Skip to content

Panthers announce extension for RB Jonathan Stewart

Jerry Richardson, Nikki Haley, Jonathan Stewart AP

Before the Panthers could even kick off in their opener, they’ve already won.

The team announced a five-year contract extension for running back Jonathan Stewart, which will carry him through the 2017 season.

“We are thrilled to be able to extend Jonathan for five additional years. He is a perfect fit for our organization,” Panthers General Manager Marty Hurney said in a statement. “He is a playmaker who can make the difference in games and we have seen the impact he and DeAngelo Williams have had on our team.”

Many thought his days were numbered when they signed Williams to an extension last year, and followed up this offseason with fullback Mike Tolbert. But the Panthers have always placed a high value on their running game, as well as keeping their own draft picks.

The fifth-year back is the second-leading rusher in franchise history (behind Williams), and since he joined the team in 2008, the Panthers have rushed for 9,189 yards, most in the league over that span.

UPDATE: 5:23 p.m. ET: Adam Schefter of ESPN tweets that the deal’s worth $36.5 million up to $42.5 million, with $22.5 million guaranteed.  That’s a lot of money for a guy who’s not technically a starter, but it’s worth noting all the guaranteed money in Williams’ deal was in the first two years, which creates questions in 2013.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Panthers announce extension for RB Jonathan Stewart”
  1. hulkhogansays says: Aug 11, 2012 5:30 PM

    Great RB duo. QB could be way better though brother.

  2. cardiaccat says: Aug 11, 2012 5:32 PM

    Wow. Just wow. Kudos to the Cats for making this one happen. That’s going to be a scary backfield for a long time.

  3. coachryanmurray says: Aug 11, 2012 5:33 PM

    Panthers sure do have a lot of money tied up with their running backs…

  4. pilot2011 says: Aug 11, 2012 5:35 PM

    man this news just made my beer taste so much better

    Go Panthers

  5. taurusturner says: Aug 11, 2012 5:41 PM

    So excited about J Stew resigning with us for 5 more years. Panthers have always been loyal to their players. He’s ana upstanding guy. Way to Go. Keep Pounding!

  6. rickastleydancemoves says: Aug 11, 2012 5:44 PM

    Paying 2 runningbacks top tier money has got to be some of stupidest personnel decisions I’ve ever seen. Especially when you didn’t have one of the best running attacks in football last year.

  7. keeppounding says: Aug 11, 2012 5:55 PM

    I was worried we would lose him next year. Great job panthers. Seriously. Keep up the good work.

  8. tombradyallday says: Aug 11, 2012 6:16 PM

    great signing. panthers are slowly but surely creeping up in nfc south, saints better look over there shoulder

  9. sixburghrules says: Aug 11, 2012 6:16 PM

    I wish Mike Wallace would get back to camp so they could “talk” again

  10. stac266 says: Aug 11, 2012 6:16 PM

    Not a Panthers fan but having the backfield locked up with Newton under center should make any Panther fan smile. Great work by the ownership.

  11. sumoson says: Aug 11, 2012 6:16 PM

    If your a Panthers fan and your excited about this you are an idiot .. You have spent over 14 million dollars this year alone for the Running back position .. Lol Go sign benson now too

  12. carolinakidd says: Aug 11, 2012 6:18 PM

    rickastleydancemoves says: Aug 11, 2012 5:44 PM

    Paying 2 runningbacks top tier money has got to be some of stupidest personnel decisions I’ve ever seen. Especially when you didn’t have one of the best running attacks in football last year.

    False. Carolina had the third best rushing offense in the league with 150.5 yards a game average.

  13. berniemadoffsides says: Aug 11, 2012 6:41 PM

    What a poorly run franchise. They have about $100M tied up with 3 different backs… and their QB runs for more TD’s than all of them combined.

  14. realfootballfan says: Aug 11, 2012 6:45 PM

    What questions, Williams won’t be there past the first day of the league year in 2013, if not sooner.

  15. genericcommenter says: Aug 11, 2012 6:46 PM

    Of course, in the NFL, having a guy signed through 2017 is far from a guarantee that he will be around then- or any time after the guaranteed money. Williams could be gone next year- there’s is nothing in these deals that guarantees both guys will be around together past 2012.

  16. captainloaded says: Aug 11, 2012 6:56 PM

    That’s a lot of money for a guy who hasn’t broken the 800 yard mark for the past two seasons.

  17. tdrundmc says: Aug 11, 2012 7:17 PM

    Who is suprised by this? This is the same team that gave Jake Delhomme a big contract after his 5 int playoff game.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!