Jeffrey Lurie indicates Andy Reid will coach on Thursday night

Eagles Reid Son Football AP

Members of the football world gathered in Broomall, Pennsylvania on Tuesday for the funeral of Garrett Reid, the eldest son of Eagles coach Andy Reid who was found dead in his dorm room at the team’s training camp on Monday morning.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, Patriots coach Bill Belichick, Saints coach Joe Vitt and defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Browns president Mike Holmgren and Eagles players past and present were among the estimated 900 people that turned out for the service. Ravens coach John Harbaugh, a former assistant under Reid in Philly, spoke to reporters after the service and gave an impression of how Reid is holding up.

“Andy wrapped me up in a big bear hug and told me everything was going to be all right,” Harbaugh said, via Mike Greger of Metro Philadelphia.

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie also stopped to speak with reporters and addressed the question of when Reid would be back with the team. Zach Berman of the Philadelphia Inquirer passes along that Lurie said Reid is free to take as much time as he needs with his family, but that all indications are that Reid will coach the Eagles in their preseason opener against the Steelers on Thursday night.

There may be some who question Reid’s timeline for returning to work, whenever he returns to work, but that’s not going to happen here. We’ll merely send our condolences to the Reid family once more on what has to be an incredibly difficult day for them.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Jeffrey Lurie indicates Andy Reid will coach on Thursday night”
  1. huskersrock1 says: Aug 7, 2012 1:12 PM

Go home and be with your family Andy, these game don’t mean sh–…

2. tundey says: Aug 7, 2012 1:13 PM

I don’t question’s Andy Reid’s timing specifically. But I wonder what kind of profession does this much damage to its people? I remember reading a story about the Green Bay Packers coaches getting back to work a ridiculously small amount of days after their super bowl win. So they can’t even enjoy the highs for long.

3. bgsusteelers says: Aug 7, 2012 1:19 PM

I’m sorry to say this, but at what point does family become more important than football? Don’t get me wrong, I feel bad for Andy and his family, but this just happened a few days ago. Don’t you think his wife and other children need him right now? I mean, he should have taken a leave of absence years ago when it was obvious his son had problems. A cry for help possibly, but Andy couldn’t give up football. Now his son is dead before age 30, and a few days later he is back to football 24/7. I know for some people getting back to work helps you cope, but that’s with time. We also don’t have 100 per week jobs that keep us away from home for days at a time either. We can work out 50 hour weeks and then cope with our family. His family needs him more than ever right now. I hate to say it, but Andy Reid is as addicted to football as his son was to drugs, an being that addicted to one thing is never healthy.

4. bennyblanco99 says: Aug 7, 2012 1:24 PM

From a diehard 49er fan… My condolences to the Reid family at this most difficult time. I believe Andy will be there to honor his son and the team will play hard for him even though it’s just a preseason game. The coaches and players in the NFL didn’t make it this far on accident… when tragedy happens they still continue to move forward because that’s how champions are made.

5. mybrunoblog says: Aug 7, 2012 1:26 PM

NFL coaching is brutal. These guys routinely put in 14 hour days. Sometimes more. Must be tough on their family life. Moving from city to city every few years.
    No wonder why these guys leave coaching to join the media.

6. nflofficeadmin says: Aug 7, 2012 1:26 PM

embarrassment. why don’t you spend sometime with your wife – she lost a son too, rather than just do what you want to do, which is hide from reality at work.

7. chrisvegas says: Aug 7, 2012 1:28 PM

That is his choice and I respect that. Everyone deals with death differently. If it were me I think I would do the same. I would go crazy staying at home thinking about it, so I would try and stay busy. For all those who question his decision, you are all just a bunch of hypocrites.

8. jpb12 says: Aug 7, 2012 1:36 PM

Then why bring it up?

“There may be some who question Reid’s timeline for returning to work, whenever he returns to work, but that’s not going to happen here.”

9. aigraiders says: Aug 7, 2012 1:42 PM

Apparently Randy has failed in his parenting responsibility. The fact that he would go back to work this soon only tells me he has absolutely no sense of reality. Both of his kids were drug addicts and one eventually died. My hunch is the kids wouldnt be this bad if Andy had not been away from home so much in their years. Tony Dungy realized this and walked away from coaching. You can always chase another SB. You can’t replace your kid.

