Champ Bailey: Manning is making Broncos defense better

Peyton Manning AP

Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning doesn’t love hearing his teammates gush about Manning’s in-practice performances. “I hate it,” he recently told SI.com’s Peter King.

But that hasn’t stopped the Broncos players from doing it.

All-Pro cornerback Champ Bailey says Manning’s presence has already helped the Broncos’ defense on the practice field, because it prepares them for an opposing passer capable of making pinpoint throws.

“It’s been tough, but that’s the way I want practice to be,” Bailey told KKFN in Denver. “I want practice to be harder than the games, tougher than the games, and that’s what he does for us. He gets us prepared.

“I know a lot of quarterbacks that we’re gonna face who are not gonna put the ball on the money all the time. And that’s what Peyton does. Every ball he puts out there is on the money — you really don’t have a chance to intercept it most of the time. So I welcome that challenge, because he’s just making us better.”

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Champ Bailey: Manning is making Broncos defense better”
  1. daysend564 says: Aug 7, 2012 4:45 PM

Making the defense better because they know they’ll have to hold down the ship with bobblehead Manning is carted off the field.

2. yesimabillsfan says: Aug 7, 2012 4:48 PM

I’m a diehard bills fan but Peyton is the man

3. NakedCowboy! says: Aug 7, 2012 5:27 PM

it didnt really do much good in indi… all they had going for defense in last decade is the pass rush from the edge… besides that it was a pretty avg defense…
    broncos d was awesome down the stretch when tbone was playing qb… if they can sustain that level then broncos would make the playoffs this year again and be a contender…

4. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 7, 2012 5:40 PM

Throwing under 15 yards, and that makes yr D better??? Broncos in for a long season

5. mflo951 says: Aug 7, 2012 5:49 PM

Ask Tracy Porter if every ball Manning throws is on the money.

6. jlb10 says: Aug 7, 2012 6:20 PM

broncos defense was below average last year. they finished 20th. they were improved but still were not that good. everyone acts as it they were a top 5 defense. afc west will be a mess this year. much like last year

7. pastabelly says: Aug 7, 2012 6:59 PM

Last we saw of that defense, Tom Brady lit them up for 35 points in the first half before they evoked the mercy rule.

8. foradenverbroncotouchdown says: Aug 7, 2012 7:48 PM

I CANNOT WAIT for football. huge broncos fan, but i’m so eager to hear everyone shut up about how they’ll do. when they win or lose, THEN people can talk. just a sneaking suspicion, but i think more W’s than L’s.

9. broncosnative says: Aug 7, 2012 9:58 PM

Can’t wait to see my broncos in action Thursday, maybe it take one game alto shut the nay sayers up. Bears has a good defense so it wont be an easy game for the broncos with the first stringers

10. dlc618 says: Aug 8, 2012 11:58 AM

I can’t wait for the broncos to have a worse season than last..I am going to laugh my butt off!!!!!!! Manning will lead the league in interceptions this year.