Adrian Peterson could return next week, sans knee brace

Adrian Peterson AP

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson told reporters he could practice again as soon as Sunday, but doesn’t want to wear a brace on his surgically repaired knee when he does.

Peterson obviously won’t play in Friday’s exhibition opener against San Francisco, but indicated he shouldn’t be out too much longer.

“We’re going to talk [Wednesday] night a little bit,” Peterson said, via Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com. “I’m looking forward to being out here pretty soon. I’ve been out for like two weeks, so it’s time to get going. I know that they understand that and they’ve been watching and they’ve been getting good feedback, so I’m sure they’re pretty much as excited as I am.”

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said Peterson’s “going to be relentless until we let him back out there,” and maintained that he wanted to see Peterson get some carries in the preseason.

Peterson had surgery to repair his torn ACL and MCL on Dec. 30, but has no plans to wear a protective brace when he does return.

“It’s just uncomfortable,” Peterson said of wearing a brace. “It is what it is. If I get hit in the knee, it’s like I’m back to normal now. I’m just looking at it like that.

“I’m not trying to have that mentally — ‘I’ve got this knee brace on’ so you’re kind of playing timid or you’re kind of thinking a little more. I’m just going all natural like I’ve been.”

The reality is, most braces players wear after such injuries are for psychological stability more than physical, and if Peterson feels strong enough, then it shouldn’t be a problem.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Adrian Peterson could return next week, sans knee brace”
  1. contra74 says: Aug 8, 2012 2:40 PM

Keep the brace on! I had to wear a brace on both my knees while playing college ball and it was a mental assurance that everything was going to be ok. Obviously, everything is not going to be ok if you take a direct shot but having that brace on gave me some peace of mind.

2. bobnelsonjr says: Aug 8, 2012 2:49 PM

I hope he plays in all the preseason games without any knee brace.

3. illadelphiasphinest says: Aug 8, 2012 2:50 PM

We have the technology. We can rebuild him.

4. degraz5 says: Aug 8, 2012 2:52 PM

AP is a beast, so glad he is a vike.

5. lbpackfan says: Aug 8, 2012 3:17 PM

Vikes desperately need AP for their 2012 Season Super Bowl week 1 vs the Jaguars.

6. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Aug 8, 2012 3:38 PM

A lot of envy and jealousy from Packer fans. Enjoy watching the speed and moves of John Kuhn while AD is back to his normal self.

7. schmitty2 says: Aug 8, 2012 3:38 PM

contra74 says:Aug 8, 2012 2:40 PM

Your not AP there Uncle Rico

8. lionsfan415 says: Aug 8, 2012 3:42 PM

go ahead AP play w/o a knee brace, means i can get the steal of the fantasy draft when i take Toby Gerheart

9. cwilliams135 says: Aug 8, 2012 5:14 PM

Comeback player of the year

10. titogetmesometissue says: Aug 8, 2012 5:28 PM

I wish more of the Vikes had the committment and drive like AD and Childs. From what I hear out of Mankanto, it’s more like the “Culture of Not Caring” not the “Culture of Accountability” we were promised. It takes a fire and brimstone speech from Musgrave to get the team fired up? Really? This early in training camp and they’re already complacent? They are fighting for their jobs and to get back to respectability and they need a dressing down from the OC to get fired up? If we get 4 wins it will be a miracle.

11. stellarperformance says: Aug 9, 2012 5:13 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:
    Aug 8, 2012 3:38 PM
    A lot of envy and jealousy from Packer fans.
    ================================

A lot? Not so much really. One player. One.