Eli Manning: I’m not better than Peyton, and don’t need to be

New York Giants v Indianapolis Colts Getty Images

It would have been inconceivable early in Eli Manning’s career that anyone would suggest he was a better quarterback than his older brother. But now that Eli has won his second Super Bowl MVP award, he acknowledges that people sometimes tell him he’s better than Peyton.

I correct them very quickly,” Eli told Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports.

In a wide-ranging interview with Cole, Eli talks about the sibling rivalry that he has never allowed to be a rivalry at all, saying that he has never considered himself better than Peyton and never been motivated by a desire to outdo the brother who was a high school star before him, a college star before him, a No. 1 draft pick before him, a Pro Bowler before him and a Super Bowl MVP before him.

“I’ve never tried to compete with Peyton,” Eli said. “I never tried to say I need to be better than him. I’ve accepted at times that I wasn’t maybe as good as him because he was the No. 1 high school player in the country. In college, he was going to be the first pick in the draft, so if I tried to go out there and be the same person and be better than him or the same person as him, I’m going to drive myself crazy. I’m going to go out and be the best quarterback I can be and get the most out of my potential. If that’s better than him, great. If it’s not, so be it.”

Eli said he views Peyton as a quarterbacking role model.

“I think there’s always an approach growing up where you say, ‘Hey, I want to just get to Peyton’s level of player where he’s at,'” Eli said. “I admire Peyton and watching him on film and the throws he makes and the mechanics, I still watch in awe. He’s still at that top level as far as what he has done with the football. We have a great relationship and it’s a total support [system]. I call him or he calls me, like during the season last year. Especially during the playoff stretch, he would call me and just have little tidbits and pieces of advice a quarterback can talk about that you cherish.”

It remains to be seen which brother will go down in history as the better quarterback. But Eli will be fine with it if everyone says the best Manning was Peyton.

Permalink 117 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
117 Responses to “Eli Manning: I’m not better than Peyton, and don’t need to be”
  1. cooklynn17 says: Aug 13, 2012 9:20 PM

At this point in time you are. And have always been more clutch.

2. seanx40 says: Aug 13, 2012 9:20 PM

I think the number of Super Bowl rings makes me disagree with that statement.

3. electionconfidential says: Aug 13, 2012 9:23 PM

There will come a day when Peyton is so far along in his career that Eli will be playing better. The day may have already come for all I know, but to stay on a man whose older brother is still active and is a four time MVP with these questions is both unwise and unkind.

4. skoobyfl says: Aug 13, 2012 9:23 PM

Just win baby.

5. cleverbob says: Aug 13, 2012 9:23 PM

What’s Peyton’s opinion?

6. puckthefatriots says: Aug 13, 2012 9:23 PM

The voice reason…props to Eli.

7. esorscher says: Aug 13, 2012 9:23 PM

That’s why Eli’s a great quarterback–he’s self-aware

8. eventhorizon04 says: Aug 13, 2012 9:24 PM

They’re both elite QBs.

9. pinkfloydsucks says: Aug 13, 2012 9:25 PM

Eli is being humble we all know hes better than Peyton.

10. alildusty says: Aug 13, 2012 9:26 PM

It’s great to see two siblings who happen to be stars at the same position talk so well about each other all the time.

11. jwreck says: Aug 13, 2012 9:27 PM

Stories like this are why I waste my life on PFT.

12. justinsgiants says: Aug 13, 2012 9:28 PM

I can speak for all Giants fans on this one: we’re pretty damn proud to have you representing us ON and OFF the field.

Eli is like wine – he gets better with age.

13. Ryan Alfieri says: Aug 13, 2012 9:28 PM

I’m a Jets fan, and even I have a real hard time not liking Eli.

14. voiceofsweetness says: Aug 13, 2012 9:30 PM

not even an argument. Peyton may be the best QB ever and Eli was closer to Rex Grossman than Peyton before last yr.
    Peyton hasn’t had near the talent around him that Eli has pretty much his whole career.

15. clemsonstillsucks says: Aug 13, 2012 9:31 PM

I love both of them…like it or not history only remembers statistics.

16. nylon22 says: Aug 13, 2012 9:31 PM

He was better than Peyton last year…

17. nygf says: Aug 13, 2012 9:34 PM

Obviously biased as a Giants fan, but how can you not like this dude? Does his job on the field, stays quiet off of it, and says the right things if and when he does speak up. As an added bonus, he reiterates all the same things all his critics say about him! They can’t even disagree with the guy!

18. brintfatre says: Aug 13, 2012 9:35 PM

As long as he’s on a team whose Defense wins Superbowls he doesn’t need to be. He can just show up and not lose the game for them and be MVP while the D does all the work.

19. jrfrom508 says: Aug 13, 2012 9:35 PM

As a pats fan I still think this is one of the better pft articles I’ve read I’m some time. Great piece about reallll football. Glad it wasn’t Ocho BS or twitter nonsense.
    Thanks for some real talk guys.

20. bennyb82 says: Aug 13, 2012 9:38 PM

If Eli wasnt a football player, he would work in public relations.

