Chad Johnson’s wife files for divorce

ocho-lozada-1 Getty Images

If you had 41 days in the “How long will Chad Johnson’s marriage last?” pool, congratulations.

According to the Associated Press, Evelyn Lozada filed for divorce on Tuesday from free-agent receiver Chad Johnson.  They were married on July 4.

Lozada also issued a statement saying that Johnson “needs help.”  She also said that Johnson lied to police when he claimed that Lozada head-butted him, not vice-versa.

The head butt, regardless of who initiated it, caused a gash approximately three inches in length on Lozada’s forehead.  Johnson faces assault charges.

That may be all we say about Chad, at least for the immediate future.  He’s not relevant to the NFL until he’s back in it.

Then again, the manner in which he exited the Dolphins will have echoes and ripples that need to be considered.  Especially if/when he ever says anything publicly about the arrest.

The fact that he’s been completely silent for three days perhaps remains the most fascinating aspect of the situation.

UPDATE 5:20 p.m. ET:  And, of course, Chad has now broken his silence.

Permalink 40 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
40 Responses to “Chad Johnson’s wife files for divorce”
  1. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Aug 14, 2012 5:11 PM

These people live in a different world than most of us and they should be pitied.

2. norseyapper says: Aug 14, 2012 5:11 PM

Boy, talk about your bad week!

Who’d a thought that Chad’s Johson would get him into more trouble than his mouth could?

3. teamocil19 says: Aug 14, 2012 5:12 PM

You must have missed the statement Chad Johnson made earlier today on his website:

I would like to apologize to everyone for the recent events that have occurred. I would like to wish Evelyn well and will never say anything bad about her because I truly love her to death. I will continue to be positive and train hard for another opportunity in the NFL. To all the fans and supporters I have disappointed, you have my sincerest apologies. I will stay positive and get through this tough period in my life.

4. khuxford says: Aug 14, 2012 5:16 PM

“The head butt, regardless of who initiated it, caused a gash approximately three inches in length on Lozada’s forehead.”

Your a lawyer. There’s no excuse for you to not realize that even that contention is only alleged at this time. All we know is that there IS a gash, not what actually caused it.

5. RockChalkMike says: Aug 14, 2012 5:16 PM

I realize this isn’t incredibly important, but was there a prenup?

6. hugejazz says: Aug 14, 2012 5:16 PM

Can we PLEASE have an end to Eight Five?

PLEASE ????

7. joshsports6000 says: Aug 14, 2012 5:16 PM

Crud! I was thinking AT LEAST 47 days, possibly even 48. Now I have to pay for dinner for my coworkers.

8. sfnightwriter says: Aug 14, 2012 5:17 PM

This guy had a rough week. And I thought my week of “no cheese on sandwiches” was gonna be tough.

9. barneyrumble says: Aug 14, 2012 5:19 PM

First one to file for divorce wins.

10. k4aic says: Aug 14, 2012 5:20 PM

LOL Florio he just released a statement via OCNN.

11. onderin says: Aug 14, 2012 5:20 PM

Please please please tell me you had a prenup arranged Chad.

Regardless of what happened, we all know that she is going to try and suck him dry of all his finances.

12. vtopa says: Aug 14, 2012 5:21 PM

She’s hot….

just sayin’

13. raiderrawnes says: Aug 14, 2012 5:21 PM

File that one under “SHOCKER”.

14. stuartscottslefteye says: Aug 14, 2012 5:44 PM

Being arrested and being cut – might actually be worth it for 41 days of spooning with that….

15. mjfan4life23 says: Aug 14, 2012 5:47 PM

I miss the good ole days when married couples worked out their problems

16. mblaketexanfan says: Aug 14, 2012 5:52 PM

That’s all you’ll say about Chad Johnson since he is no longer relevant? Really? Have you not read all your T.O. posts before he signed with Seattle? Including the pro workout before a whopping zero scouts? That was relevant how?

If you had 3 days as how long it would take PFT to post another Chad Johnson blog, congratulations. Oh wait, it was 3 hours after this one.

17. wheresmyjuice says: Aug 14, 2012 5:57 PM

I guess standing by your man in sickness and in health doesn’t include when he “needs help”.

18. phillyphever says: Aug 14, 2012 6:00 PM

Who knew the Kardashian marriage would last longer than this.

19. cruuuzcontrol says: Aug 14, 2012 6:01 PM

Add “relationships forged over Twitter” just below “relationships forged under the influence of alcohol” on the list of “Things That Are Doomed to Fail”

20. jimmysee says: Aug 14, 2012 6:02 PM

So this marriage actually lasted a shorter time than Kim Kardashian and that basketball dude.

21. slugbaitspace says: Aug 14, 2012 6:12 PM

Darn…just one more week, and their marriage would have lasted longer than the Microsoft KIN phone.

22. chipwade says: Aug 14, 2012 6:21 PM

I don’t get it. The NFL is a business and the players are the employees. Why is it that if a regular employee outside of the NFL were to do something along these same lines that their employer would not become aware of it until the legal process had completed. But professional athletes have the downfall of media outlets such as PFT, TMZ, etc. to bring these matters to light which allow the teams and leagues to take immediate action. Punishing players and/or terminating their employment before due legal process? If a regular person were charged with DUI they would not have to report it immediately to their employer.

