Chargers players welcome female official Shannon Eastin

Knicks' Anthony reacts as he listens to Magic's head coach Stan Van Gundy argue with referee Violet Palmer in their NBA basketball game in New York Reuters

With Shannon Eastin set to break the gender barrier Thursday, as the first woman to officiate an NFL game, it’s probably (sadly) inevitable that some football player will make a sexist remark.

Thankfully, the Chargers aren’t going to be that team.

Several San Diego players told Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego they welcomed the move, with several referencing the NBA’s Violet Palmer — one of the first two female referees, and the only one still working.

Eastin, one of the replacement officials during the league’s lockout of its regular refs, has been assigned the Chargers-Packers game Thursday.

“If they’re doing it in the NBA, why not the NFL?” fullback Le’Ron McClain said. “I think woman referees in the NBA are doing a great job, so I think it’s a great idea, giving her the opportunity to be out there, calling football.

“It’ll feel kind of weird seeing a lady out there, but I think she’ll do a good job with it.”

Eastin has worked at the low levels of Division I college football, calling games in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference.

“Good,” tight end Randy McMichael said when told of Eastin’s assignment. “I think it really shows a step in the right direction. I remember going to a couple basketball games and seeing a woman referee refereeing NBA basketball games.

“I think it’s really good. A woman is just as capable as a man to do anything.”

Again, not every player is going to take such an enlightened view. Especially if Eastin makes a call against their team.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
28 Responses to “Chargers players welcome female official Shannon Eastin”
  1. mjbulls45 says: Aug 6, 2012 5:34 PM

thats because females represent about 80% of the chargers fan base

2. cometophillyforthecrack says: Aug 6, 2012 5:35 PM

Bus Cook is working a deal out for Favre to go to San Diego right now.

3. wwwmattcom says: Aug 6, 2012 5:36 PM

Male or female I will probably disagree with the call made. Not a job I want. Good luck to her. The buffalo bills love that she has an NFL job. Wink wink.

4. randallflagg52 says: Aug 6, 2012 5:43 PM

First we let them own land, then we let them vote, and now this! When will the madness stop?

5. mrpilsner says: Aug 6, 2012 5:44 PM

Wonder if she’ll flex her Hochulis?

hubba hubba

6. bleedcoltsblue says: Aug 6, 2012 5:47 PM

What is the spread?

7. cometophillyforthecrack says: Aug 6, 2012 5:53 PM

mjbulls45 says:Aug 6, 2012 5:34 PM

thats because females represent about 80% of the chargers fan base
    ===========

…Don’t forget 80% of their QB’s too.

8. r8rsfan says: Aug 6, 2012 5:54 PM

mjbulls45 says:
    Aug 6, 2012 5:34 PM
    thats because females represent about 80% of the chargers fan base
    ———————–
    The other 20% used to be females.

9. sharksman says: Aug 6, 2012 6:06 PM

Good,” tight end Randy McMichael said

10. brmorgen82 says: Aug 6, 2012 6:08 PM

Um let me clue you in on something there Darin Gantt (who??), but Violet Palmer is universally regarded as THE worst official in the NBA, now that Tim Donaghy has been kicked out of the league. If you actually watched the NBA instead of eating up every word of the corrupt, soft, liberal media, you would know how terrible of an official Violet Palmer is. That’s not saying that this NFL ref will be bad too, but again Violet Palmer is an awful, awful ref.

11. seattlerogueburner says: Aug 6, 2012 6:23 PM

I have no problem with women refs. As long as they’re tough skinned.

Don’t wanna see Megatron cutting down the middle, running into the striped shirt, and have her carted off.

12. bigdinla says: Aug 6, 2012 6:24 PM

I still think it has to be hard to ref a sport you never played. I hope she does a good job, but I am very skeptical.

13. hulkhogansays says: Aug 6, 2012 6:26 PM

Brett Favre was in attendance in a strange coincidence.

14. dannymac17 says: Aug 6, 2012 6:27 PM

mjbulls45 is the same dolt that said the Raiders owned the LA market too.

15. taylorgang24 says: Aug 6, 2012 6:31 PM

Silly comment. Women can’t do everything men do. And men can’t do everything women do. Equality doesn’t necessitate being equals.

16. wringworm says: Aug 6, 2012 6:40 PM

This is a natural fit since women are great at criticizing men’s performances.

Best of luck Shannon! Watch out for those “accidental tackles” that refs get bunched up in. Those of us that have been in the middle of one of the pile ups know what value a face mask has to keeping JUNK off your grill.

17. chargerdillon says: Aug 6, 2012 6:44 PM

I absolutely don’t see any problem with it, but I do think of the few times where the refs have gotten in the way and taken a shot to the face with the football or been totally run over.

Not in any way saying they can’t do the job, hell it’s not a job id want, I just hope much like the male refs, none of them get hurt.

I just consider the fact that the refs have learned where to be and not be over their time, i certainly hope nothing happens to the newbies.

18. prmpft says: Aug 6, 2012 6:46 PM

the nflra should add that to the list of errors.

19. kevpft says: Aug 6, 2012 6:50 PM

Thank goodness we have football blog commenters, who are not only more qualified to opine than players, but also demonstrate much more class.

20. suite34 says: Aug 6, 2012 6:53 PM

After failing to capitalize on her 80s hits such as “Mornin’ Train” and “U Got the Look,” it’s nice to see she’s carved out a successful second career as an NFL referee.

21. vetdana says: Aug 6, 2012 8:04 PM

We have seen many ” Female Firsts” ..in Combat Arms, Olympic Weight Lifting, NFL Refereeing etc….and the big question of course is….When will we see this first NFL Female Player ?[ perhaps a punter or field goal kicker first and then…the sky is the limit !

22. stinkinfish says: Aug 6, 2012 8:20 PM

I think there was an error in the punctuation:

“Good, tight end,” Randy McMichael said.

23. lilrob10201 says: Aug 6, 2012 8:45 PM

I thought she was going to be a Granny.I was going to say how would it look if there was a granny out on the field throwing flags everywhere.

24. ctiggs says: Aug 6, 2012 9:07 PM

“THE KITCHEN”?

25. cuda1234 says: Aug 6, 2012 11:32 PM

Is she really the best official available or just a sexist move for the sake of political correctness (like Danica Patrick)? I remember when sports was a meritocracy.

26. randallflagg52 says: Aug 7, 2012 12:27 AM

I’m just saying it wasn’t a woman who built the Golden Gate Bridge, Jefferson Memorial or the St. Louis Arch. I wasn’t a woman who first stepped foot on the moon, hit the beach first at Normandy or defeated Napoleon’s navy at Trafalgar. Not sure I trust them to even officiate a pre-season game…

27. invaiduh says: Aug 7, 2012 4:43 PM

a chargers game….

so easy a girl can do it.

28. invaiduh says: Aug 7, 2012 4:48 PM

everyone wants equal rights until its inconvenient.

ps hold yer breath on that “skys the limit” thing. Lmao.