21. raider2124 says: Aug 13, 2012 9:42 PM

Peyton was not the number 1 high school player in the country by rating services. Not even the number 1 qb in the state of Louisiana. That would have been Josh booty.

22. worldwidebleater says: Aug 13, 2012 9:43 PM

Wow. He sounds like an adult. How novel.

23. bigdaddystyle says: Aug 13, 2012 9:45 PM

Eli is just fine the way he is. He doesn’t need to be better than Peyton. 2 Rings and consistent clutch performances is pretty successful.

24. higgy1 says: Aug 13, 2012 9:46 PM

The Mannings are a prime example of how football players should carry themselves, Unlike all these guys in the news or all the wrong reasons. You dont see them showboating and dancing all over the field for doing what they are paid to do. Class acts !!!

25. mgifford15 says: Aug 13, 2012 9:46 PM

Both of these guys are classier than most. You have to admire Eli’s willingness to be in peyton’s shadow, and peyton’s willingness to help eli. It doesn’t matter to either of them who’s the better of each. It’s refreshing to see a headline of a new york team that isn’t “Rex Ryan gives tebow a ‘oh jeez golly shucks’ foot massage, to which Rex; pops a ‘woody johnson’…”

26. MichaelEdits says: Aug 13, 2012 9:49 PM

The best Manning is Cooper Manning. He’s never lost a game.

27. dback32 says: Aug 13, 2012 9:52 PM

My God. I love Eli Manning. This guy is THE man and he is also A man.

28. geniusfan says: Aug 13, 2012 10:00 PM

“I think the number of Super Bowl rings makes me disagree with that statement.”

OK so then in your opinion Trent Dilfer is better than Dan Marino?

29. gweez76 says: Aug 13, 2012 10:01 PM

Just an emenantly like able guy. I never bought his brother’s “aww shucks” routine but I believe it for Eli.

It’s too bad the same cant be said of the owner who’s a much lesser man than his father.

30. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 13, 2012 10:03 PM

That’s right, and that’s fine with THIS Giants fan.

31. hulkhogansays says: Aug 13, 2012 10:04 PM

RGIII is better than both brother.

32. cometvs says: Aug 13, 2012 10:06 PM

You don’t hear Eli talking out of his ass like Mike Vick. There’s a reason he’s a winner, that’s one of them.

33. transam7816 says: Aug 13, 2012 10:10 PM

Eli will never be better than Peyton. Rings don’t matter. It’s obvious Peyton is superior.

34. bspurloc says: Aug 13, 2012 10:14 PM

Peytons Mechanics and control of the Offense is much better his coaches drag him down hardcore.
    When u have a chance for UNDEFEATED u go for it no questions asked.

Eli has major issues with delay of games, but he wins baby and he beat the pats TWICE on pure adrenalin and guts!
    When Eli is streaking NOTHING stops him NOTHING.
    Let’s get JPP another Super Bowl Ring!

35. dadeyemi says: Aug 13, 2012 10:15 PM

voiceofreason

are you on something? or do you not watch football? Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne ranks as one of the 10 WR duos and will both go to the hall of fame AND he had Edgerrin James who might be a second ballot HOF. before last yr, Eli had Burress, Toomer, Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Smith. I’ll give you Shockley and Barber but those were the guys who REGRESSED Eli’s development by being cancers in the locker room

36. estuart81 says: Aug 13, 2012 10:16 PM

voiceofsweetness says:
    Aug 13, 2012 9:30 PM

*******************************************
    Have you watched football the last 10 years?!?!?! Eli has more surrounding talent him through the years than Peyton??????

Peyton – Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Marshall Faulk, Edgerrin James, Joseph Addai, Pierre Garcon, Brandon Stokely

Eli – Amani Toomer, Ike Hilliard, Jeremy Shockey, Tiki Barber, Brandon Jacobs, Kevin Boss, Jake Ballard, Hakeem Nicks, Victor Cruz, Mario Manningham

I’m a diehard GMen fan, but Eli has had the better talent around him? Really? In the last year or two, maybe Eli has had better, but throughout their career, no. Eli has definitely been more clutch though.

37. muir6 says: Aug 13, 2012 10:19 PM

What the matter 76 since Mara doesn’t agree with your fat governor or your tea bagging politics he is not a good man, if he doesn’t wear the bush pledge pin is he not American enough for u. go watch fox new and clean your guns loser

38. gloryfromheaven says: Aug 13, 2012 10:22 PM

I hate when most people talk about rings, apparently Trent Dilfer is one of the top quarterbacks of all time and even better then Dan Marino cause he has a ring. Do you realize that Peyton Manning has NEVER had a good defense? Freeney and Mathis are great pass rushers but really, who else did they have? If Peyton Manning had the Giants defense, he probably would have had 3 rings by now…. Please, don’t freakin compare quarterbacks with rings it makes no sense at all

39. wferg1121 says: Aug 13, 2012 10:22 PM

Peyton was a better QB and still may be. Eli is by far more clutch it was ridiculous how many come from behind wins he had. Eli still has a lot of upside so only time will tell. Well said by Eli!

40. niceh11 says: Aug 13, 2012 10:22 PM

Voiceofsweetness: Peyton had Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James, to name a few. Your statement is ludicrous.

