Osweiler doesn’t care about depth chart, for now

Brock Osweiler AP

A year after the quarterback depth chart in Denver became the focal point of much of the preseason discussion, it’s attracting far less attention in 2012.

But with rookie Brock Osweiler installed at No. 3 behind Peyton Manning and Caleb Hanie, it’s at least generating some discussion.

“I think it’s pretty obvious who our starting quarterback is,” Osweiler said, via the Denver Post.  ‘When that’s the situation, I don’t think you can really get caught up too much in, ‘Am I second?  Am I third?  Am I fourth?”

But Osweiler still realizes that, as the regular season approaches, placement on the depth chart will be much more relevant.

“I’m going to come out here every single day and give it my all and try to get better so when September 1 rolls around and we put in place our final depth chart, I’m as high on that depth chart as I need to be and where the football team needs me,” Osweiler said.

Of course, if Osweiler hopes to be the primary backup to Manning, it could make more sense to be No. 3.  After all, last year it was the third man on the list who became the next man up when the time came to apply a large hook to Kyle Orton’s neck beard.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Osweiler doesn’t care about depth chart, for now”
  1. KIR says: Aug 8, 2012 7:49 AM

Hanie might look good in practice and preseason but in a real game when the bullets are flying he’ll find a way to loose. What was he 0-6 on a team (Bears) that was could have slept walked into the playoffs last year?

2. blueintown says: Aug 8, 2012 8:06 AM

He’ll be no. 2. How does Caleb Hanie still have a job? Tim Tebow plays a better QB.

3. sterilizecromartie says: Aug 8, 2012 8:19 AM

I didn’t understand the Osweiler pick in the first place. When you spend that much money on a free agent QB you are making the statement “We want to win NOW”. How does drafting a QB for the future in the 2nd round fit into that goal?

4. Lev says: Aug 8, 2012 8:21 AM

The Broncos have a great project in Brock. Hopefully he learns from Peyton better than Curtis Painter did.

5. 49erstim says: Aug 8, 2012 8:36 AM

If Manning gets hurt late in the year it probably will be Brock that replaces him. Caleb Hanie really isn’t very good.

6. jjackwagon says: Aug 8, 2012 9:19 AM

If Manning gets hurt, the Broncos season is over.

7. meytonpanning says: Aug 8, 2012 12:28 PM

Caleb was a rookie last year. Ryan Clady is an amazing tackle and I really doubt there’s gonna be a lot of sacks for the Broncos no matter who starts.

Especially considering the lack of pass rushers in the AFC West.

8. meytonpanning says: Aug 8, 2012 12:29 PM

Sacks on the Broncos I mean. I think they’ll generate a lot of sacks on opposing QBs

9. blueintown says: Aug 8, 2012 1:39 PM

Caleb was not a rookie last year.

10. fmwarner says: Aug 8, 2012 2:17 PM

Hah, nice picture. I wonder how Osweiler is recovering from Kristen Stewart cheating on him.

11. Ted Skroback says: Aug 8, 2012 2:49 PM

Was I the only person that watched Brock at asu and is surprised he’s playing in the nfl. Damn if god had only made me 6’7 240 with average ability I could have been drafted too!