Eagles regard LaMonte’s words as Reid’s words

Andy Reid AP

Even though Eagles coach Andy Reid has publicly distanced himself from (and reportedly isn’t happy with) Saturday’s politicking by agent Bob LaMonte, a source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that, within the organization, LaMonte’s comments are regarded as Reid’s comments.

It’s believed that LaMonte’s claim of a verbal commitment by Lurie to keep Reid as coach for as long as Lurie is the owner were aimed at pressuring Lurie into extending Reid’s contract, which currently is due to expire after the 2013 season.

“Listen, we’re here to play, that’s what we’re here to do,” Reid said.  “And I’m here to coach, that’s my job, and I understand the demands of the National Football League.  I got it.  I know the picture.  So I’m not worried about all that.”

But by using terms like “any of that” and “all that,” Reid necessarily is acknowledging the existence of “that”; namely, a business side of the pro football industry that Reid specifically has hired LaMonte to handle.

So what else is Reid going to say?  “Yeah, I believe I have a contract for life?”  Reid has taken the savvy path, even though it’s not the first time LaMonte has tried to pressure the Eagles with no specific consequence from the man for whom LaMonte works.

Indeed, if Reid were going to completely disavow LaMonte’s words, Reid would have been more direct.  Or Reid would have ordered LaMonte to retract his comments.  Or Reid would have fired LaMonte.

All things considered, it should be regarded as shocking that LaMonte backed Lurie so far into a corner that Lurie had to issue a statement refuting LaMonte’s contention.  And it’s expected that Reid will do nothing to LaMonte.  It’s also expected that Reid will continue to recruit clients for LaMonte, who represents former Eagles assistant coaches like Steve Spagnuolo, Brad Childress, and Pat Shurmur, most current Eagles assistant coaches, and even G.M. Howie Roseman.

As a result, the Eagles will continue to believe that, when it comes to “any of that” and/or “all that,” Reid believes what LaMonte said about every last bit of that.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Eagles regard LaMonte’s words as Reid’s words”
  1. unclebigby says: Aug 12, 2012 12:35 PM

2. upperdecker19 says: Aug 12, 2012 12:36 PM

LaMonte, when reached for comment, said……”I gotta to a better job in that situation. Time’s yours.”

3. pflynn20 says: Aug 12, 2012 12:37 PM

Making a mountain out of a mole hill here…

4. burgundyandgold says: Aug 12, 2012 12:48 PM

As a Redskins (who lives in Philly) fan I sincerely hope that Andy Reid will remain the head coach of the Eagles for life. Local Eagle fans will know why I feel that way.

5. somekat says: Aug 12, 2012 1:00 PM

If he doesn’t fire his agent, those ARE his words. You don’t pay someone to represent you, have them say something that ridiculous, and give them no consequences. Unless of course they have your consent

6. dannythebisforbeast says: Aug 12, 2012 1:04 PM

And we hope Dan Snyder never sells the dead skins

7. birdsfan4ever says: Aug 12, 2012 1:08 PM

burgundyandgold says:
    Aug 12, 2012 12:48 PM

…..

As an Eagles fan living in Philly, Reid has given the Eagles the chance to compete for a playoff spot/super bowl every year for the last 12 years excluding a few seasons. Way more then your Skins can say. I bet whenever Reid is fired, he has a job a day or two following.

8. birdsfan4ever says: Aug 12, 2012 1:09 PM

Fired or his contract expires**

9. giantssb42champs says: Aug 12, 2012 1:19 PM

Dream team.

10. eagles83 says: Aug 12, 2012 1:38 PM

He couldn’t possibly be talking about the situation itself could he? No, no. There’s got to be something deeper…Personally, I take his comments to mean that he’s trying to push Lurie out so he can become the first HC/ Owner. It’s very telling, you don’t use words like that unless you’ve got an agenda. A very dark, seedy agenda.

11. geniusfan says: Aug 12, 2012 1:57 PM

You don’t say. There’s a business side to pro football I never knew that!

Maybe the agent was just doing his job and Lurie was also doing his. It doesn’t have to be a controversy but the media needs news at slow times of the NFL season I suppose.

12. steelersforlife says: Aug 12, 2012 2:02 PM

“I don’t get into any of that,” Reid said Sunday regarding the Saturday back-and-forth between LaMonte and owner Jeffrey Lurie, via Reuben Frank of CSNPhilly.com.  “I’m a one-day-at-a-time kind of guy, one year, one play, the whole deal.  So that’s not how I operate.  I don’t worry about all that.”

As a Steelers fan, I do have to admit this…. I respect Andy Reid as a husband, father and head coach. The man has class and he knows that if he doesn’t perform, he doesn’t deserve the job. Good luck Andy and hopefully we could have a Pennsylvania Superbowl this year.

PS, God bless you and your family on the loss of your son!!!

13. andyreidsbossoms says: Aug 12, 2012 2:05 PM

I would take Reid over shanahan any day

14. gammynomnom says: Aug 12, 2012 2:31 PM

” I don’t get into any of that”

Andy Reid’s guide to good parenting.

15. fdugrad says: Aug 12, 2012 2:49 PM

DUMP that agent Andy. You do not need this, especially at this time.

16. tonithgren says: Aug 12, 2012 2:51 PM

It is possible that Reid’s agent is trying to get Andy a new contract because that’s when, you know, he gets paid.

17. youcantmakemepickausername says: Aug 12, 2012 2:58 PM

Either last year or the year before, a college preseason mag did a story highlighting how every coach that won a national title from 2000 on, with the exception of Mack Brown, did it within five years of being hired. Granted that’s selective data, since in the 90′s guys like Osborne and Bowden won multiple titles way beyond their fifth year.

Regardless, using the same timeframe, other than Cowher and definately Coughlin this year (not sure what year he was when they won in ’07), it seems like the same applies to NFL coaches. Or if not five years, definately six or seven.

Bringing it back to Andy, 1999-2004 saw seven playoff wins. since then he has three, and two of them came after a season (2008) where the only made the playoffs because Tampa had a total collapse.

I’m sure he still just as focused and just as committed, but the results just aren’t there like they were.

18. 2ndaryinsanity says: Aug 12, 2012 3:04 PM

Why in the ____ would Reid’s agent make these inflamatory comments so soon after Andy lost his son??? It makes no sense. If his agent spouted off without Reid’s blessing, and if Reid doesn’t believe that statement…Andy should fire the agent.

19. huskersrock1 says: Aug 12, 2012 3:14 PM

“This team is unmatched in its ability to create internal turmoil during preseason. Unbelievable.”

I disagree with you sir, the Jets are the masters, the eagles are still just students.

20. briang123 says: Aug 12, 2012 3:46 PM

Lurie has to know this as well as any Eagles fan. The last thing the team needs is a comfortable Andy Reid.

21. fmwarner says: Aug 12, 2012 8:41 PM

burgundyandgold says: Aug 12, 2012 12:48 PM

================================

Yeah. Because whenever you have a chance to keep a guy in your division whose team is better than yours every single year, you gotta do it.