Not to mention, Peyton played every home game in a dome. People don’t place enough emphasis on what it’s like playing in the Meadowlands late in the year.

41. bleedburgandyandgold says: Aug 13, 2012 10:22 PM

Hogan your an idiot I’m a die hard redskins fan but even I wouldn’t jump in and say that no matter how much I want RG3 to be epic some of the stuff you say lacks intelligence

42. gophins says: Aug 13, 2012 10:29 PM

As a Dolphins fan, I find myself pretty much hating all successful QB’s (except Aaron Rodgers b/c he played at my alma mater while I was there and had season tix).

And yes, admittedly the only reason I hate the successful QB’s is b/c I haven’t seen one in aqua and orange in a long, long time. Not proud that I feel that way, but unless you’re a Browns (or similar) fan, it’s probably hard to understand.

That being said, really hard to root against either of these guys. Agree with all of the posts above. They compose themselves as true professionals should. Can’t really hate on that.

43. conormacleod says: Aug 13, 2012 10:37 PM

All I ever hear about these two is how hard they are working at football. That’s the kind of player I want on my team.

44. gcsuk says: Aug 13, 2012 10:46 PM

brintfatre says:
    Aug 13, 2012 9:35 PM
    ———————————————————

Giants Defense was ranked 25th overall last year (29th against the pass, 19th against the rush, and the 25th ranked scoring defense). Eli led 6 4th Quarter comebacks last year, meaning that Defense gave up the lead.

Yep, that Defense won it all last year. Eli and his 4900 yards passing and 30 tds had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Oh, I forgot. He also had 1219 yards passing in the post season to lead the league. Not to mention 9 TDs and 1 interception.

At least do your homework before you spout out the same stupid comment about “the defense won it all for the Giants”.

45. truthfactory says: Aug 13, 2012 10:47 PM

Eli’s D gives up 16 PPG in post-season, Peyton’s been playing with a 2-14 level team that gives up 22 PPG in post-season.

Why anyone compares post-season wins as a guage is beyond me. Eli has to put up 20 points to beat the Pats, while Peyton has to put up 38. This is a riduculous topic…

46. dback32 says: Aug 13, 2012 10:47 PM

People who make that Dilfer/Marino argument are dumb as bricks. You look at the WAY these quarterbacks played and/or won their rings.

Marino is an all time great. Dilfer has one ring and ZERO SB MVP’s.

The WAY Eli Maning won his rings and his 2 SBMVPS is extraordinary. Don’t belittle what this young has done. And don’t compare him to Dilfer either. Ever.

47. bamboozle99 says: Aug 13, 2012 10:47 PM

I’d rather have Eli in a close game.

48. gcsuk says: Aug 13, 2012 10:49 PM

hulkhogansays says:
    Aug 13, 2012 10:04 PM
    RGIII is better than both brother.
    ——————————————————–

Not that I have anything against RG3 personally, but I want to see him fail just to shut this idiot up.

Skins fans, this troll is a real embarrassment to all of you.

49. briscocountyjr says: Aug 13, 2012 10:51 PM

It’s good to see Eli take the high-road with this question. He learned from last year (saying he was elite) didn’t work, but let’s not splice good PR with the total QB comparison.

We know that rings don’t tell the whole truth, but Eli has stepped his game up to meet the competition. Let’s not forget the Defenses he’s played with compared to Peyton. There might not be a QB with the total skills on display Peyton has demonstrated, FOR YEARS. Not having legit running backs, and defenses has hurt the team situation for the Colts, and we’ve seen that on display last year when the Colts were chasing a winless “title”.

I have enjoyed watching Eli grow from bumbler to rumbler…let’s just keep an objective view. What’s interesting about this comparison is that because they are brothers, prominent QBs for their teams, they usher into view the topic of how to measure a Quarterback’s greatness– the HOF looks at QB accomplishments such as this to determine their finalists.

50. scandinaviansausage1974 says: Aug 13, 2012 10:53 PM

It’s ALWAYS about the rings!!!
    It’s why you play the games.
    It’s like Bill Parcels said:

You are what your record is.

51. bragerber says: Aug 13, 2012 10:58 PM

Eli has a DEFENSE…I’ll grant you that he is more clutch. However, people bring up all these great players Peyton had…Peyton made them great. Listing off Stokely and Garçon is a joke. Just wait…D. Thomas and Eric Decker will be stars…it’s because of Peyton!

52. dominicthedonkey says: Aug 13, 2012 10:59 PM

hulkhogansays
    Aug 13, 2012, 10:04 PM EDT
    RGIII is better than both brother.
    ——————————————————-
    Dude…I’m tired of your ignorant posts. You obviously don’t know crap about football. You are probably the person who paints their face when going to a game…even the preseason ones. You seem like you’ve never played a sport other than little league and you think you know everything. Do us all a favor, instead of posting crap…go order your Wrestlemania pay preview and sit in your Mom’s basement believing that what you are seeing is real and stop posting crap.

53. noeffinway says: Aug 13, 2012 11:03 PM

Archie and his Wife sure did raise some decent kids.

