Blackout lifted for Packers-Chargers game

Test+Pattern

Somehow, the Chargers have managed to sell since Saturday more than 3,000 non-premium seats to a meaningless preseason game against the Packers.  (Maybe they marketed to Chiefs fans.  Again.)

The Chargers have announced that the blackout has been lifted for the preseason home opener.

It’s unknown whether and to what extent the Chargers bought extra tickets at 34 cents on the dollar in order to ensure that the nationally-televised ESPN game will be televised in San Diego, too.

The Chargers are among the teams that have opted not to relax the minimum threshold for avoiding a blackout.  Final decisions from all teams are due by Thursday, August 9.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
18 Responses to “Blackout lifted for Packers-Chargers game”
  1. kane337 says: Aug 6, 2012 10:07 PM

The NFL has blackout rules for pre season games????

2. sgtdick6262 says: Aug 6, 2012 10:12 PM

I’m a Packer fan. I noticed the Colts start selling regular season single game tickets tomorrow morning. I then noticed that the Colts are only packaging their Packers home regular season game single ticket with their Bengals pre-season game. What a sham. because I’m part of the world’s greatest fan base I get shafted with a doubled price ticket compare to their other 7 home dates. Pathetic Indianapolis.

3. zoxitic says: Aug 6, 2012 10:15 PM

Non premium games at premium prices. bend over.

4. sask9999 says: Aug 6, 2012 10:15 PM

If you can’t sellout, when the Packers come to town, you don’t deserve a franchise. I don’t care if it’s preseason.

5. zappa69 says: Aug 6, 2012 10:23 PM

6. norvturnersneck says: Aug 6, 2012 10:44 PM

Yeah, a meaningless preseason game

7. roadtrip3500 says: Aug 6, 2012 10:57 PM

The extra sales are likely because of Shannon Eastin (first female NFL official) being Thursday evening’s line judge. Meaningless pre-season game, but historic event.

8. blackandbluedivision says: Aug 6, 2012 11:06 PM

First woman referee. Guys bringing their spouses and girlfriends.

9. gbbvan says: Aug 6, 2012 11:12 PM

It’s the Packer fans!

10. sportsnut54311 says: Aug 6, 2012 11:44 PM

I agree with zoxitic, the NFL is the only league that charges full price for pre-season games. For Indy to package that with a reg. season game totally blows!

11. broncosnative says: Aug 7, 2012 12:22 AM

What a shame, all the talent but can’t sell out games. Where are you charger fans, support your team or else they’re gonna move to LA and change the name

12. chargerdillon says: Aug 7, 2012 12:55 AM

I live 20 minutes from the stadium….as a local San Diegan I can tell you…
    1. Spanos family is too cheap to pay for those tickets
    2. Local supporters wont dish out for preseason
    3. The only suckers who have preseason tickets are people who pay for season tickets
    4. Packers fanbase is stupid enough to pay for tickets in another stadium they wont even fill

4 is my theory on the matter, GO PACK GO!

13. mrgroovesd says: Aug 7, 2012 1:13 AM

All that matters is they sold enough tickets for a meaningless game. I wonder if any of the Florida teams will be able to do the same?

14. robgilman says: Aug 7, 2012 1:36 AM

Way to go Packer faithful!

15. kidpresentable says: Aug 7, 2012 9:12 AM

“Amazing! The Packers are picked to win it all and they get blacked out? The Giants and Pats never have a problem selling out while on the road.”

Really? Of all the things to rip on the Packers for, you pick their inability to sell out a 2,000-mile-away road preseason game in a poor football town earlier than they did? This team just sold out Lambeau Field for a scrimmage – a glorified practice! Pardon Packer fans for not ponying up the dough to fly four hours to watch Aaron Rodgers play one series in a meaningless game. What a bunch of frontrunners.

16. db105 says: Aug 7, 2012 10:17 AM

Who other than season ticket holders are paying full price for a preseason game?

17. chi01town says: Aug 7, 2012 8:47 PM

The Packers think that because they show up people will buy tickets
    ” NEWS FLASH ” You are NOT that good an BRETT FARVE is gone. The people in San Diego will buy tickets to see The Dallas Cowboys… You know…. America’s Team but Greenbay aint that exciting in San Diego…. Ps….. Hold the cheese

18. dasmol says: Aug 8, 2012 4:40 PM

@ Chargerdillon

You nailed it. I sold my preseason tickets on the cheap, to a family member who is also a Packer fan.

Preseason is horrible. The games don’t matter so I can’t get riled up for them. Then I sit there, bored, hoping nobody gets hurt, and paying regular season prices all the while.

I’ll probably go to the next preseason game just to hone the grill skills.

It’s ridiculous that any team be ripped for not selling out a preseason game. Regardless of opponent.