Rey Maualuga dodges bullet, Travelle Wharton may not have

New York Jets v Cincinnati Bengals Getty Images

The injury news was mixed for the Bengals in the opener, as middle linebacker Rey Maualuga seemed to escape the worst, while the worst is feared for left guard Travelle Wharton.

“I got good news from the trainer,” Maualuga told Geoff Hobson of the Bengals’ official website. “Tomorrow we’ve got off and I could be back Sunday for practice.”

Defensive end Carlos Dunlap wasn’t as forthcoming after spraining his knee, but  Hobson called the news “devastating” for Wharton.

Wharton, who tore his left ACL in 2006 as a member of the Panthers, injured his right knee Friday night.

Hobson wrote that “the fear is he has suffered a season-ending right knee injury.”

That worst-case scenario could send the Bengals looking for some experience on the interior line.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
10 Responses to “Rey Maualuga dodges bullet, Travelle Wharton may not have”
  1. t8ertot says: Aug 11, 2012 9:37 AM

Looks like Dunlap and Rey are going to be fine. Horrible news about Wharton. This is why I hate the pre-season!

2. onereasonableman says: Aug 11, 2012 9:46 AM

Could PFT keep a running list of players who have suffered season ending injuries? Perhaps it’s because I’m now paying attention more to all the teams, but it seems incredible to me how many guys are already out for the year.

I know medical technology was much different years ago and likely guys just continued to play with injuries that now are season ending, but I would be interested on a historical perspective of the rate of season ending injuries each year. Has it gone up over time? Why?

And for all of you wondering, yeah, I’m incredibly bored this morning.

3. vincentbojackson says: Aug 11, 2012 9:53 AM

Couldn’t help but go back to this comment posted by a Cincy fan Thursday night on a story about two Steeler injuries….

cincybrown | Aug 9, 2012, 9:07 PM EDT
    Couldn’t happen to a better bunch of D-Bags!

Karma.

4. jagsfan1 says: Aug 11, 2012 9:54 AM

Please keep Ray Maualaga’s personal life out of this guys – let’s just stick to football.
    Thanks

5. stevincinci says: Aug 11, 2012 10:29 AM

Hey Ravens, can we have Bobbie Williams back?

6. patpatriotagain says: Aug 11, 2012 10:49 AM

more injuries because there is more size (juice) in the nfl. bodies are simply not meant to handle the torque and weight of the average nfl player.

7. samoanjungle says: Aug 11, 2012 10:59 AM

@onereasonableman

The reason is that guys continually are getting bigger & faster.
    It’s pure physics. Increased weight & mass combined with increased momentum so something has to give and it’s usually a structural body part.
    Maybe knee braces should be required like helmets and other protection are.

8. Vegas Guy says: Aug 11, 2012 11:51 AM

Happens every year. Preseason is awesome.. games that don’t matter.. put your best players out there and they get injured… or the other side of the coin.. don’t put your best players out there.. screw the season ticket holders…..

Love preseason.

9. onereasonableman says: Aug 11, 2012 2:15 PM

@samoanjungle

I get what you are saying, but what amazes me is why we don’t see this rate of injury in other sports. I understand that this is a collision sport, but even something like basketball where guys are bigger and faster, it doesn’t seem like the injuries are that common. I would think with the stop/starts in that sport, we’d see more knee injuries.

10. londonbengal says: Aug 11, 2012 4:13 PM

The NFL ‘pre-season’ is a complete fraud for everybody, not least the fans.

Expand the regular season to 18 or 19 games like Rog says, and have more pre-season inter-squad practice scrimmages.