54. blueballzny says: Aug 13, 2012 11:06 PM

Voiceofsweetness says:

“Peyton hasn’t had near the talent around him that Eli has pretty much his whole career”.
    ___________________________________

Over the years I have read thousands of ridiculous comments by PFT readers, but this is by far the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Since when did Eli have elite talent around him? You are gonna compare Toomer, Burress, Smith and Kevin Boss to Hall of Fame players like Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark? But I guess I shouldn’t be surprised by your comment considering your profile name.

The sad thing about Eli is that no matter what he accomplishes in his career, he will NEVER get the credit that he truly deserves. It is silly to try to compare Payton and Eli. Payton was surrounded by superior offensive talent for the most part and did not have to handle the NY media. For those of you who have never lived in NY, you will never be able to understand what that is like. Just look at how many athletes came to NY and cracked under the pressure. Eli is a special QB. He strives under pressure and plays his best when the game is on the line. He has already led two 4th quarter comebacks in the SuperBowl, both with less than 2 minutes remaining. As a Giants fan I am biased, but Aaron Rodgers is the only other guy in the NFL right now that I would consider taking as my starting QB. I understand that if you are not a Giants fan you will not want to admit this. But enough already. There is no more denying that Eli is an elite QB. The more people try to deny this, the more they sound like ignorant, unintelligent and jealous fans who are incapable of appreciating great football.

55. blue18hutthutt says: Aug 13, 2012 11:09 PM

Eli is definitely more clutch but Peyton is no slouch either, who is 2nd all time for 4th quarter comebacks – in 2009 when the Colts almost went undefeated, it was largely on the strength of Peyton’s 7 4th quarter comebacks

Having said that I would trust Eli more in the play-offs ..Peyton always plays like he has the weight of expectations bearing down on him and just seems to be genuinely snake-bitten in the play-offs

From a pure QB standpoint however, hands down Peyton is the superior passer, mechanically and mentally (Eli is still prone to bone-headed plays, riverboat gamble heaves that fortunately for him have worked out more times than not and delay of game penalties). Eli has never led his team in the top offensive categories year-in-year out either – Peyton has absolute mastery over his offense.

I also have doubts about Eli winning shoot-outs or overcoming large deficits that Peyton has. The 38-34 win over the Patriots in the play-offs was one of the greatest QB performances ever coming back from a 21-3 deficit and just methodically, drive after drive coming back each time.

Either way they’re both HoF QB and Archie should be auctioning his DNA

56. cclaser says: Aug 13, 2012 11:10 PM

Peyton obviously had some excellent skill players around him. That is not the point He hasn’t benefited from the well rounded team and organization like the Giants. Meaning great defense and special teams. How many times have we seen Peyton waiting forever to get the ball back, having little time to throw, and special teams missing big kicks or giving up big returns. It takes a team.

57. dback32 says: Aug 13, 2012 11:11 PM

Eli Manning won SB 46 with the 32nd ranked run game. He endured the most pressures of any QB last season. He brought a 9-7 team into the playoffs. His defense gave up approx 400 points, 25 avg per game. He played SB 46 without a tight end.

I wonder sometimes if the younger Manning is unfairly underrated. Actually, I know he is. Like I heard on the radio the other day: “They will underrate Eli Manning right into the Hall of Fame.”

58. blueballzny says: Aug 13, 2012 11:12 PM

Hey truthfactory:

Payton also had homefield throughout the playoffs while Eli has had to consistently win on the road in some of the toughest stadiums and environments in the NFL.

You can’t compare the two players, but if your gonna try then you can’t just throw out facts facts that you think help to support your side of the argument.

59. rugdaniels says: Aug 13, 2012 11:12 PM

Eli really handles these types of questions well. He’s got the duel challenge of having a Hall of Fame brother preceding him in the NFL and playing in the biggest media market in the league. Before his recent successes the guy took a lot of criticism, some unfair, a good bit earned, and he hasn’t offered the slightest ‘I told you so’.

60. gcsuk says: Aug 13, 2012 11:12 PM

briscocountyjr says:

———————————————————–

61. jwreck says: Aug 13, 2012 11:17 PM

_______
    Joseph Addai? In a list of talented players? Really? And Plaxico Burress? Not in a list of talented players? Really? Also, Faulk and Manning only played together for one year. To be evenhanded, Jake Ballard does not belong on the same list as Nicks, Faulk, Cruz, and Harrison, but replacing him with Plax sounds fair.

I don’t want to enter into a Manning debate, on one side or the other, but offensive talents don’t make a team. It’s ridiculous to list the talent surrounding Eli without including the NYG defense, which has been consistently great over the last decade, while the Colts’ has been above average at best. I’m still at work, and as long as I’m they’re paying me overtime, I might as well fact check myself. And yes, New York has had a better defense than Indy’s every year since Eli entered the league.

Secondly, while Edge was clearly a better player in his prime than any member of the Giants’ Earth, Wind, and Fire, (also slightly better than Tiki) the New York running game as a whole has clearly been superior to the Colts’ for the last 10 years. Again, as long as I’m getting overtime to look up football stats: yes, the Giants have had a substantially better running game than the Colts every year from 2004 until 2011, though the choice between keeping the ball on the ground and giving it to Curtis Painter kind of skews the statistics for that year.

