Everette Brown trying to shake bust label with Lions

Everette Brown AP

It wasn’t that long ago that Everette Brown was worth a first-round pick.

Now he’s on his third team in a calendar year.

But with a strong showing in his first preseason game, Brown’s hoping to make a name for himself with the Lions. He had 1.5 sacks and hit the quarterback four times against Cleveland Friday.

“I really can’t put my finger on any issue there,” Brown told Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. “But one thing’s for sure, it’s been a learning curve for me throughout my career, especially this last year.

“The chip on my shoulder’s bigger than ever. Every time I get on the field, every time I get an opportunity to play, I want to make sure that I perform to my level.”

Once upon a time, that level was viewed differently.

Desperate for a fallback plan for the soon-to-be departing Julius Peppers, the Panthers traded a 2010 first-round pick to take Brown 43rd overall in 2009. But the spin move that made him a successful pass-rusher at Florida State never translated, and when Ron Rivera took over the Panthers in 2011, Brown was cut after two uninspiring seasons (6.0 sacks).

He signed with San Diego in November, but cut in March when the Lions gave him another chance.

After bouncing between a 4-3 and a 3-4 and back, he looked more comfortable Friday. While he said his weight was the same (260-ish), he looked sluggish in 2010 when he bulked up to try to play the run better.

“Friday, he was around the quarterback and he’s skilled enough to do that,” Lions coach Jim Schwartz said. “He fits our scheme well. He made some plays for us in the game. He’s still developing within our scheme. We play a little different than other people. I think he fits real well and he’s had a good camp.”

Between Cliff Avril, Kyle Vanden Bosch and Willie Young, the Lions have a solid base of talent at defensive end. Tapping into Brown’s talent would give them a bonus, at a time when Brown’s first team doesn’t have nearly enough players who can get to the quarterback.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Everette Brown trying to shake bust label with Lions”
  1. thekiy says: Aug 13, 2012 1:29 PM

Don’t forget a rejuvenated Lawrence Jackson at DE and newcomer Ronnell Lewis.

Lions talent at DE is unbelievably deep, alongside their studs at DT. It’s a scary front four right down to the 3rd stringers.

2. flapjackdaddy says: Aug 13, 2012 1:38 PM

From a Panthers fan: Good for him. For serious.

3. sportsworldforumscom says: Aug 13, 2012 1:57 PM

Hope he makes the team, I think it’s between him and Fluellen, but Fluellen can play both DT and DE, so I think he has the upper hand as of right now.

4. garrison1981 says: Aug 13, 2012 2:12 PM

The way Detroit rotates our D-line in and out I think we will forsure have have number one unit if backfield can step up. Liked the first impression I saw from Bently, good ball skills n open field talking! Should have had 2 but had 1 pick! Gonna be a fun season.

5. cmutimmah says: Aug 13, 2012 2:16 PM

I’m a Lions fan, but it’s not just that. I love when bust players get a fresh start and perform on the field. Usually by then the big money the received early was gone, and all that’s left is a player fighting for a job.

I’ll be rooting for him, and other star player turned underdogs all preseason.

The fact that they ignored LoJack in this article though, that was pretty rude. He had a lot of sacks last year for a backup DE…

6. raider2124 says: Aug 13, 2012 2:23 PM

I can’t believe the panthers gave up a first round pick on draft day for a fsu tweener. I don’t know who’s dumber, the actual gm who made this deal, the owner for hiring the gm or anyone who votes for Obama.

7. angrylionsfan says: Aug 13, 2012 2:51 PM

All the more reason to let Cliff Avril walk after this year if he won’t take the offer that was on the table. I’d love to see LoJack, Young, Brown, and Lewis all get some decent rotation time this year to see if they could live without Avril. I like Cliff but he ain’t Jarred Allen or Julius Peppers and he doesn’t deserve to be paid that way. On another team without a D Line like Detroit’s I still think he is a 6-8 sack DE.

8. jimmylions says: Aug 13, 2012 6:22 PM

I love it whenever I read a story about one of the guys doing well when making a fresh start.

I also like the idea of a killer pass rush that takes pressure off the defensive backfield, but we still need some better players back there to stop the pass.