Sssshhhhh: Jets practice their Wildcat package in secret

Tim Tebow, Jamaal Anderson AP

There were dozens of reporters to document a shirtless Tim Tebow running in the rain.

But now that he’s doing the running around the Jets envisioned for him, no one’s talking.

The Jets worked on their Wildcat package — which has become the catch-all, if not always accurate name for non-traditional QB play — in front of the media Monday, but with restrictions. Since the practice was closed to the public, the Jets put restrictions on what could be reported. (For the record, that’s a fairly standard stipulation when teams move out of training camp mode. When reporters are allowed in at all, formation and strategic issues are off-limits because coaches as a lot are a paranoid bunch.)

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” running back Joe McKnight said, via Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “Wildcat? I don’t know nothing about the Wildcat.”

Keeping private the particulars of the packages they want to use in the regular season is a big deal to new offensive coordinator Tony Sparano, and his players were quick to adopt the omerta.

“You have to talk to Coach Sparano. There’s a lot going on,” quarterback Mark Sanchez replied when asked if the packages were similar to what the Jets did in the past with Brad Smith. “It’s some pretty intense stuff.”
Asked if he had ever been a part of a secret practice, Tebow joked: “I don’t know if I’ve ever seen as much interest

“I don’t know if it’s secrecy,” he said. “We’re going out there, running our offense and our plays. It’s just part of the offense to us. Like we wouldn’t talk about play action plays. It’s just nothing something we [need] to talk about how much we do it.”

To be honest, keeping opponents talking about the Wildcat is a good thing for the Jets, since it forces them to plan for something that might only happen a few snaps a game. We’ll see this fall, however, if it’s worth the time they spend practicing it themselves.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Sssshhhhh: Jets practice their Wildcat package in secret”
  1. nomoresteelersfansplease says: Aug 13, 2012 12:16 PM

I’m sure Dareus, Anderson, Merriman, Mario/Kyle, and the rest of that Bills defense arw just SHAKING in their boots. I’m sure Gailey hasn’t slept in weeks. After all, dat wildcat be crazyyyy

2. wtfchiefs says: Aug 13, 2012 12:16 PM

I love this style of offense. It’s game breaking.

Sincerely,
    The 1930’s

3. redandgoldhitman52 says: Aug 13, 2012 12:18 PM

im shocked…

4. cruuuzcontrol says: Aug 13, 2012 12:21 PM

In honor of Tebow, they changed its name from Wildcat to Jesusfish. So clever, those Jets.

5. summitgingo says: Aug 13, 2012 12:25 PM

In related news, once again Sanchez was seen eating a hotdog on the sidelines

6. scoops1 says: Aug 13, 2012 12:26 PM

In other news, Rex just cleaned house at old country buffet

7. dmartin17 says: Aug 13, 2012 12:26 PM

What a mess this jets team is…

8. thesmartestmanever says: Aug 13, 2012 12:27 PM

there’s yet another secret package the jets are working on it’s called the Rex Ryan severence package, and it’s gonna be awesome baby!!!!!!

9. okldr8daz says: Aug 13, 2012 12:29 PM

Shhhhh & Rex Ryan go together like Ike & Tina Turner!

10. westchiefs5 says: Aug 13, 2012 12:31 PM

I gotta say, this Jets bashing/media coverage is annoying. In this instance, we are criticizing the Jets for not talking about a formation/play they are going to run. Go ahead and ask Bill Belichick to talk about what they run in practice and see what happens.

11. pftcensorssuck says: Aug 13, 2012 12:32 PM

The wraps will come off Week 1 when the Yets are exposed as a team desperate enough to try the Wildcat, and fail miserably.

12. bingobrown12 says: Aug 13, 2012 12:50 PM

I hope Sporano keeps it simple.Jets are used to
    Schotty calling the plays don’t want to confuse them
    any more then they all ready are.

13. oldschoolomen says: Aug 13, 2012 1:18 PM

Did you get Marvin Lewis’ permission to write a story about the Jets and the wildcat?

14. hansenbrothers says: Aug 13, 2012 2:04 PM

The secret part is that it’s terrible

15. electionconfidential says: Aug 13, 2012 2:07 PM

If any of these teams actually RAN a wildcat you wouldn’t need extra info. If you want to see a wildcat go to YouTube and search “Miami Dolphins Wildcat” and there are some videos from a couple of years back where they actually ran one rather than a series of option read pro sets like you saw in Denver last year.

A wildcat is a variation on the old single wing and snapping to the QB is the exception rather than the rule.

If you’re real into the subject go to YouTube and just type in “single wing”. They have some great old film of plays run from that set. Very cool. It’s like a shell game or “football football, who’s got the football”.

16. profootballwalk says: Aug 13, 2012 2:09 PM

If the QB is taking the snap, it’s not the Wildcat – as the writer knows. So why do they insist on calling it what they know it’s not? With Tebow, it’s either an option run play or a pass play with a designed read and run option. Not Wildcat.

17. florida727 says: Aug 13, 2012 2:44 PM

I find it interesting the Ryan is so hyped about this style of offense, calling it very hard to defend. I am a Tebow fan, so even though I’m biased, I’m also a realist. In COLLEGE this is an incredible offense, virtually unstoppable (as he proved at Florida). In the PROS however, the speed of the defenders is problematic. The more narrow hash-marks might help, but generally speaking, I think defensive speed negates a lot of the advantages this offense would otherwise have. As much as I hate to say it, I don’t think it’ll work.

18. blackfoot11 says: Aug 13, 2012 3:09 PM

I know Santonio Holmes is stoked about this.

19. whodeytn says: Aug 13, 2012 5:13 PM