Cowboys scrambling for center help, will work out Jamaal Jackson

Philadelphia Eagles 2011 Headshots Getty Images

In their continuing problems keeping healthy interior linemen on the field, the Cowboys are bringing in veteran center Jamaal Jackson for a workout, according to Todd Archer of ESPNDallas.com

Jackson started 72 games for the Eagles, but hasn’t played on a regular basis since 2009.

The Cowboys’ starting center, Phil Costa, could miss Monday’s preseason game because of a lower back strain. That one isn’t believed to be serious.

Backup Bill Nagy is going to see a foot specialist this week for a high ankle sprain, and Kevin Kowalski is in a cast because of tendinitis that will keep him out the entire preseason.

The Cowboys signed former Panthers backup Mackenzy Bernadeau this offseason, and he could play there in a pinch, but he’s more of a guard.

And even if Jackson is worth signing, he wouldn’t be able to play Monday or practice until mid-week because of the league’s new three-day acclimation period.

Permalink 14 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
14 Responses to “Cowboys scrambling for center help, will work out Jamaal Jackson”
  1. marylandcowboy says: Aug 12, 2012 9:07 AM

I hope Jamaal arrives in football shape. I would like to see a vetern safety come in and succeed. I got so tired last year of seeing all those balls hiked over Romos head.

2. ezg1 says: Aug 12, 2012 9:15 AM

As the window continues to close Jerruh manages, once again, to silence his critics with bold and unprecedented personnel adjustment!
    Shear Genius!

3. marylandcowboy says: Aug 12, 2012 9:29 AM

Sorry to have misspoke before. I should have said a vetern center not safety. UGH its just too early on a Sunday morning.

4. ripster65 says: Aug 12, 2012 9:46 AM

I said it in a previous post…but I love seeing the cowboys scrambling this early in August….

5. hedleykow says: Aug 12, 2012 9:47 AM

===================================
    marylandcowboy says:
    Aug 12, 2012 9:29 AM
    ===================================

I figured you must know a lot more about this stuff than me, so I just chalked it up to “I’m so confused” and moved along. The funny part is that you got all thumbs up for a comment that made no sense. LOL.

6. cleverbob says: Aug 12, 2012 9:49 AM

Don’t do it Jamaal! Enjoy retirement, and don’t sully your fine career by putting on that star…

7. andyreidsbossoms says: Aug 12, 2012 10:07 AM

Don’t do it Jamaal, your better than that.

8. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 12, 2012 10:20 AM

I’ver heard Gurode’s name mentioned as well. The center position has been a hot mess and should have been addressed sooner through the draft and free agency.

9. dccowboy says: Aug 12, 2012 11:04 AM

Unless you’re the Seahawks, in which case you get to ignore league rules.

10. phillyphever says: Aug 12, 2012 11:56 AM

I’m really starting to hate these rules. Really NFL, injuries are gonna happen no matter what. Stop trying to prevent them, because it isn’t working.

As for Jamaal: please don’t do it.

11. minkheel says: Aug 12, 2012 12:05 PM

What about Jason Brown – dude was a pro bowl center and started last year at center and guard for the Rams.

12. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Aug 12, 2012 6:29 PM

Just read that after a poor workout, Jackson will not be signed. The Cowboys back to the drawing board.

13. fmwarner says: Aug 12, 2012 8:45 PM

Ah, don’t begrudge Jamaal the chance to make some more bucks before retirement. It killed me to see Randall Cunningham wearing the star, but who the hell am I? It’s none of my business.

14. jcg23 says: Aug 13, 2012 2:31 AM

Fatty couldn’t even tie his damn shoes. Cowboys are looking at having a public try out at this point.