Whisenhunt says Cards will play until they get it right

Ken Whisenhunt AP

Cardinals coach Ken Whisenhunt is tired from a week on the road, and he’s tired of talking about snap counts.

Whisenhunt was asked how long starters would play in their third preseason game against Oakland Friday, and he made it clear his expectations have changed.

“As mad as I was last night I told them we’re going to play until we get it right. They could play the whole game,” Whisenhunt said, via Scott Bordow of the Arizona Republic. “I think the theme this week is we’re not going to talk about a play count. We’re going to play. Once we feel our guys are making progress, then they’ll come out.”

The Cards looked gassed in their loss to the Chiefs, after staying in Missouri following their Hall of Fame Game appearance in Canton the weekend before. The Chiefs gashed the starting defense for a pair of touchdowns, and the first offense only crossed midfield once.

“I’m not going to allow our guys to use that as an excuse,” he said. “We have to be a better team than we showed [Friday] night, . . . I think it’s time for our players to understand the sense of urgency with preseason.

“It’s not panic. We’ve got three preseason games left. We’ve got practice time left. But we’ve got to prove to a lot of people that we can be a good football team. There’s a lot of questions about that.”

And they’re going to continue, until the Cardinals look competent enough to get off the field. That hasn’t happened yet.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Whisenhunt says Cards will play until they get it right”
  1. hulkhogansays says: Aug 12, 2012 9:19 AM

This franchise is wasting Larry Fitzgerald’s awesome talent. It’s just painful to see such ineptitude from that coaching staff and QBs brother.

2. stairwayto7 says: Aug 12, 2012 9:30 AM

Cards 45 Raiders 3

3. nickhead12 says: Aug 12, 2012 10:04 AM

Cards need Brett Favre

4. clu1perceiver says: Aug 12, 2012 11:14 AM

The Cards are just another victim of the new CBA’s restrictive practice rules. To get into football shape you’ve got to play football. Until the smarter teams figure out how to generate virtual reps., conditioning will suffer and injuries will continue to escalate.

5. riverace19 says: Aug 12, 2012 12:01 PM

Yes Ken,
    I believe the Cardinals are going to play 16 games whether they get it right or not. The Kolb deal will haunt them for years.

6. bjcorradoua says: Aug 12, 2012 12:22 PM

With Hulk Hogan as your user name I would expect a stupid comment…it has nothing to do with the coaching staff, the players are just playing horribly right now. Last time I checked they were in the Super Bowl 3 years ago so I wouldn’t call that wasting Fitz’s talent.

7. ncarolinarn7 says: Aug 12, 2012 12:44 PM

Make fun of Brett but he could still play. Yeah yeah interceptions. Most Hall of Fame HR hitters also struck out a lot. Look at Brett’s lifetime winning % and the laugh.

8. sixjak says: Aug 12, 2012 1:09 PM

I remember all of the goofy SF fans lamenting that SF didn’t go after Kolb. Lol. And yeah, the players want to wussify their football rehearsal schedule and make training camp easier and I guess they’re paying for it on the backend.

9. warrenpeacephotography says: Aug 12, 2012 9:41 PM

Hulk–I agree they are wasting Fitz’s talent, but the coaching staff aren’t to blame (unless it was Weisenhut’s call to bring in Kolb and not any more QB talent). I was strongly rooting for the Cards to beat the Steelers in the super bowl, and it’s sad to see how far they’ve fallen.