Plax to work out for Patriots

New York Jets v Miami Dolphins Getty Images

The man who caught the touchdown pass that beat the Patriots in Super Bowl XLII is trying to earn a job with the team.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Plaxico Burress is flying to New England on Sunday to work out for the Patriots. The Patriots are scheduled for a late afternoon practice with Bill Belichick addressing the media when the session is complete, so we could get some idea about his future with the team before the day is out.

Burress has been in the news a lot this week as his name came up in connection to the Steelers, which was followed by a report that he’s willing to play for the veteran minimum this season and Burress’ own proclamation that he’s ready to be a dominant receiver again while rumored interest from the Cowboys also surfaced. With Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Lloyd and Wes Welker already in the fold, that opportunity to dominate might not present itself in New England this year, but that doesn’t mean there’s not a use for Burress.

He could be a useful red zone option in the Patriots offense, though. It was the one thing he did well with the Jets last season and he’d likely see a lot of one-on-one coverage near the end zone with all of the other options available to Tom Brady.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Plax to work out for Patriots”
  1. possessedblog says: Aug 12, 2012 11:26 AM

First!

2. billinva says: Aug 12, 2012 11:32 AM

Say what now?

3. mccourty1sland says: Aug 12, 2012 11:32 AM

Doesn’t seem neccesary at all but don’t think it would hurt. I am suspicious that this may be a classic belichick move of signing a proven veteran and then cutting him as an example that no one is safe.

4. bluefan204 says: Aug 12, 2012 11:33 AM

And the pattern of grabbing up former Giants, hounding them for inside information, and cutting them loose a few weeks later, looks to be continuing.

How pathetic LOL

On a serious note, I hope Plax gets one more shot to stick with a team. Its up to him to prove himself worthy of a new deal

5. hulkhogansays says: Aug 12, 2012 11:33 AM

LOL.

6. odecut says: Aug 12, 2012 11:33 AM

He was a good blocker last season with the jets. Pats will need that with offensive line in question.

7. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 12, 2012 11:38 AM

Camp body….

8. kingpel says: Aug 12, 2012 11:38 AM

He is a nice complement to what they already have. Even though he isnt the Plax of old, he can still be a valuable asset.

9. nashwaakkidd says: Aug 12, 2012 11:38 AM

one trick pony plus he’s a headcase. not worth the hassle

10. jwayne111 says: Aug 12, 2012 11:39 AM

the school of Bellicheck….Plax will Fail
    Lets see, there was a veteran who recently quit before getting started.

11. CKL says: Aug 12, 2012 11:41 AM

bluefan204 says:
    Aug 12, 2012 11:33 AM

How pathetic LOL
    ___________________________________
    ???????? What are you rambling about? NYG and Pats play only 1ce every 4 years anyway. What good would “inside info” do now? On top of it I am sure BB knows more about TC from coaching with him than anything else.
    Silliness.

12. istateyourname says: Aug 12, 2012 11:48 AM

If Plaxico is the best available WR, this keeps Miami from getting him to replace OchoRubber headbanger dude…

13. bigjimatch says: Aug 12, 2012 11:50 AM

Let me guess: Pats will sign him, everyone will say what genius move it was, he will sit on the bench for a year trying to “learn the playbook,” and each week we will hear how BB has been “saving” him in order to “suprise” whatever opponent they they have coming up, and he will finish the season as a 19 catch, 250 yard non-factor.

14. kilo0986 says: Aug 12, 2012 11:50 AM

That redzone offense would be crazy. Hernandez Grok and Plax…

15. geniusfan says: Aug 12, 2012 11:54 AM

bluefan204 says:
    Aug 12, 2012 11:33 AM

How pathetic LOL
    _______________

I understand you Giants fans are still upset about losing Jake Ballard but don’t blame the Patriots blame your coach and front office they tried to sneak him through waivers they gambled and lost.

16. pftcensorssuck says: Aug 12, 2012 11:58 AM

Could the Patriots become the first team to need two quarterbacks throwing two balls, to utilize all the receivers they’ve got on this roster?

Bellichick, the Innovator!

17. kwichita2 says: Aug 12, 2012 12:05 PM

I like those chances!