Point is, an Eli/Peyton debate could go on forever, as could a 2000’s Colts/Giants debate. The only question we can come to an easy conclusion on is a Jerry Reese/Bill Polian debate: a debate which is clearly already over.

62. saintsfan26 says: Aug 13, 2012 11:26 PM

What do you expect when they are the sons of a Saint? Who Dat!

63. exhelodrvr says: Aug 13, 2012 11:29 PM

Hard to make “4th quarter comebacks” if the defense isn’t stopping the other team’s offense.

64. briscocountyjr says: Aug 13, 2012 11:31 PM

gcsuk says:
    Aug 13, 2012 11:12 PM

“Edgerrin James played 7 seasons in Indy with Peyton. In those 7 years, he played in 96 games and ran for 9,226 yards (96 yards a game). Only one of those years (2002) did he run for an average under 4.0 a carry (3.6). He still holds 5 Colts rushing records. He won the NFL Rushing title 2 years in a row (1999-2000).

Averaging just under 100 yards a game for 7 years sounds like a pretty “legit running back” to me.”

Their defense was the worst then than any other time.

65. blue18hutthutt says: Aug 13, 2012 11:35 PM

You can’t really use the talent argument to suggest Peyton couldn’t succeed without it – in the last 4 years of Peyton’s Colts career he played with declining talent and played behind one of the worst OL in the league (and still was only sacked under 20 times per season on average) and had a bottom 3 running game for 3 of those years (went to a Superbowl with the 31st ranked rushing attack)

You can’t take away what Manning accomplished with Marvin, Reggie, Clark and Stokley …the only QB to have 3 1000 yard WRs with over 10TDs in a season and for that stretch between 2003-2006 had arguably the most prolific offense in the league with an unmatched level of offensive efficiency. These offenses had the highest 3rd down conversion percentages, the most sustained drives, plays per drive, points per drive and overcame some terrible D which constantly had them in the deficit with time of posession. Many QBs have great weapons around them, but not every QB squeezes every last ounce of potential out of them the way Peyton does

66. hulkhogansays says: Aug 13, 2012 11:36 PM

Tons of respect for Peyton. But to say he’s better today than RGIII is insane. The one trait he’s got over RGIII in 2012 is accuracy. In every other aspect, RGIII is equal if not better.

The other Manning? Well lets just say I even respect Newton and Romo over him and if you know me, you know how big my disdain for those two are. If you don’t like hearing the truth brother, then so be it.

67. patfanken says: Aug 13, 2012 11:39 PM

For a guy who cost my team 2 superbowls, Eli is a much harder guy to hate than his brother. This kid is a class act. Tough, courageous and clutch.

68. broncosnative says: Aug 13, 2012 11:42 PM

People are just looking for controversy, Eli is not gonna bash his brother nor would Peyton do the same. They have a great relationship and both are great QBs in their own way. The NFL is still a team game, no individual player has won it all for their team. Its up to Peyton to throw an accurate ball as its up to Harrison to catch the ball. If it was all manning, he wouldn’t have anyone to throw it to, I don’t buy into whose the better QB, the question is who has the better team all around

69. truthfactory says: Aug 13, 2012 11:43 PM

blueballzny says:
    Aug 13, 2012 11:12 PM

Hey truthfactory:

————————–
    Thats great that he plays on the road. But when his D hold Atlanta to 0 points, Packers to 17, SF to like 17, and Pats to 20… I give more credit to his D.

In every one of his playoff wins, his D held opponents to 20 points or less. Can you imagine the Colts holding teams to an average of 16 points over an 8 game stretch in the playoffs?? NEVER! The one time they kind of stepped up in the playoffs, they won the SB! That was actaully a bad post-season for Peyton but his team stepped up and he got his ring.

70. fafaflunky says: Aug 13, 2012 11:47 PM

Peyton better by far..Eli is just plain
    Lucky

71. rnazriel says: Aug 13, 2012 11:52 PM

Seriously ppl you are insanne. Payton is the prototype QB. Great mechanics, aware, elevates recievers to highest level. Eli is equally special but with a superior GM that elevated defense to a higher level before its time. GMEN bias would love either on my team but Eli is the man!

72. dabossditka says: Aug 14, 2012 12:17 AM

Super bowl rings = better QB?? No. It’s a team sport. Eli has looked bad and been bad in the playoffs but his team has pulled him through. Aka David tyree catch. Eli I great but payton is way better. You people need to wake up and stop thinking rings equal better. Put Marino with a better team he wins. Elway was at the end of career and finally won and he is amazing. Take the blinders off. Payton can do what no other qb can. Eli has has alot of help. Winning a Super Bowl Is one thing. But had Eli ever dominated a super bowl like the 85 bears d? No he had help. Both times. Eli is good. Payton is good. But id take payton anyday. U all are a bunch of idiots who probably got cut from your pop Warner team. Idiots.

73. elibestqbever says: Aug 14, 2012 12:28 AM

Eli still has 10 years left in NFL, he is on pace to at the very least be close to every single qb record. If he wins another ring or 2 he will be in convo of best ever.

