Adrian Peterson close to returning, wants to get hit

Saints Vikings Football AP

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson should be back on the practice field any day now.

Peterson, who suffered a torn ACL on December 24, could be taken off the Physically Unable to Perform list as soon as today, according to ESPN’s Josina Anderson.

Peterson has long insisted that last year’s injury wouldn’t affect him this season, and he says he’s anxious to get back on the field and see how he responds to getting tackled.

“I’m ready to get hit. It might sound strange, but just to get that feel,” Peterson said.

The Vikings have made clear that they’re not going to rush Peterson back into action before he’s ready, but from all indications he has done well in rehab. Not only does Peterson appear set to play in Week One, but he might even get some preseason action. And then he’ll get his wish of getting hit, less than eight months after suffering a devastating knee injury.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Adrian Peterson close to returning, wants to get hit”
  1. berniemadoffsides says: Aug 12, 2012 8:27 AM

Beast.

2. createatopia says: Aug 12, 2012 8:38 AM

I thought that off duty police officer put a good lick on him at the club… Must not’ve been a good enough test!

#beast

3. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 12, 2012 8:41 AM

As hulk would say …..hes ready to run wild on somebody…..brother!!!!!!!

4. snoilog says: Aug 12, 2012 8:42 AM

What is everyone going to say when he gets reinjuried. ACL’s rake time and AP is no exception. All he needs to do is move a cretin way and BAM there it goes, again. But who cares he is just Viqueen anyway

5. unclebigby says: Aug 12, 2012 8:48 AM

I love AD, but man I’m gonna watch with one eye closed every time he touches the ball. I hope he doesn’t hurry all this.

6. ham1 says: Aug 12, 2012 8:48 AM

Pretty sure that request will be fulfilled.

7. ninefingers9 says: Aug 12, 2012 8:55 AM

He also was quoted saying he is faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and is able to leap entire defenses in a single bound!

8. frankgarrett says: Aug 12, 2012 8:56 AM

not a viking fan .. but serious ? why was he playing that game on Dec.24th? and why would he sign with a LOSER .. GO PACK

9. moosev says: Aug 12, 2012 9:01 AM

And back into the first round of the draft AP goes.

10. scottieplongballs says: Aug 12, 2012 9:37 AM

11. zappa69 says: Aug 12, 2012 9:45 AM

@snoilog,
    If your going to criticize and athlete and an organization please turn on your spell check. Saying something stupid and then misspelling multiple words makes you look like an idiot.

12. marko959 says: Aug 12, 2012 10:01 AM

“AP has been gifted w the healing power of Jesus. He will be better than ever. Jared Allen blowing out Arron Rodgers knee, now thats music to my ears.”

So Aaron Rodgers scares you that much that you wish his knee to be blown out. I don’t like the Vikings, but I have never wished injury upon someone on the team. Adrian Peterson is one of the greats, and I’m glad he’ll be back on the field this year.

13. randallflagg52 says: Aug 12, 2012 10:05 AM

Rice and Foster are far better than Peterson, can’t believe this guy is hyped so much…

He is only a two down player and is a non factor in the passing game. Reminds me of Shaun Alexander, a great runner on first and second down but utterly useless on third and long. One of the most overrated players in the game.

14. ttgb2 says: Aug 12, 2012 10:10 AM

If you follow Chris Kluwe on twitter, he’s been on “Operation Adrian Abs” for a while now, and one of his tweets in his quest for a six pack is that he’s been running stairs with AP.

Now if the man is RUNNING UP BLEACHERS– and outracing another human at that, I think it’s safe to say he’s recovered considering it was an injury to his knee, where all that stress is pounding step after step.

Obviously I’m not a Dr. and turning on a dime might be a bit different– but still, the idea of tearing your ACL (my father did that like 6 months ago and is still in a boot) and hauling ass up a flight of stairs over and over again on purpose is damned impressive.

15. lbpackfan says: Aug 12, 2012 10:11 AM

scottieplongballs says:
    Aug 12, 2012 9:37 AM

————————————————

Perhaps focusing on getting to 4 wins this year should be a goal…not blowing out the MVP’s knees.

16. mnmark says: Aug 12, 2012 10:24 AM

Don’t rush it! We want to see a great comeback but only when your completely healed. Goodluck!!!