10. sterilizecromartie says: Aug 7, 2012 1:52 PM

Anyone who questions when and why Reid returns to work is just wrong. Everyone deals with grief in different ways. Some curl up and cry for weeks. Some get drunk. Some can’t even muster the strength to get out of bed. And some feel they need to get back to their normal routine. Andy should return to work whenever he feels like it. And whenever that is, it shouldn’t be questioned by anyone.

11. mhalt99 says: Aug 7, 2012 1:53 PM

“But I wonder what kind of profession does this much damage to its people”

Pretty much every profession where one is trying to live off of minimum wage. Not to be too crass, but, there are millions of people who don’t even get time off for a sick day if they have a cold/flu and will lose their job if they miss work – many people have to decide between their job and whether or not to pick up their sick child at school.

Mr. Reid should take whatever time he deems necessary. I have seen multiple people question the coaching profession, yet overlook many of the hard working, struggling Americans who work two or three jobs because their firms will not hire them full time.

12. datruth2100 says: Aug 7, 2012 2:03 PM

I read somewhere that in the mormon religion you only grieve for 3 days before you have to get back to your daily routine. So while it may seem like he only cares about his career or that doesn’t care he’s simply practicing his faith. With that said nobody knows what’s running through his head. When my mother died my grand mom didnt cry, not because she didnt care but because she knew she had to be strong for the rest of the family.

13. dawkphan says: Aug 7, 2012 2:06 PM

I will not judge Coach as to when he wants to come back. everyone has their own way of dealing with greif / loss. whatever he wants to do it’s fine with me.

14. whyamiacowboysfanagain says: Aug 7, 2012 2:07 PM

As tragic a story as this is, you can’t help but wonder what’s going on in Andy Reid’s head? Not that he seemingly will coach a preseason game DAYS after the death of his oldest son, but the fact that he decided to coach AT ALL when his kids started getting in trouble.

15. shamburg says: Aug 7, 2012 2:08 PM

The thing people outside of football dont realize is that to Andy and others like him, football is their love, their passion, their life. Getting back to football isn’t like being rushed back to the office. Football is their coping mechanism. The team is their extended family. It provides stability and allows them to deal with tragedy. It may seam extream to us, but to people in that world, its accepted and even expected to get back there. I’m sure Garrett would want Andy to be with the team, just as Garrett would want to be with the team if he could.

16. baned0n says: Aug 7, 2012 2:10 PM

Guys, a whole lot of people need to go back to work quickly after something like this. When they aren’t working, they think to much. Concentrating on work gets their mind off of things. We all deal with grief in our own way, and obviously Andy feels like he needs to get back to football. Who are we to tell him he shouldn’t?

17. cowboycjn says: Aug 7, 2012 2:12 PM

Different people deal with stress in various ways. Some want to be alone to think and remember the good times, others want people around them to keep em busy. He is the only one that can deal with how much quiet time he needs vs. being in a thinking active scene to keep his mind occupied. Regardless, losing a child is a very stressful hardship a parent must deal with. Friends and faith will ease his burden.

18. benchwarmer69 says: Aug 7, 2012 2:21 PM

Just saying here…Tony Dungy did the same thing.

Slight differences, but similar situation.

19. greymares says: Aug 7, 2012 2:29 PM

For those of you that think a lack of parenting or poor parenting or not being HOME for your kids is the cause of addiction, I feel sorry for you people. For those of you that question his desire to get back to work, I beleive most people are entitled to 3 days away from their jobs for the loss of a family member.

20. lance19 says: Aug 7, 2012 2:40 PM

For a lot of people, the best way too deal with
    extreme grief is to occupy yourself fully,
    so the bad news doesn’t overwhelm you.

The last thing Reid needs is myopic, judgmental clowns pretending they know how someone else should deal with a tragedy.

21. lks311 says: Aug 7, 2012 2:54 PM

bennyblanco99 says:Aug 7, 2012 1:24 PM

_______________________________

What kind of rhetoric is this? That’s how champions are made? More like that’s how families are lost. Andy’s not splitting Atoms or curing Cancer. It’s a game. We all like watching football, but at the end of the day, it’s a game. Go home Andy. Spend time with your family.