18. jrfrom508 says: Aug 12, 2012 12:07 PM

Hahahahaha. I could be SO down with this. Don’t really care what WR would get cut either. # real talk.
    Let’s play a game called patriots red zone offense…. Who’s open this time Gronk or Plax? HA

19. torothebronxbull says: Aug 12, 2012 12:07 PM

Plax or no Plax, you still won’t be able to beat Big Blue!

20. Corey Jeppesen says: Aug 12, 2012 12:09 PM

RIP Plaxico’s Career.

21. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 12, 2012 12:11 PM

Patriots=desperate!!!

22. bluefan204 says: Aug 12, 2012 12:14 PM

geniusfan says: Aug 12, 2012 11:54 AM

I understand you Giants fans are still upset about losing Jake Ballard

Not in the slightest. Since the Pats appear to be incapable of beating the Giants, I find it laughable how they have to resort to such things, especially when they are loaded at the TE position.

23. 1historian says: Aug 12, 2012 12:19 PM

Open letter to all you Pats haters out there;

When I find myself in times of trouble;

I just come here to NBC Sports and sooner or later you fine folks show up with stuff that is goofy enough to cheer me up – you’ve NEVER let me down, and I just want you to know how much I (and, I suspect my fellow Pats fans) appreciate all your efforts

Keep up the good work

24. theawesomersfranchise says: Aug 12, 2012 12:25 PM

Pats have jumped the shark and are now bringing in garbage like Plax?
    How desperate

25. njsteelersfan says: Aug 12, 2012 12:31 PM

Lets see if they sign him and all the Pats fan that was talking BS on him when he was a Jet will be saying how great he is

26. Patskrieg dot com says: Aug 12, 2012 12:31 PM

DO NOT WANT. I wouldn’t let this guy unclog Kyle Love’s toilet after a Taco Bell run. Absolutely positively no.

27. njsteelersfan says: Aug 12, 2012 12:34 PM

geniusfan says:Aug 12, 2012 11:54 AM

I understand you Giants fans are still upset about losing Jake Ballard
    _______________________________
    I don’t think they are since the Pats are kissing the Giants ring so why would they be upset its more like the Pats are DON”T YA THINK

28. rexachss says: Aug 12, 2012 12:38 PM

Good for Burress…he can still play and had a decent 2011 season…but doesn’t it seem like the Patriots since 2003 just continue to throw money around?

29. vincentbojackson says: Aug 12, 2012 12:49 PM

Plaxico may want to reassess his worth. He’s gaining leverage by the day. Both starters in Dallas are out of action with hamstring issues, the Browns are down to one healthy veteran WR and Chad Johnson seems to have worn out the Dolphins already.

30. marima07 says: Aug 12, 2012 12:58 PM

A case of due diligence – on the part of the Patriots and Plax’s agent in getting his client a workout.

Maybe a bit of an overreaction to those who have him wooed, signed, cut and and sacrificed in the name of discipline before his plane even lands at Logan.

31. vincentbojackson says: Aug 12, 2012 1:02 PM

Belichick is going to really be disappointed when he learns that Plaxico is not a tight end.

32. ishudbgm says: Aug 12, 2012 1:02 PM

There is an island located South of NewEngland known as Revis island. Plax might be the only wr that has no problem visiting there twice a year in the red-zone. Tight ends are typically the linebackers responsibility and the wideouts they have now are good but aren’t a serious cause for concern in the red-zone . With Plax as a red-zone target it would literally be childs play for Brady not to mention he would be there only receiver over 6 feet tall. BB would be stupid going into the season thinking Gronk will put up the same numbers as last year, you have add another red-zone threat.

33. descendency says: Aug 12, 2012 1:03 PM

A lot of times players will ask a team for a workout just to generate interest in them again.

If his agent is on good terms with the Patriots, maybe Belichick is doing him a favor.

Not really sure what adding a goal line WR who doesn’t play special teams to an already jam packed WR competition really does for NE.

34. vcupats says: Aug 12, 2012 1:06 PM

Spare me. NE has never proven the FA approach to WRs will win in the end. Their last 2 championships were on draftees Branch & Givens. Moss? Welker? Stallworth? No rings.

35. bluefan204 says: Aug 12, 2012 1:15 PM

1historian says: Aug 12, 2012 12:19 PM

Open letter to all you Pats haters out there;

When I find myself in times of trouble;

Keep up the good work

Glad to be of service. We’re happy that you and your fellow Pats fans have somewhere to go that won’t cause you any disappointment. Lord knows that the Pats have that part well taken care of already. Keep your chin up, little Buckaroo!

