Pat Shurmur isn’t a fan of Twitter

Cleveland Browns v Pittsburgh Steelers Getty Images

There’s something about NFL coaches who work in Ohio and Twitter.

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis has banned his players from the social-media powerhouse after rookie cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick used the 140-character platform to blab about a knee injury.  Now, Browns coach Pat Shurmur has expressed concerns about his players’ use of the technology.

As explained by Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, and as supplemented by the full transcript of a Sunday press conference distributed by the team, Shurmur doesn’t like the fact that receiver Mohamed Massaquoi took to Twitter to contradict Shurmur’s claim that Massaquoui suffered a concussion on Friday night against the Lions.

Basically, Shurmur has politely invited Twitter to get off his lawn.

“You know how I feel about tweets and twitters number one,” Shurmur said.  “I told you what happened [to Massaquoi] and that’s what happened so I don’t know.  I only hear what gets tweeted, but he had a concussion and we’re treating it as so.”

Shurmur has a simple policy on tweets.  “I don’t like them, that’s my policy,” Shurmur said.  “I encourage them not to and I think it’s important that they don’t.  I don’t think you can totally harness social media.  I’ve come to that realization, but what I can do is encourage and inspire them to be very professional and not talk about Browns business.  That’s just my feeling on it.  That’s a big thing to harness, social media.”

Still, Shurmur won’t be copying the Cincinnati ban on Twitter.  “No, I’m not going to sit here and pick a fight with Twitter,” Shurmur said.  “I don’t want to do that because I want to deal with our guys as professionals.  I want to deal with them as men and that’s part of society at this point, social media.  I think it’s important that I encourage them and inspire them not to do it and if you ask me a question about what happened in the game and I tell you the process then that’s how it happened.”

That’s fine, but let’s not lose sight of what Twitter ultimately is.  It’s a vehicle for people to say things.  When Shurmur said that Massaquoi has a concussion and Massaquoi said that he doesn’t, it doesn’t matter whether Massaqoui said it on Twitter or Facebook or Instagram or at a press conference or while verbalizing his complaints outside the Factory of Sadness.  The player contradicted the coach; Twitter was merely the vehicle for the contradiction.

Permalink 6 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
6 Responses to “Pat Shurmur isn’t a fan of Twitter”
  1. icdogg says: Aug 12, 2012 10:43 PM

Joe Banner can’t get there fast enough.

2. realnflmaster says: Aug 12, 2012 11:00 PM

How does this guy even have a job? And Dick Jauron too. What a joke. Clean house.

3. gaykegayden says: Aug 12, 2012 11:44 PM

Gayke Gayden sez:

Holmgren’s cronies are a joke. Mangini would have had them closer.

4. imthedudedude says: Aug 12, 2012 11:54 PM

I wish my team would outlaw twitter. It’s stupid. It does no good for anyone. God I wish I was born in 1950..

5. klumpofbrownsadness says: Aug 13, 2012 10:40 PM

This is just another forum for folks to stick foot into mouth. Concussion or not, you just don’t take the “family businesss” out in public. Maybe coach said concussion even if it was iffy to attone for the fiasco with McCoy last year, maybe MoMass had his brain scrambled enough that he can’t tell, but IT DOESN’T MATTER. As a player you don’t say a word about injuries, period – that is the job of the coach, GM, or the designated mouthpiece of the team. Bottom line is that the players should be professionals, and mature enough to know better than to say anything, and Shumer should have simply ignored the issue (at least in the press) and dealt with it “inside the building”.

Now that the rant is over, I hope Mo is right that he’s not concussed, and the Shumer has some reason for saying that it was (I don’t care what reason, good or bad).

And if this is the only thing to stir up fan spouting, we all need to get lives.

6. mrfrostyj says: Aug 15, 2012 2:33 AM

If there is anything the NFL learned about Pat Schurmur its that he wouldn’t know what a concussion was if he saw one so I agree with Massaquoi in this situation. Stop telling my family I have a severe brain injury if I don’t have one. (if my brain got rubbed against my skull the capability of texting a tweet coherently is not there). These guys do have families that might freak out when you tell them news like that. So he needed to set it straight.