17. daknight93 says: Aug 12, 2012 10:42 AM

He’s gonna reinjure himself by coming back too early on a blown ACL…he should sit out year to completely heal..Vikings are dumb if they activate him

18. scottieplongballs says: Aug 12, 2012 11:24 AM

Muhahahaha. If your concerned about AP’s knees right him a love letter. A packers injury or failure is equal to a Vikings victory for me. And 959=weak

19. lbpackfan says: Aug 12, 2012 11:49 AM

scottieplongballs says:
    Aug 12, 2012 11:24 AM

————————————————–

So, all those Packer injuries in 2010 were a victory for you…even though they ended up winning the Super Bowl?

You just embarrassed a lot of Viking fans with this post. You, sir, are weak.

20. scottieplongballs says: Aug 12, 2012 12:09 PM

Oh ib pack fan you hurting me and other vikings fans so deep. I like how you packers fans already had last years ring on your finger before the playoffs even started. Lol. Ooops. And i always see packers fans on Vikings posts stirring the pot. Nothing better to do? I enjoy a simpleton trying to seem smart. Just like every Packer fan in the country. #ugotnothin

21. marko959 says: Aug 12, 2012 12:16 PM

“right him a love letter”

Spell much? Obviously a third grader who has hijacked his father’s computer.

And I agree with Ibpackfan: you’re weak. Time to get things in perspective. This is a GAME. A Packers injury or fail is equal to a Vikings victory? You want them to fail, that’s fine with me. You want a Packer injured=sociopath.

22. lbpackfan says: Aug 12, 2012 12:37 PM

scottieplongballs says:
    Aug 12, 2012 12:09 PM

————————————————-

Packers-Vikings are rivals…we’re suppose to take jabs at each other…it’s all part of the fun.

But saying that a player injury is equal or better than a win for your team is pretty pathetic. I cant imagine an AP or Jared Allen injury being better than a Packer win. Just my opinion. I never want to see guys get hurt.

As far as last year, I never had Packers wining it all even before the playoffs started…the defense was horrible and continued that throughout the playoffs. Bummer. I can still celebrate and enjoy 2010 season and Super Bowl win though…unlike Vikings and their fans. #ugotnochampionships

23. crnvic847 says: Aug 12, 2012 1:00 PM

@zappa69

And your grammatical mistakes make you look like an idiot. “if you want to criticize and athlete.” And using “then” instead of “than” is incorrect as well. Don’t criticize someone for spelling if you can’t use proper grammar.

24. ejmat2 says: Aug 12, 2012 1:02 PM

Viking fan here. Perosnally I think they are rushing the guy back too quickly. Just my two cents. Hope I’m wrong.

Now for those Viking fans wishing injury on other players, just stop. You make the rest of us look bad. No injury is a good injury.

I don’t mind taking jabs at each other. That’s all in good fun. But to wish injury on others is not. I don’t care what team you like or hate.

25. bzeller says: Aug 12, 2012 1:03 PM

AP is an incredible athlete……of course he wants to come back to prove himself……do you really think the doctors would let him return if he was not ready ? Cmon Packer fans , worry about your own team….stop looking for any post that has to do with the Vikings to make some stupid comment. You all must be worried about something…..like the Vikings beating you this year ! Now that would make this rebuilding season a success !!!!

26. apallday2842 says: Aug 12, 2012 1:05 PM

1500 yards a year and only a 2 down back is prettty damn good to me, oh and while hes doing all of this there are 8 or 9 guys loading the box on him to.. yea seems to be over rated to me to

27. apallday2842 says: Aug 12, 2012 1:06 PM

—————————————————–

28. lnfinite says: Aug 12, 2012 1:30 PM

Seriously, tease us all you like about our team not winning a super bowl but wishing a player to be crippled crosses the line. I do not wish that on ANY player on ANY team (including the packers).

No wonder packer fans are the most ridiculed fanbase of pro sports with comments like theirs above.

29. wludford says: Aug 12, 2012 1:34 PM

If the doctors think AP is ready to play, which seems to be the case, its better to have him play in pre-season first, and test the knee there, rather than in a regular season game. I expect he will come off the PUP and take some reps in the last 2 pre-season games if he is to play week 1.

30. lbpackfan says: Aug 12, 2012 1:47 PM

Infinite -

You might want to go back through the comments…I don’t see any Packer fans posting about wishing injuries on Viking/other players. I DO see a Viking fan wishing injury on Rodgers and Packers players…

31. scottieplongballs says: Aug 12, 2012 2:04 PM

Muhahahahaha. Crippling injuries to all Packers and horrible spelling for the World!!! Muhahaha