mungman69 says: Aug 5, 2012 11:16 AM

Time to take a break.

3. upperdecker19 says: Aug 5, 2012 11:25 AM

As easy as it is to pump out funny one liners about Juan/Marty….let’s remember the circumstances here gang.

As an Eagle fan, Juan/Marty have my full support. I hope they do well in an impossible situation.

RIP Garrett…….take your time Andy. I can’t imagine the pain that you and your family are going through.

4. cdaddy82 says: Aug 5, 2012 11:33 AM

RIP Garrett, my condolences go out to Andy Reid and his family.
    People need to to take a break, this is no time to be commenting on the state of the Eagles, this man just lost a son.

5. hpeters77 says: Aug 5, 2012 11:35 AM

so true thesportsguru7 so true. The one thing that should not be on Reid mind is football

6. ezdoesit209 says: Aug 5, 2012 11:38 AM

My heart felt condolences go out to the entire Reid family.
    At times like this football seems meaningless.

Sincerely on behalf of,
    Cowboys fans

7. godblessfootball says: Aug 5, 2012 11:39 AM

My condolences to the entire Reid family and to the Eagles organization.

8. bigbluefan1 says: Aug 5, 2012 11:53 AM

when it comes to Sunday one thing I am not is an fan of any Philly team

BUT today I pray for Andy and his family and hope that he forgets about the game.

You have a family take care of them you have made enough money to live well now you need to focus on those closest to you.

This should be a sad reminder to all of us to walk away from the job and see what is going on at home. Your kids need you more then a high end vacation or a new car sit down and talk to your kids find out what is really going on.

RIP young Mr. Reid

9. skoobyfl says: Aug 5, 2012 11:57 AM

Bills fans have no love for anyone normally, Andy & his family are now in our prayers.

10. volkantopalli says: Aug 5, 2012 12:02 PM

Sinecere condolences. Nothing, absolutely nothing, worse than losing one’s child.

Its also irresponsible for anyone to speculate on drug use or anything of that nature, not to mention irresponsible and disrespectful. Glad PFT is not engaging in that.

On a related note, how is it that when people post condolences on this board that someone gives it a thumbs down? How can you thumbs down a RIP or condolence wish?

11. defenestrati says: Aug 5, 2012 12:04 PM

I am usually King Smartass with regard to my Iggles, but …
    At a time like this, any person who either can’t refrain from taking potshots at Reid/Mornhinweg/Castillo or can’t help but give a “thumbs down” to an expression of support from [HORROR!] another team’s fan is, on a personal level, broken.
    Whether he did it to himself or it happened to him, I hope Garrett’s mom, dad, and siblings can eventually find some peace over this. The season starts when the season starts. Nothing changes that and there’s nothing to worry about on that front. In the meantime and beyond, I wish the Reid family — you know, actual people in actual pain — the best.

12. andyreidisarrogantandfat says: Aug 5, 2012 12:06 PM

Andy should have taken a longer abscence than 5 weeks the first time around when his house was called a drug emporium. It is time to put football on the back burner and put the family #1. it is just football. time to let it go fo a while. you are financially ok. take care of the other kids and your wife who are hurting.

13. geniusfan says: Aug 5, 2012 12:13 PM

Man this is truly tragic Andy Reid and his family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Hopefully as Howie Roseman put it Juan, Marty and the entire Eagles organization can be strong for coach Reid now.

14. flyeagles says: Aug 5, 2012 12:15 PM

I talked my fair share of trash about Castillo last year, but both him and Mornhinweg have my full support. Andy’s place right now is with his family, and that should be for however long it takes. My thoughts and prayers go out to Andy, his family and the entire Eagles organization.

15. phillyrick22 says: Aug 5, 2012 12:17 PM

R.I.P. my prayers and condolences go out to the Reid family. God bless. one love.

16. cowboysfromdallas says: Aug 5, 2012 12:18 PM

Our prayers are with you Mr. Reid.

17. gmen4life33 says: Aug 5, 2012 12:46 PM

Thoughts and prayers go out to the whole Reid family. I know football is not important right now, but hopefully the Eagles can rally around Andy and have a very strong season. Reid has done so much for the team, its time the players stepped up for him.

Feels weird saying it, but Go Eagles!

18. kenny328usa says: Aug 5, 2012 12:50 PM

God bless you and your family Coach

19. djcase31 says: Aug 5, 2012 12:52 PM

Sad news sorry for your loss Andy hope and praying for your family in this time of sadness.

20. kingcarlbanks says: Aug 5, 2012 1:17 PM

I don’t have the words. Peaceful journey Garrett.

21. professorskittles says: Aug 5, 2012 2:03 PM

How exactly does “My condolences to the entire Reid family and to the Eagles organization” get 7 thumbs down?

22. vanmorrissey says: Aug 5, 2012 2:03 PM

Don’t know how Mr. Reid can even think of going back to work, everything else is secondary now. Almost lost my son and everyday I thank my God for having him here with us. Time heals the wound but it will never replace your boy. Keep those memories of him deep in your heart and know that he’s at peace.

23. adm350 says: Aug 5, 2012 3:10 PM

Prayers go out to the Reid family. Truly classless to imply anything of the sort that Andy did not do everything he could have. No one walks in his shoes. God bless. Let’s leave them in peace.