74. damnskins703 says: Aug 14, 2012 12:53 AM

Peyton Manning will always be the better qb, he’s one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game,… Eli is good as well and has progressed a lot during his career and still continues to get better

75. nyg4life says: Aug 14, 2012 12:56 AM

RG3 better then the Manning brothers? LMAO Hulkhogansays say no to drugs

76. i10east says: Aug 14, 2012 12:59 AM

I don’t see why it’s so ‘taboo’ to think that Eli is better than his brother, I do. Eli has won one more Super Bowl than Peyton, can’t argue with facts. So stat loving Peyton zombies, go on and give me a thumbs down, Eli is better than his brother!!!

77. listenupcupcake says: Aug 14, 2012 1:06 AM

Eli has shown he’s an elite QB, especially in the clutch. That’s quality.

Eli has also shown that he has great respect for his brother. That’s love.

Eli has said doesn’t need to be better than Peyton, but only to be the best he can be. That’s class, and maturity.

As a life-long Eagles fan, I have tremendous respect for Eli Manning, as a QB and more importantly, as a man. Kudos to Eli, his family, and the NYG.

78. matthewcarlson1 says: Aug 14, 2012 1:32 AM

Both were #1 overall picks and both have won at least 1 superbowl. and both have been the mvp of the game. The only thing Eli needs is a reg season MVP… hard for either to be jealous with the successes both have enjoyed!

79. oaktown49er says: Aug 14, 2012 1:35 AM

I hated Eli when he was drafted, only because he made a fuss about not going to San Diego (the whale’s v******). But he was so tough against my Niners in the NFC Champ game. He also beat Tom Brady not once but twice in the Super Bowl. Now this comment, props to Eli, good for you man.

80. peytonsneck18 says: Aug 14, 2012 1:50 AM

Eli has had a more balanced team around him and plays in an out doors stadium so hes used to inclimate weather, but peyton had the burden of putting the team on his back, that wears down a player ….brother!!

81. allisab says: Aug 14, 2012 1:51 AM

This guy has one great season and all of a sudden he’s among the greatest of all time? Absolutely ridiculous. Eli will be playing second fiddle to his big brother once again this year.

82. nygdriveforfive says: Aug 14, 2012 1:56 AM

Hogan you can’t compare a guy who zero nfl starts to Peyton Manning. Payton is better now but Eli will sit at the head of the table when it is all said and done.

83. rickyspanish says: Aug 14, 2012 2:16 AM

dominicthedonkey

Those are some of the weakest insults I’ve ever read. He probably doesn’t play sports, he paints his face and the most over used cliche of them all, living in his mother’s basement. Way to be, turkey.

84. tom35mt says: Aug 14, 2012 2:33 AM

Eli fans are the most annoying fans out there, yes even more so than Tebow or Favre fans

85. klownshoes says: Aug 14, 2012 2:46 AM

Voiceofsweetness says:

How many years did Peyton and Marvin Harrison play together, ten years? How about Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark? I think it’s eight and six, respectively, but I’m not 100% sure.

Regardless, Eli’s had an ever-changing cast of WRs and TEs since he’s been in the league. He had Toomer for five years, but, clearly his skills were diminishing in the last two. No one else has lasted more than four years. I’ll wager that if Eli had a little more continuity with his WRs and TEs, he would’ve thrown for a lot more yardage, with more TD passes and fewer interceptions over the years.

To his credit, Eli’s made the Pro Bowl twice, in 2008 and 2011. Each time, it was with a completely different corps of WRs and TEs.

86. sreske93 says: Aug 14, 2012 3:20 AM

As a packer fan I hate Eli. He’s been a thorn in their side for the past couple years. On the other hand as a person, I think he’s a stand up guy which is only further proven thru this interview

Peyton has been consistent year in year out throughout his career. Eli has had everything from piss-poor seasons to great seasons. I’ll wait an see how Eli comes off the year he had before outright choosing one over the other.

87. piemasteruk says: Aug 14, 2012 3:37 AM

To be honest it’s very difficult to say which player has had the better talent around them, especially when you’re talking about receivers. Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark have only ever really had Peyton throwing to them. Did he make them look good or did they make him look good? In the case of Wayne and Clark maybe the next couple of seasons will tell us. You could even say the same thing about other positions. Edgerrin James never averaged over 4ypc without Peyton having the safeties on their heels the entire game. Even defences can look better when they can be aggressive knowing that giving away one or two big plays won’t automatically lose them the game.

Not that I’m committing either way whether Eli is or will ever be better than Peyton, just saying that rattling off a list of names that they’ve played with doesn’t mean that much on it’s own unless you can also see how those players have played with other QBs.

88. davisbm49 says: Aug 14, 2012 6:30 AM

NFL MVP Awards:

Peyton – 4
    Eli – 0

End of discussion.

89. tlmoon2112 says: Aug 14, 2012 8:38 AM

Id take Eli over Peyton anyday and twice on Sundays. Not because he’s better, but because he has a sense of humility that Peyton just flat out doesnt have.

