Ryan Mathews thinks he’ll be ready for the opener

Ryan Mathews, A.J. Hawk AP

Beyond yards or touchdowns, Ryan Mathews goal is to play 16 games this year.

Last week’s broken clavicle, which was expected to sideline him four to six weeks after Friday’s surgery, doesn’t change that goal.

Mathews told Michael Gehlken of U-T San Diego he still thought he’d be ready to play in the regular season opener Sept. 10.

“I think I heal pretty fast,” Mathews said. “I think I’ll be good in time to play against the Raiders. . . .

“I’m happy it happened now than against the Raiders. It’s better that it happened now, just to get it out of the way. It gives me a few weeks to recover and get back at it.”

Mathews wasn’t wearing a sling, and moved his right arm around to show mobility. He’s also continued to do conditioning work while out of practice.

“My legs aren’t broken,” Mathews said. “I can still do stuff with my legs and everything. It’s more just upper body stuff that I’ll probably have to shy away from, but my legs work just fine.”

The fact he’s going to be close to ready, at least, by the opener explains why the Chargers haven’t gone out for a replacement. They’re working with in-house backups now, and if Mathews is on track to be out there against the Raiders in Week 1, there was no need for a Cedric Benson or another free agent.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers
13 Responses to “Ryan Mathews thinks he’ll be ready for the opener”
  1. gaykegayden says: Aug 13, 2012 10:49 AM

Gayke Gayden sez: Mathews thinks he heels pretty fast? That’s a good one.

2. sandiegosportswire says: Aug 13, 2012 10:49 AM

I believe the “D” stands for “Doubtful”!

3. southpaw2k says: Aug 13, 2012 10:52 AM

Ryan, I’m sure you will be healed in time for the season opener, only at which time you’ll break one of your metatarsals in your foot and be out most of the season then.

4. East Coast Raider says: Aug 13, 2012 10:54 AM

5. mjbulls45 says: Aug 13, 2012 10:55 AM

as the years go by , the only thing to judge franchises and organizations is by # of rings,

the chargers have 0 ,

be ready MNF opener in Oakland ryan,

the entire bay area will be ready for you,

6. panamon says: Aug 13, 2012 11:12 AM

“East Coast Raider says:
    Aug 13, 2012 10:54 AM
    He’s happy it happened now instead of then? That’s not how it works; just because it happens once doesn’t mean it won’t happen again. That statement makes no sense whatsoever.”

Except if a Raider said it it would make sense huh? You don’t want to miss games that matter, he won’t miss more than a few but if his injury happened later he would definitely miss several.

7. thraiderskin says: Aug 13, 2012 11:51 AM

I hope he can make it back… I’m not going to cheer for him, but these sort of injuries really suck, no matter the team. The Raiders are still gonna beat the powder blue out of the San Diego, but best of luck to this kid in his recovery

8. mrgroovesd says: Aug 13, 2012 1:00 PM

I hope he’s just ready. Just heal up completely and 100%. I’ve always rooted for him and I know he has a lot pressure on him because of the shoes he has to fill after LT left. Just make sure you’re healthy when you do come back Ryan.

9. brassknuckles47 says: Aug 13, 2012 2:53 PM

Is it possible that Ryan Matthews and Larry English are related to AJ Smith?

10. asabolts says: Aug 13, 2012 3:06 PM

Raider fans Love to point SD has no rings, tell you what how about be relevent in the last decade. Last time you went to the Bowl you got destroyed and have done SQUAT since then. Go ahead Bay Area be ready for opening Monday night, just like you were last game of the season at home no less and a win puts you in the Playoffs and you still couldn’t get the job done against the BOLTS!!!

11. rollerino1 says: Aug 13, 2012 5:57 PM

No you won’t.

12. natelan69 says: Aug 13, 2012 6:03 PM

The Raiders are still a team? I haven’t heard a peep out of them for over a decade.

13. East Coast Raider says: Aug 13, 2012 6:09 PM

I get that he doesn’t want to miss games that matter. That makes sense. But saying “Get it out of the way” implies that since he got hurt now, he thinks it will never happen again. And sorry, high speed, if our own Mr. Glass, Darren McFadden, ever said he was happy to get an injury “out of the way,” I’d question it just as much.