22. pftcensorssuck says: Aug 7, 2012 3:32 PM

shamburg says:Aug 7, 2012 2:08 PM
    ———————————————————
    I’m more sure that Garrett would have just wanted his dad to pay more attention that his drug-addicted son was doing drugs right under his nose in training camp and he was too busy to look for signs.

Your son just died from a problem he’s been battling for years. Take your damn nose out of a playbook long enough to save the other troubled son, Andy.

23. rhodeislandpatriotsfan says: Aug 7, 2012 3:42 PM

That was a classy gesture on the part of “The Hoodie,” who clearly has a great deal of respect for his friend and colleague, Coach Andy Reid.

24. arlingtonsynn says: Aug 7, 2012 3:58 PM

The irony of all this…

Leading up to the draft, team front offices routinely scrutinize the personal/family lives of potential players. This means scrutinizing Janoris Jenkins’ lack of birth control or Dez Bryant’s mother’s occupation.

Yet seemingly these same front offices will ignore personal issues that impact entirely more important parts of the organization. So Sean Payton’s *potential* pill addiction or the fact that Reid’s sons were in a race to consume every drug imaginable.

Andy Reid should have been given a year off, for both his sake and for the organization’s sake when both his sons were arrested in a 24 hour period.

Now the irony of the situation aside, Reid deserves the ability to grieve in the manner that is best for both him and his remaining family.

25. tundey says: Aug 7, 2012 4:16 PM

@mhalt99: Perhaps I should have been clearer in my question: what kind of highly-paid profession does this to it’s people? Yes minimum wage earners and even middle-class folks *need* to work 5 days (or more) to make ends meet. But all NFL coaches are very handsomely compensated.

26. chip56 says: Aug 7, 2012 4:49 PM

It’s a touchy subject. On the one hand yes everyone does handle tragedy differently. On the other hand, this is not the first time his family has been in trouble.

I hate to say it, and it may sound cold, but you have to wonder if Andy had taken some time away from the game when his sons were in trouble a few years ago if he could have prevented this.

I’m sure Andy is probably thinking the same thing. And I’m sure that thought is tearing him up. If it were me though – coaching a pre-season game wouldn’t be anywhere near the top of my list of things to do.

27. glac1 says: Aug 7, 2012 5:10 PM

He needs to be with his family. It comes down to priorities…like God, family and work….

28. socaljim23 says: Aug 7, 2012 5:29 PM

Look. everyone has to deal with death in their own way. IMO one has to soldier on, but remembering those who have passed on doesnot stop. Thinking of them, whether at work or not eventually reduces the pain. Coach Reid is choosing his way. I say the Eagles will fly from Thursday onward.

29. devrick says: Aug 7, 2012 5:55 PM

I’m sure the team needs him way more than his family does right now.

30. danielboyd72 says: Aug 8, 2012 12:36 AM

First, RIP G. Reid. Second, may God bless Andy, his family & the Eagles. Last, I pray that none of you that are judging never have to go through what Andy and his family are going through and I hope you decide to repent.

None of us are qualified or have power to judge or change his mind. That is up to God so leave it with God.

How Andy as a man, coach, provider, husband & father makes HIS decisions should be left up to him, his family, his employer & ultimately through the guidance of his lord and savior.

Leave it that.

Sincerely,
    A die hard Eagles fan.

31. ackid47 says: Aug 8, 2012 1:20 PM

Every person deals with death differently.I really dont think Reid said “oh well my son died but work is more important”.I believe work is his stress reliever.Death is part of life,and life goes on.Reid is no exception to this rule.Sitting around with family crying,and remembering is good for some people.But is very unhealthy.Even though i believe this happened very quickly(garrett died sunday,buried tuesday)sort of surprised me.No Autopsy?Reid and family i guess didnt want the reason of death to be known?Or Andy already knew what had happened,and in that case why didnt Andy force him into a rehab facility?Thats where the line needed to be drawn.If my kid has a problem i want that problem vacated at any cost.Work or anything else.If Andy chose work over his sons issues,then A.R. needs to check himself.We can all assume what happened to Garrett and blame anyone we want.But again its really none of our BeesWax.Yours or my thoughts and words dont count.In closing,we will all experience death in our days and how we handle it is all up to us.My prayers go out to Andy and his family,R.I.P. Garrett.Go Eagles