Carlos Dunlap out a month, Green-Ellis out a game for Bengals

Carlos Dunlap AP

Avoiding serious injuries is an important goal in preseason games and it is one that the Bengals failed to reach on Friday against the Jets.

Guard Travelle Wharton was lost for the season and two defensive starters, linebacker Rey Maualuga and defensive end Carlos Dunlap, sprained knees before the game was five minutes old. Maualuga isn’t expected to miss much time, but coach Marvin Lewis said Sunday that Dunlap is going to be out a month as he recovers from his injury. That makes it three years in a row with truncated preseason work for Dunlap.

“I mean you can do all you want to prepare and prevent injuries but you can’t prevent all of them,” Dunlap said, via Geoff Hobson of the team’s website. “I feel like I am fully prepared for the ones I can’t control but it is still the game of football. There’s things that happen and now I have to do what I have to do to get back out there.”

If the timeline holds, Dunlap would miss the first weekend of the season. That would be a blow to the team’s front four, especially when it comes to generating the kind of pass rush that would take heat off an ailing secondary.

Adding to the injury woes in Cincinnati is the news that running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis has a foot injury that will keep him out of Thursday’s game. Lewis said that there’s a chance that Green-Ellis could practice later in the week, which is pretty much the same outlook for Maualuga as he recovers from his knee injury.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Carlos Dunlap out a month, Green-Ellis out a game for Bengals”
  1. icecake12 says: Aug 13, 2012 10:15 AM

I hate preseason games! I admit I was there last Friday and was excited finally to see my bengals play. But it was absolutely terrible seeing the Bengals go down. After the first 5 minutes I wanted to go out on the field and threaten to blow the stadium up so everyone would just go home and the game would be over..

2. samoanjungle says: Aug 13, 2012 10:21 AM

4 weeks would put him on schedule for the Friday practice before that first game so hopefully he can make it back for the Ravens.
    The Bengals Defense looked pretty formidable until the injuries. Sanchez was under serious pressure.

3. whodeytn says: Aug 13, 2012 10:27 AM

Not worried about any of this to be honest. With the exception of Wharton, they’ll all be fine.

4. ravenator says: Aug 13, 2012 10:44 AM

Ravens are going to dominate this opener, just like last year.

5. t8ertot says: Aug 13, 2012 10:52 AM

I expected the worst when Wharton went down. I was more worried about Dunlap. He’s supposed to have a breakout year. And like the article said, the secondary needs help. Rey should be fine.

Even with these guys out, the Jets struggled against them. The bengals d is no joke.

6. vincentbojackson says: Aug 13, 2012 11:53 AM

Looks like there’s already going to be a few key starters for both teams on the sideline in ball caps for that Bengals/Ravens opener.

7. deathonwings410 says: Aug 13, 2012 12:34 PM

Hopefully the Ravens and Bengals are both at 100% for the opener, with our TEs both injured until week 1.

8. marima07 says: Aug 13, 2012 4:29 PM

Benny had the dreaded ‘turf toe’ injury that plagued him last season with the Patriots. It would be a huge shame if that were to reoccur on his new team. He looked good out there though.