Giants players go to the mattresses over back issues

Participants attempting to set a Guinnes Getty Images

One of the dangers for the teams which still go away to training camp is listening to players gripe about sleeping in unfamiliar beds.

The Giants have taken it a step further, blaming the mattresses at the UAlbany for creating a wave of back injuries.

“Everybody’s been complaining about their back because the beds in the dorms are fairly hard,” defensive tackle Linval Joseph told Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger (who deserves a hats-off for making the appropriate Godfather reference, which I shamelessly ripped off for a headline). “My back’s been hurting, too. Like I said, I think it’s just the bed.”

Asked directly if he thinks the mattresses are the cause of all the injuries, Joseph said: “Yes, I really do.”

Marvin Austin was taken back to New York to get his back checked out, while fellow defensive tackle Martin Parker needs surgery for a herniated disc (which can’t possibly be blamed on a bed he sleeps in for three weeks). Also, offensive tackles Will Beatty and James Brewer have been limited in practice with back tightness.

Tight end Martellus Bennett brought it up as well, when asked about being ready to break camp.

“We’re big humans. Every bed is small,” Bennett said. “You can’t put a damn dinosaur in a twin-sized bed. . . . A normal-sized human jumps into a regular-sized bed and it fits perfectly. Large, big humans jump in a regular-sized bed, the bed’s too small.

“My back doesn’t hurt. My back feels great. I have a great back.”

He might, but enough Giants don’t that it’s worth re-thinking the sleeping conditions for next year. So if there’s a furniture store in Albany that specializes in dinosaur-sized mattresses, Giants GM Jerry Reese will be awaiting your call.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Giants players go to the mattresses over back issues”
  1. gadgetdawg says: Aug 14, 2012 1:25 PM

How much does a mattress cost? Are the players and or management too poor to buy some? Someone please buy these folks something soft to sleep on. This sounds like whining for whinings sake.

2. hulkhogansays says: Aug 14, 2012 1:29 PM

They are rolling around having nightmares of the sweep RGIII and the Redskins will hand them brother.

3. Davo says: Aug 14, 2012 1:42 PM

I don’t know…I mean, countless thousands of students manage to hook up in the same twin-sized beds, and you don’t see them skipping classes because of bad backs, do you?

C’mon guys!

4. dallassux says: Aug 14, 2012 1:44 PM

Let me guess. Osi was one of the complainers.

5. antalicus says: Aug 14, 2012 1:47 PM

If i got paid what they did the first thing i would have done it bought myself a new bed for the dorm. They can do that can’t they?

There is truth to their statement. I have a decent king size bed and whenever i go on a trip or sleep in an unfamiliar bed i wake up feeling like crap which has a lot to do with you having to move around a lot to try to find a better sleeping position. Things are no longer designed for the average person as the average person has grown.

6. floriosfuglykid says: Aug 14, 2012 2:08 PM

Is there no NFC East article that this hulkhogan fool won’t post in?

The Skins are an old line NFL team with a storied and venerable history. 3 Superbowl trophies. And this clown is an embarrassment to all that.

7. hooahitsnotatomthing says: Aug 14, 2012 2:21 PM

You would think with all the money management and the players make you can shell out a couple thousand for a Temperpedic matress.
    They are in the business of taking care of their bodies. It should be a number one priority. I spent five years in the military and when i got the chance, I bought one. Best investment I made in a while.

8. bpfpft says: Aug 14, 2012 2:30 PM

When did football players become baseball players?

9. huskersrock1 says: Aug 14, 2012 2:30 PM

They are making hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars per year, bring your own mattress and protect your money maker, otherwise shut up.

10. eagles83 says: Aug 14, 2012 2:54 PM

Awww you can’t sleep on your Posture-Pedic sleep number mattress?

11. schmitty2 says: Aug 14, 2012 2:56 PM

floriosfuglykid says:Aug 14, 2012 2:08 PM

Is there no NFC East article that this hulkhogan fool won’t post in?

Notice how they post every comment that Hulk troll posts but censor people that might actually have a relevent comment? Pretty suspicious

12. ashevillechief says: Aug 15, 2012 7:57 AM

As a person with a bad back, a bed makes a HUGE difference. Sure, a bed won’t cause a herniated disk, but it will tighten up the muscles. Which creates a situation that can more easily lead to back issues.