Arian Foster’s vegan diet not an issue to team nutritionist

Arian Foster AP

Arian Foster might think his new vegan diet isn’t a big deal, but the Texans’ team dietician thinks he could be on a cusp of a new way of eating for NFL players.

By passing on meat and dairy, Foster’s having to adjust, and Roberta Anding, who works with the players on nutrition said he’ll be fine.

“Arian has been one of these guys I call a seeker, looking for optimum nutrition and variety,” Anding told Dale Robertson of the Houston Chronicle. “In my working with him, he has been open to a lot of strategies to get him where he needs to be, not only as a professional football player but, more importantly, as an adult man who has a child and a wife.

“That’s the new NFL player. I don’t think Arian is unique.”

At the moment, he’s the only one going to that length, and Anding said other players present different problems.

She’s trying to work with cornerback Johnathan Joseph, who said “I still haven’t had my first salad,” and keep other players mindful of moderation.

The attention to details is critical during training camp, when players are burning 5,000 calories or more per day. (And the Chronicle story includes a slide show of what that actually looks like.)

“There are guys on this team that, if you crunch the numbers, they would come out [needing] 5,000 calories a day,” Anding said. “But there are guys whose predicted need is 5,000, but I know enough about their diet that their intake needs to be closer to 7,000. What makes a professional athlete unique is the disproportionate amount of muscle mass they have.

“Muscle mass is the metabolic engine. The goal of a good strength and conditioning program is to take that metabolic engine from a Prius to an Escalade.”

And as long as Texans owner Bob McNair’s paying for Escalades, Anding is going to make sure to put premium in the tank.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Arian Foster’s vegan diet not an issue to team nutritionist”
  1. marvsleezy says: Aug 8, 2012 12:19 PM

I thought Tony Gonzales is a vegan?

2. rajbais says: Aug 8, 2012 12:32 PM

I never knew that Michael Phelps could play football.

Could the Ravens sign the Baltimore-area native?

My goodness, we speculated about Usain Bolt.

3. novusanimus says: Aug 8, 2012 12:49 PM

Can a vegan still carry the “pigskin”?

4. usmutts says: Aug 8, 2012 1:39 PM

Can an omnivore be trusted not to eat a pigskin?

5. dalucks says: Aug 8, 2012 1:57 PM

I now know for sure that we are in the slow part of the media coverage in sports when out of shape people keep talking about an athlete’s diet and what the athlete is eating. Being a vegan and vegetarian is to different lifestyles. Maybe if this article went more in depth like providing a vegan daily meal plan then people would stop commenting on this topic. How about explaining the definition of vegan to people so they would not write comment like “can Arian touch a football being a vegan”. There are plenty of fruits and vegetables a person can eat that will give them with enough carbohydrates and proteins for their bodies to function and recovery better than normal. Maybe some of you should read Men’s Health and study your diet more instead of eating another supersize Big Mac combo from McDonalds. Honestly, if you are not paying Arian’s grocery bill then why are you concerned about this topic. As a Texans fan, the right side of the offensive line is more of a story than Arian not having a steak with his potatoes.

6. sudz28 says: Aug 8, 2012 2:09 PM

“The goal of a good strength and conditioning program is to take that metabolic engine from a Prius to an Escalade.””

I don’t get this quote… the goal is take something extremely efficient and convert it into something unwieldy and inefficient?

7. redtodd78 says: Aug 8, 2012 2:48 PM

@marvsleezy, It’s my understanding that Tony Gonzalez eats some chicken and fish. He said he lost too much weight when he went totally vegan.

8. gmenfan1982 says: Aug 8, 2012 9:30 PM

As a fellow vegan I really appreciate some coverage on what nutritionists think of being vegan. Most people continuously ask me how I get my protein and nutrients. They really do think that only meat and cheese provide any nutrition.

9. trevor123698 says: Aug 8, 2012 9:39 PM

I cant wait for this to blow up on him. I hope it costs him a contract