Terrelle Pryor gets his first football action in a long time tonight

Carson Palmer, Terrelle Pryor AP

When the Raiders and Cowboys get together in Oakland on Monday night, quarterback Terrelle Pryor will step into the spotlight for the first time since the Sugar Bowl that capped the 2010 season.

The post-lockout, later-than-usual supplemental draft followed by a five-game non-suspension suspension resulted in Pryor making it onto the field for only one snap in 2011, which was negated by a penalty.

I can’t wait,” Pryor recently said, via Matt Kawahara of the Sacramento Bee.  “It’s been a long time for me to play football.  It’s what I was born to do.  God blessed me.  He gave me great talent, and I can finally use it again.  It’s been a long time.”

If nothing else, Pryor has matured.  He knows his role as (for now) the No. 3 man on the depth chart, and he’s focused on getting better.

“I’m fine with taking the third snaps right now,” Pryor said. “I’m perfecting what I need to perfect, and when [Carson Palmer is playing], I read his read like I’m in the practice with him.  It’s like I’m really taking 70 snaps, 80 snaps a practice.”

Though safety Mike Mitchell says the Pryor “runs like a deer,” he’s focused on using his feet to help him pass.

“If I’m on the run, I’d rather throw a touchdown than run for a touchdown,” Pryor said.  “If I have to run to get the first down, it depends on the situation.  I don’t mind doing that either.”

Though it will come mainly against defensive players who won’t have jobs in a month, it’ll be interesting to see what Pryor can do after more than 19 months away from live action.  For the new regime in Oakland, which didn’t draft him but not must figure out what to do with him, it’s more than interesting.

It’s imperative.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Terrelle Pryor gets his first football action in a long time tonight”
  1. joetoronto says: Aug 13, 2012 11:07 AM

How this kid got suspended 5 games while Pete Carroll got nothing just isn’t right.

Good luck, Terrelle.

2. steeler1nation says: Aug 13, 2012 11:13 AM

good luck to TP !
    I know he had a rough Summer, losing his mentor then his father — keep your head up & perservere, young man

3. tdk24 says: Aug 13, 2012 11:19 AM

I’m sure he’s rusty as hell, but i’m excited to watch him all preseason. He could be the future. I think he’ll fit in Knapps offense well, he just needs to get in there and start doing it.

4. kattykathy says: Aug 13, 2012 11:30 AM

3rd stringers don’t get paid very well. When will he start selling team equipment so him and his “homies” can “roll” properly?
    Has he gotten any free tattoos of the shield yet?
    Any free cars from the team’s favorite car dealership?

5. phillieseaglessixersflyers says: Aug 13, 2012 11:32 AM

I like stories like this, hope he proves he was worth the investment and shows how hard he supposedly has been working

6. 1historian says: Aug 13, 2012 11:38 AM

If he doesn’t get past Leinart soon that won’t say too much about him.

7. bengalsstillsuck says: Aug 13, 2012 11:42 AM

This kid is a joke. He tore down my buckeyes by being selfish and not being a good teammate. He needs to go play in Canada because there is no place for him in the NFL. Pluse he throws the ball like a loaf of bread he sucked at state an he will most definitely suck in the nfl

8. getthegleam says: Aug 13, 2012 11:46 AM

I like the fact that Terrelle sought out Rich Gannon for help during the off season. So far he’s done and said all the things necessary to remain on the right path. Here’s to hoping he has a good game tonight.

9. thraiderskin says: Aug 13, 2012 11:48 AM

I’m angry at the guy, not as angry as I was with Tressel, but I am excited to see what he can do. I went to the sugarbowl (that never happened) and when he took off, it was Vick’ish (I mean old school Vick). I hope he can succeed as a Quarterback, but running like a deer isn’t going to cut it in the NFL for long.

10. nflhof says: Aug 13, 2012 11:50 AM

He’s a cheater that’s why he got suspended.

11. Lev says: Aug 13, 2012 12:01 PM

Not a Raiders fan whatsoever, but I can NOT wait to see Pryor tonight!!!

Rumble young man Rumble!!!

12. mjbulls45 says: Aug 13, 2012 12:04 PM

T.P.

forgotten completely…

cam newton, RGIII, Andrew Luck, Dalton, Ryan Tann, etc….

watch this kid be the gem of all gems for young QBs…

give it a few years, T.P. is gonna be better then all of them ,

hes stronger, bigger, faster, better arm then all of them ,

yes even Cam Newt,

winning 5 games doesnt impress me, sorry ,

Mark Sanchez went to the AFC title game his first year,

but we dont give Sanchez props, but we give players who have good STATS but no significant WINS props,

what world are we living in ?

i dont care about stats, as long as the team is still playing in mid-January

13. dealer009 says: Aug 13, 2012 12:06 PM

Bring this kid along right and get him in the games as a wildcat and receiver. I think he should be the qb-sneaker on obvious sneak plays too.

He’s too athletic to keep off the field for a few years.

14. gripless says: Aug 13, 2012 12:17 PM

This guy sucks.

He will be out of the NFL in 2 years if you count the current year.

No arm, no brains, simpy a good runner who played in a conference where passing is not that crucial.

15. hokiegajanisgod says: Aug 13, 2012 12:35 PM

let’s see how he does first before throwing him under the bus?

Given his absurd “God blessed me. He gave me great talent, and I can finally use it again…” comment, he had better produce or its under the bus big-time.

16. gpatrick15 says: Aug 13, 2012 12:36 PM

Reall at this point is giving Pryor any snaps worse than Leinart being the backup and Palmer throwing Pick 6’s all year? I understand Palmer being the starter, since he was traded for a so much and he is technically the best they have, but I doubt Pryor has much trouble becoming the backup if he winds up staying at QB.

17. tinbender2000 says: Aug 13, 2012 12:37 PM

He didn’t cost the team much, nothing but upside. I’m rooting for him, don’t let yourself down and we’ll all be fine. Go Raiders

18. JSpicoli says: Aug 13, 2012 12:54 PM

It really has been a long time for the kid. I remember hoping he got a few snaps against SEA last PS game last year. He never got in.

Al Davis’ last draft pick. Let’s watch and see.

19. stairwayto7 says: Aug 13, 2012 12:55 PM

Hope this overrated,overhyped punked by knocked out! Pryor was a high school punk, college punk and now a 3rd stringer on the NFL!

20. raiderapologist says: Aug 13, 2012 2:17 PM

Knapp could probably put him to good use as a TE/H-back type, but if they keep him at QB he’ll never get the reps he needs to be any good in that role.

21. jjackwagon says: Aug 13, 2012 4:30 PM

TP will never be the starting QB in Oakland. Palmer will play just good enough that TP will eventually get traded to a team that needs a QB (I can think of about five) and only then will he become an elite player.

But as long as he is in Oakland, he is going nowhere, like the rest of the Raiders.

Last place, baby!