90. notdemfalcons says: Aug 14, 2012 8:52 AM

Just chiming in on the “who has more talent around them argument” as well as the awesome suggestion that Archie put his DNA up for bid.
    Yes, Archie should! But also, you only need to look at his career with the Saints to know that yes indeed, in football you must have some surrounding talent to win the Lombardi. Comparing the talent level of Peyton and Eli’s squads is a little tough because the Colts and Giants have been two very different franchises, philosophically, during their respective careers.
    Don’t have to like either one, but should respect the he*l out of both of em!

91. patriotera says: Aug 14, 2012 9:14 AM

Make it interesting. Ask him if he is the best Giants QB of all time Or better than Phil Simms.

92. lombardisshineinfoxborough says: Aug 14, 2012 9:14 AM

93. skinsrock says: Aug 14, 2012 9:27 AM

Defense wins championships & Eli for most of his career has had the upper hand with the Giants… Like he said, not as good as Peyton, doesn’t have to be.

94. jedigiant says: Aug 14, 2012 9:49 AM

Defense wins championships but Eli had to lead two fourth quarter drives to win both of those championships! That’s something Payton couldn’t do. It ended up going the other way dealing the win for the saints!

95. mannyicey says: Aug 14, 2012 9:54 AM

Eli told the truth!

Why?

If Eli Manning were to get injured and had to sit out the entire season, would the Giants win a few games? I’m not talking about playoffs or anything. I’m talking about 1 or 2 games.

96. ggbblue says: Aug 14, 2012 10:09 AM

For these mental midgets who love to make the “Eli is only good because of his Defense” argument, I have just one logical question.

Where was this vaunted Giants defense between 1990 and 2007? The time in-between Lombardi trophies?

The Giants have won 2 SB’s in five years under Eli Manning. That is not luck. That is not defense. That is the franchise player doing exactly what he was brought in to do. Bring his team to championships and WIN them. The Giants are fortunate indeed to have Eli Manning.

97. luckyarmpit says: Aug 14, 2012 10:09 AM

What more could you ask for as far as being humble and/or down-to-earth? Yes, I was a little harsh on Eli during his early years with the Giants but I couldn’t be happier to have him as QB of my beloved Giants. He has definitely come into his own. He goes out there and plays football to the best of his ability, and win or lose, that’s good enough for him. I’m so glad he doesn’t beat himself up with his brother, and I’m also glad that the media doesn’t beat the big brother/little brother item to death.

98. bragerber says: Aug 14, 2012 10:12 AM

Oh yeah, because Eli put all the pressure on Brady and made it difficult for the Pats to score points in those SBs…oh wait, that was his defense!

99. pubobby2004 says: Aug 14, 2012 10:16 AM

Super bowl = team award
    MVP = individual award

Would anyone make the argument Trent dilfer was better than Marino?

No. The one year the colts had a healthy legit defense they won it all.
    Peyton even got them back to the big game again with high school players and no head coach. But he couldn’t overcome guys playing for bounties. And drew Brees and a full roster.

100. theboysofdallas says: Aug 14, 2012 10:43 AM

Good thing Eli knows his place

101. joeyd524 says: Aug 14, 2012 11:00 AM

Eli has 5-6 more good years ahead of him while Peyton’s career is pretty much over,so ask the question again in 2017..

102. Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 14, 2012 11:11 AM

lombardisshineinfoxborough says:Aug 14, 2012 9:14 AMI couldn’t care less what the consensus is on Eli vs. Peyton or anybody else but I will say that Eli couldn’t possibly be any less representative of his fan base. Humble. Modest. Down to earth. It’s refreshing and the polar opposite of how NYG fans carry themselves.
    ________

I am convinced that people like you make comments such as these because (whoever, didn’t have to be the Giants) beat your team, who you just KNEW would win it all, and because they didn’t, you can’t go around gloating the way you planned.

So you throw around nonsense like this, KNOWING it is the furthest thing from the truth.

103. lombardisshineinfoxborough says: Aug 14, 2012 12:35 PM

Mr. Wright 212 says: Aug 14, 2012 11:11 AM

________

________

I’m not entirely sure of exactly what you’re saying but will tell you that I’ve been fortunate enough to see the Pats play in 7 super bowls and never once felt I KNEW they would win or lose. In fact, I’m nervous about every game because I believe 1000% in the ‘any given Sunday’ adage. As for the past Super Bowl, and 42, as much as there’s no disputing the Giants were the better team in that game and deserved to win, there’s also no disputing that they were fortunate in both games for a variety of reasons, and as such you’d think NYG fans would show even a sliver of good sportsmanship in victory…which the vast majority have not. So to say a guy like Eli couldn’t be any less representative of his fan base is pretty much spot on, and I think you’d find that 90% of NFL fans outside of New York agree.

104. bigbluefan1 says: Aug 14, 2012 1:34 PM

I am so tired of hearing all the BS out of Pats and Packer fans.

When it comes to who is better the story is still being written
    When it comes to who beats the Packers and Pats when it counts well its 2 for Eli and Packers and Pats 0

One thing that no one considers is that Eli is under the brighter light he has the NY media up his butt with everything he says or does. Payton had a much easier time of it as Football was not even that big a deal in Indy till payton started winning.