36. redrew says: Aug 12, 2012 1:31 PM

Boston Mayor Mumbles Menino was quoted, “I think Flax Seed Oil Buttress would be a fine addition to the New England Red Sox

37. theboysofdallas says: Aug 12, 2012 1:34 PM

The giants are the luckiest team ever, plain and simple

38. bingobrown12 says: Aug 12, 2012 1:37 PM

Some Giant fans=insecure whiny tools

39. deathonwings410 says: Aug 12, 2012 1:40 PM

This will be another FA bust for the Pats.

40. nickhead12 says: Aug 12, 2012 1:52 PM

redrew says

I am a fan of all New England sports teams. However, that made me lol

41. cardiffgiant11 says: Aug 12, 2012 1:52 PM

Worth taking a look at him since he could come in handy and he’s willing to work for little money. Low Risk possible big reward type of player.

42. mcaismyfavoritebeastie says: Aug 12, 2012 2:04 PM

Pats fans are just fine with our titles and our team playing in big games year after year. Enjoying the hell out of not wondering if we should fire our coach every year, not worrying if we’ll make the playoffs or not.

typical NYG fans. No loyalty, only to the winners. Otherwise, just bury your team. I just have to ask a question about the NYG and I feel better as soon as you open your mouths.

Thanks NYG fans!

43. oraclepz1 says: Aug 12, 2012 2:06 PM

Istateyourname got it right .. They’re trying to scare Miami into signing this bum

44. sod61 says: Aug 12, 2012 2:07 PM

Music to Belicheap’s ears when Plax said he would play for minimum. He also signed derek dennis who the dolphins cut before camp started, i am sure to glean any info on new dolphins o and d. I would not be surprised if some of the hbo employees shooting “hard knocks” aren’t moonlighting as patriot employees

45. thekid52 says: Aug 12, 2012 2:12 PM

You’re right! Signing WR’s has been an absolute failure for the Pats and for that case any other team that hasn’t won a superbowl with their free agent pickups over the past 10 years. Although Randy Moss (with the best statistical season by a WR ever), Welker, and even Stallworth were key componets to the best offense EVER, they are proof that the pats should stay away from acquiring WR’s through free agency. I mean look at teams like the eagles circa ’03 that signed Terrell Owens and catapaulted that team to an NFC championship before falling short to the Patriots; WHAT MORONS! Why even try?

That aside I don’t see the Pats signing Plax. Holding workouts like these that amount to nothing are routine.

46. surfinbird1 says: Aug 12, 2012 2:15 PM

Not a real shocker. Bill B. showed interest in the past when plexiglass was available. Hey for vet. minimum at least look at him.

47. muir6 says: Aug 12, 2012 3:18 PM

He was too lazy for steelers had 3 good months for giants and dogged it for jets, this will end ugly

48. giselleisasucubus says: Aug 12, 2012 3:20 PM

Bluefan, you are a complete moron. You really think the Pats are “bringing guys info to get Giants info”? You might be the stupidest person on the planet.

49. harry1941 says: Aug 12, 2012 3:36 PM

Plaxico Burress wants to be the offensive coordinator on every team he plays for. He’s leaving the Jets because things don’t go his way.If he is not happy with the Jets., want makes him think he’ll be happy with the Patriots? No team wants him because he gave up on the Jets.

50. j0esixpack says: Aug 12, 2012 6:45 PM

The Pats are desperate. Only 5 Super Bowl appearances in 10 years and 3 Lombardi Trophies

Oh oh I envy the Jets.

At least they don’t tease their fans with hopes of winning the Super Bowl. They’ve even yet to surpass the Houston Oilers in AFC East Championships.

Lucky ducks.

51. bluefan204 says: Aug 12, 2012 6:47 PM

How humiliated you’re gonna feel when I let you in on the joke: I wasn’t being serious. You melted down for nothing, much like the Pats did in their last 2 SB appearances.

Coincidence?

52. kingcarlbanks says: Aug 12, 2012 7:11 PM

I dont see the connect between the Pats signing Plaxico and my Giants. Fact is Cheddar hasnt been a Giant for over 3 years so I doubt he has any inside info. On top of the fact Pats and Giants dont play each other regularly. Some Giants fans say dumb stuff. And some Pat fans run with it….