49ers have Demarcus Dobbs playing both ways

San Francisco 49ers 2011 Headshots

Two-way players are rare in the NFL these days, but 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh thinks he has a player who can do it in Demarcus Dobbs.

Last year Dobbs made the 49ers as an undrafted free agent and played 12 games as defensive end. This year the 49ers have added tight end to Dobbs’ list of responsibilities, and they’ve actually made tight end his primary position: San Francisco lists Dobbs as a tight end on the roster, and his number has been changed from 96 to 40.

In Friday night’s preseason opener, the 6-foot-3, 285-pound Dobbs played both ways. On defense he played well, pressuring Vikings quarterback Joe Webb into two incompletions, one of which was originally called intentional grounding before the referee changed his mind and picked up the flag. On offense he looked a bit uncomfortable and was critical of his own play at tight end.

It wasn’t all crisp and it didn’t go as well as I planned it to be tonight,” Dobbs said after the game.

Harbaugh has a history of finding multiple roles for talented players: When he was at Stanford he made fullback/linebacker Owen Marecic the only two-way starter in all of major college football. Dobbs isn’t likely to start in San Francisco, but he could get playing time at defensive end, tight end and on special teams, all in one game. For those who pine for the days of Chuck Bednarik, Dobbs is a player worth watching.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
9 Responses to “49ers have Demarcus Dobbs playing both ways”
  1. discosucs2005 says: Aug 11, 2012 3:32 PM

Obviously I’ll be rooting for him because I’m a 49ers fan but in general I love the idea of two way players. I know it will never he as common as it once was but it’s still fun to see every once in awhile. Even though I hate Bill Belichick I love the way he’s been able to use payers on both sides of the ball, whether it’s Moss as a safety or Vrabel as a TE. I hope to see this happen more often, but I’m not holding my breath.

2. thankheavenfornumber14 says: Aug 11, 2012 3:54 PM

Not that there is anything wrong with that

3. norcalmafia says: Aug 11, 2012 4:23 PM

Hell hes a two way player and is better than 90% of the starters on the Seahawks….Niners are. DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

4. mgdsquiggy17 says: Aug 11, 2012 4:47 PM

Really you pick the Seahawks? I’m a 49ers and I think they are very deep and talented but the Hawks have the making of a really nice defense. How about the Rams or Cards? They are a lot less talented IMO. Kind of reminds me how the 49ers defense was built (obviously because they have our old GM there too). Big players who are multi-talented. For the 49ers it just took some time for them to develop and coaches who could actually put those talents to use.

5. stew48 says: Aug 11, 2012 4:54 PM

While not a full time two way player, Doak Walker did both for the Lions.

6. williambrasky says: Aug 11, 2012 5:04 PM

Funny. I thought Vernon Davis was the only 9er to go both ways.

7. hifive123 says: Aug 11, 2012 5:28 PM

It is, after all, San Francisco.

8. sixjak says: Aug 11, 2012 6:40 PM

Ha ha you guys are hilarious. SF = ghey. Hah I get it. Funny, funny stuff. Didn’t see any of that coming and I’m sure the writer didn’t either wink wink. Guess we’re still not quite there yet are we?

Dobbs is a beast though. He was all over the Vikes’ backfield disrupting plays. I also enjoyed 150 rushing yards in the 1st half.

9. thetokyosandblaster says: Aug 11, 2012 7:14 PM

I think we can all agree that the niners are going to finish 2nd or 3rd in their division this year.