The New York area the real title town is a much tougher city then Indy

105. jwreck says: Aug 14, 2012 1:46 PM

klownshoes says: Aug 14, 2012 2:46 AM

______
    A completely different corps receivers, yes. But that doesn’t mean he’s doing it with Laurent Robinson, Jabar Gaffney, and Roscoe Parrish. (Nothing against Robinson, Gaffney, or Parrish, just listing mediocre receivers with recognizable names) He did it with Plaxico Burress, Hakeem Nicks, and Victor Cruz. An unstoppable defense didn’t hurt either.

Not saying that Eli didn’t do more with less, just saying that Peyton didn’t do less with more.

Secondly, doesn’t this whole debate seem a little strange to anybody? Eli was the one who said he wasn’t better than Peyton, and somehow I feel like he’s the one with the best grasp on this situation.

106. patriotera says: Aug 14, 2012 2:08 PM

Eli has a career QB rating in the NFL of 82.1 Peyton = 94.9 Tom Brady = 96.4 Eli didn’t even get the Giants to the playoffs for back to back years. Then in a *lock out season, things work out for them.

107. defscottyb says: Aug 14, 2012 9:52 PM

Peyton Manning is a better quarterback than Eli Manning. Eli has just been luckier than Peyton. No offense to Eli, he is a very very good qb but not as good as Peyton.

108. defscottyb says: Aug 14, 2012 9:56 PM

Seriously, if you were staring your own NFL team and had to choose one of the two which one would you take (and throw out age). You would take Peyton hands down.

109. jjackwagon says: Aug 15, 2012 3:34 PM

“Indy never had a defense!” whine…whine…whine…
    “Eli is only good because of the defense!” cry…cry…cry…

Look it’s not Eli’s fault that the Colts never put together a good enough defense to sustain success and win more superbowls. Last time I checked this is a TEAM sport. Individual stats really don’t matter until HOF time.

Like it or not every team, every owner & every fan bases success on winning the Superbowl.

So I ask you this, “If you have to choose between Marino or Montana, who are you taking?” I take Montana every time. Not because he is a better individual player but because he is the better team player and this is a team sport.
    For the same reason, I take Eli over Peyton.

110. crawfish2011 says: Aug 15, 2012 10:32 PM

Seriously, Eli Manning is arguably better than Peyton.

Eli Manning has the most road playoff wins ever.

Eli Manning 5 -1
    Dan Marino 1 – 6
    Peyton Manning 2 – 5
    Joe Montana 2-5
    Brett Favre 3 – 7
    Tom Brady 3 -2

111. The Prophet says: Aug 15, 2012 10:58 PM

Funny I’ve never heard Peyton make the slightest implication that perhaps Eli might be “greater” since Eli is 2-0 in Super Bowls carried BY Eli, and Peyton is 1-1. I’d love to see some actual humility from Peyton one day.

112. The Prophet says: Aug 15, 2012 11:01 PM

The real question is, you just entered the playoffs, who do you want to be QB for your team, Eli or Peyton. Before you answer think about their respective playoff histories. Not press voted awards, media hype, or regular season fantasy football stats, but actual wins in January in February. Who has excelled in those games with heroic passes and who has been shut down and had several losses with multiple picks in single game. Furthermore, who has won those close playoff/Super Bowl games, and who came up short.

113. pongonfl says: Aug 16, 2012 2:02 PM

Well.
    Watching the packers-giants play off game last year I saw the dynamic that reminded me of the old AFC games between the Pats and Colts(going back to the mid 2000s here) Where the lack of pass interference calls against the Pats made Payton desperate, ends up leading to a pick(or the pick was really just a missed pass interference call) and the game ends with Payton turning the ball over.

But that is not what happened with Eli. The Refs did their part to give the game to the Packers, but Eli didnt blink, and the Giants didn’t blink. They kept on playing and won the game.

That is not just Eli though, its Caughlin and the Giants in general.

But in the history of these two players, If the colts could have played through that kind of thing like the Giants have, Payton would have a few more rings then he does.
    Toughness(but not to do with bad officiating) cost them the Saints superbowl too.

114. bosspower says: Aug 16, 2012 8:39 PM

If I go by the Big time players make Big Plays in Big games……I have to go with Eli. “Make him throw to Pascoe, Make him throw to Manningham, this is a Cruz and Nicks game.” Peyton on the other hand throws a Pick 6 in SB. So yeah Im going Eli.

115. richiebburg says: Aug 17, 2012 10:10 AM

If Peyton Manning had half a defense when the Colts had Him, Marvin Harrison, and Edgerrin James in their primes they would have won several superbowls.

116. n0hopeleft says: Aug 19, 2012 9:45 AM

I remember how much of a hater I was of other QBs, before Eli won my team 2 rings in 5 years. Now, when I read the hate, I just laugh at all of you – because I remember what it was like to SUCK.

Go cry.

117. jasncondit says: Aug 20, 2012 3:14 PM

Truth – If Peyton Manning doesn’t come into the NFL and light it up, no way in the world does anyone draft Eli in the 1st round and let alone with the Giants. So the Giants need to thank Peyton in some ways because that’s why everyone wanted Eli. They wanted another Peyton.

I’m a Lions fan and I’m not stubborn or blind to that fact to admit it!