Tebow burns Jets defense on same play as last year

Jets Camp Football AP

Long before Tim Tebow became a member of the Jets, he beat them on a Thursday night game during the 2011 season.

The final score of that game came on a 20-yard Tebow run that saw him beat a cover zero blitz from the Jets and then break Safety Eric Smith’s tackle on the way into the end zone. The Jets obviously haven’t stopped thinking that call is a good one to employ when trying to stop Tebow because they called it again during one of Tebow’s two snaps with the first offense on Wednesday.

And Tebow beat it again. He used his arm this time and hit wide receiver Patrick Turner for a 60-yard touchdown pass.

“Me and Coach Ryan were laughing about it because it was a Blitz Zero look where, regardless of your protection, they’re bringing one more than you can block,” Tebow said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “Same play they ran vs me when I broke contain when we played them last year. So we were laughing about that.”

Tebow should see plenty of time with Jets offense when they kick off their preseason slate on Friday night against the Bengals. If their defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer’s been paying attention, he probably won’t be seeing any defenses mimicking the Jets’ approach.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Tebow burns Jets defense on same play as last year”
  1. itsacurse says: Aug 8, 2012 1:20 PM

By “several” do you mean “one”? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KR638W3tRc

2. jmikeh73 says: Aug 8, 2012 1:23 PM

apparently, cover-zero is the one defense Tebow can read.

3. dlc618 says: Aug 8, 2012 1:27 PM

Tim will be the starter…Poor Mark. Just heard him on the Rome show. He’s so diluted..so is Rome. Rome believed what he said..it was like listening to Iraq’s spokesman during the Iraq war. Everything is fine..I support Tim and he’s the back up. LOL!!!!!!!!!!
    Dude..you are about to lose your job.

4. kleppnasty says: Aug 8, 2012 1:28 PM

Rex knows more about football than I do, but why would you ever blitz Tebow? Just play contain and zone and make him beat you with his arm. No need to rush him, just make him prove that he can throw into a small window. I assume Cincy will think the same way I will and we’ll see 2 or 3 ints in that preseason game.

5. ridnaway says: Aug 8, 2012 1:43 PM

I think Zimmer would probably like to see that play just to evaluate how his guys react to it. After all this is just the first preseason game and Zimmer will be all about evaluating his younger guys and their ability to play within his defense. He’ll start game planning next week maybe.

6. Josh Alper says: Aug 8, 2012 1:57 PM

You’re right, my mistake. Has been changed to reflect that. Thanks for looking out.

7. fastfreddy22 says: Aug 8, 2012 2:04 PM

Who cares

8. stealthjunk says: Aug 8, 2012 2:11 PM

Practice? We talkin’ ’bout practice?

I can’t believe people are making season predictions based on a play or two out of hundreds in practice. I actually saw a Yahoo! writer proclaim that Manning will suck this year based on the fact that he went three-and-out on the first two drives of the Broncos’ practice scrimmage. Can’t make this stuff up. Let’s just wait for the season to start and go from there.

9. buffedwhiteman says: Aug 8, 2012 2:12 PM

Tim Tebow – “All He Does Is Win”

10. jetstizzi85 says: Aug 8, 2012 2:14 PM

Good to finally read something about Patrick Turner!

11. mike83ri says: Aug 8, 2012 2:32 PM

kleppnasty says:
    Aug 8, 2012 1:28 PM

———————————

By blitzing, that’s exactly what you’re doing. A blitz by definition is taking players out of pass coverage and using them to get the QB contained/sacked or stuff the run. By blitzing, they’re saying “you won’t be able to run, so you better be able to pass against 1 on 1 coverage”.

12. Nevis says: Aug 8, 2012 2:34 PM

Good lord. The season is about to start and you’re posting this trash?

This is First Take pathetic.

13. randomguy9999 says: Aug 8, 2012 2:38 PM

not a good sign for the D….. and the D was the only thing that kept Tebow in the game last year….

all you have to do is have one guy dedicated to Tebow …. get a capable LB who does nothing other than watch Tebow and commit to him when he breaks a run that every time Teebs takes a snap…. and it’s over.

14. jpb12 says: Aug 8, 2012 3:04 PM

So Tim Tebow is faster than Eric Smith. Who you can apparently fool more than once.

15. spankygreen says: Aug 8, 2012 9:28 PM

I’m not going to say I dislike Tebow because personally I don’t know him. After watching him in college and a little taste in the NFL, this kid is a winner regardless of the stage. Bad mechanics, bad throwing motion, I got it, but I’ll bet if Sanchez starts to struggle or the offense gets stagnant, look for Tim Tebow……He’s going to make a believer out of the New York fans and soon coach Ryan…..