Regular businesses and employees adhere to strict legal guidelines when it comes to these types of actions. If Chad Johnson were a regular employee at a regular company, he most likely would not be fired right away. His company would have no knowledge of the matter until the court reached a verdict. What allows professional sports entities to act differently than regular companies???

23. blackandbluedivision says: Aug 14, 2012 6:21 PM

So she’ll be on the “Basketball Wives” as a ex-fiancee of a basketball player and now as a ex-wife of a football player. Yet and still (like she was before) she won’t be a basketball wife and never was.

24. blackandbluedivision says: Aug 14, 2012 6:23 PM

Once the money went…it was only a matter of time.

25. skinsfan91 says: Aug 14, 2012 6:25 PM

The marriage was a sham to begin with and Johnson headbutting her was his subconscious getting him out of the situation. It also got him out of a job.

26. tdurdenlives says: Aug 14, 2012 6:25 PM

mblaketexanfan says:
    Aug 14, 2012 5:52 PM

And how many “will Brett Favre return or won’t he” posts were there?

We love you, Florio, but don’t make promises you can’t keep. We all know you’ll be speculating about what teams will contact his agent before the week is over.

27. illiniftw says: Aug 14, 2012 6:29 PM

If people have been married multiple years and either the man or wife is the “stay at home” one that does all the housework, etc then I can see how an argument can be made that they deserve money from the divorce, but a marriage that lasts under 2 months?? Split up whatever they bought together and after that she/he doesn’t deserve a damn thing!

28. billh1947 says: Aug 14, 2012 6:53 PM

Did this woman see anything but dollar signs the day she said I do? she had to know her husband to be was a major head case and ego maniac who would never settle down to the boring life of a devoted husband,she had to also know that she was just one of many pieces off tail Chad was involved with but she probably figured she was the best since he asked her to be his wife and not the others.she now knows the real world of Chad and couldnt take it.

29. wwdnd says: Aug 14, 2012 6:58 PM

Is it just me or does a three inch gash sound a lot more like a wound inflicted by a hard surface/corner than by someone’s skull?

30. scandinaviansausage1974 says: Aug 14, 2012 7:05 PM

attn chipwade:

You should check around on your assertion that “regular people at regular jobs” don’t have to report anything to their employers until after conviction.

A great many of us have a “morals clause” in our employment contracts.
    For example, I don’t even need to be charged with a crime:
    If I have any “meaningful contact” with law enforcement beyond a “minor” traffic violation without giving full disclosure to my employer, it’s grounds for “discipline up to & including termination”.
    BTW in case it’s relevant, I gross a big fat $35K per year before overtime. I do however have pretty awesome benefits & retirement, & cannot be layed off for any reason.

31. bennyb82 says: Aug 14, 2012 7:19 PM

Although Chad lost his job and wife, I think an early end to this marriage will save him a lot of money in the long run. This is assuming that she gets nothing from the divorce which is what should happen given the brief period of time they were married.

32. rollerino1 says: Aug 14, 2012 7:32 PM

Imagine that…….

33. chi01town says: Aug 14, 2012 7:39 PM

She’s the stupid one cause 40 days aint enough time together to get MONEY from Chad an he will play football this season. all she want is Money but she aint smart enough to get it

34. proudliberal85392 says: Aug 14, 2012 9:01 PM

And they said it wouldn’t last.

35. prplpuzzetrz says: Aug 14, 2012 10:09 PM

In most states , a marriage only lasting 40 days WILL NOT , reward her. Under no circumstances will she get 1/2 of his $$ ! Simple as that!
    Now, he may end up writing her a check in an agreement to drop the charges against him, either way, this situation has already cost him a lot of $$, via salary, endorsements, and television.
    I , however, still stand behind 85 100%….. He may have assaulted her in some way, but she is absolutely doing a great job @ doing her role in this too!
    Filing for divorce 3 days after an incident , only shows the character of a women who is , in my estimation as ” fukd up as he is”…..
    I have made plenty of mistakes in my life, none of them involving assault (to a women) but, I am of the cloth that you forgive & I sure hope things end well for him! This is a brutal week, and I hope he is doing ok!

36. eviltwin007 says: Aug 14, 2012 10:12 PM

Now I ain’t sayin she a golddigger….but she ain’t messin’ with no brokey broke!!! ( Yes I know the lyrics…just trying to keep it clean)

37. dbones750 says: Aug 14, 2012 10:19 PM

Does she have to go through waivers before other players can date her?

38. michiganhockey11 says: Aug 15, 2012 10:38 AM

So was Kim K married longer than him?

Headbutting is an art. If you don’t know what you are doing, you can easily hurt yourself more than your intended target. It’s all in the hips….at least it was in the movie ‘Father’s Day” with Robin Williams and Billy Crystal.

39. swingondeesenuts says: Aug 15, 2012 12:21 PM

I ani’t saying she’s a gold digger, but she ani’t messing with no broke……

Why do these fools get involved with these groupies and then wonder why they end up broke and in jail? I hope Chad has been saving his cash because he’ll NEVER work in football again and now that he is known as a woman beater, he won’t be getting any reality TV money either.

40. chad99999 says: Aug 17, 2012 5:43 PM

So Mike Florio thinks it’s hilarious that a man loses his job, his endorsements and his marriage (albeit to a worthless woman). The disrespect that oozes out of these sportswriters for athletes who are not like them is as obvious as it is disgusting.
    When you face your own cross in life, Mike, we’ll be laughing.