Doctor says Brian Urlacher’s return in 2-3 weeks is feasible

Brian Urlacher AP

So far, football players and football coaches have declared that Brian Urlacher will be fine for the regular season opener, despite knee problems that required another surgery Tuesday.

Now, a doctor is chiming in, saying a two-to-three-week return is feasible for the Bears linebacker.

Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times talked to Dr. Ralph Gambardella, an orthopedic surgeon at the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic in Los Angeles who works with the Dodgers and Southern Cal. He didn’t do Urlacher’s surgery (Bears team doctors did), but knows of which he speaks.

It’s certainly possible that you may see him back in two to three weeks,” Gambardella said. “But it might take longer because you’ll have the same issue if he goes back and it swells again.

“Then the surgery didn’t work.”

Urlacher’s been through ups and downs since spraining his MCL and PCL in last year’s finale, and was held out for a week before Tuesday’s clean-up surgery.

The linebacker hasn’t talked since the procedure, but teammates are clearly growing weary of the discussion.

“I don’t know, man,’’ cornerback Charles Tillman said. ‘‘The dude is going to be there. I said it like 32 times, but I’ll say it 33 times: He’s going to be there. The dude is going to be cool. There is no concern. The dude is going to be cool — quote me.

“What did he tell you? Did he tell you he’s going to be good? What did coach [Lovie] Smith tell you all? Smith said he’s going to be good. The man said he’s going to be good, right? So he’s going to be good.’’

Tillman better hope so. Because the Bears without Urlacher are a different team, and while they might be good, it’ll be much harder for them to be much more than that.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Doctor says Brian Urlacher’s return in 2-3 weeks is feasible”
  1. hulkhogansays says: Aug 15, 2012 10:10 AM

I’m not buying it brother. I’d say he should step down from the game but I get the feeling that he wouldn’t know what to do.

2. pkrjones says: Aug 15, 2012 10:16 AM

“…despite knee problems that required another surgery Tuesday.”
    I’m pretty sure he stated after the surgery that this was the first knee procedure he’s ever had. Not the first vet to miss TC and be ready to play game 1… nothing to see, move along.

3. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Aug 15, 2012 10:53 AM

No matter when he returns, he isn’t going to be very good.

4. purpleguy says: Aug 15, 2012 11:01 AM

Wish he’d stop wearing that Gilligan hat.

5. chi01town says: Aug 15, 2012 11:01 AM

NAW… Im angry because Im ready to see Chicago win the Superbowl….NOW. Urlacher is a piece of that an he didnt do the surgery after the Minnesota game last season. This is somebodys falt .. Urlacher.. Lovie.. Team doctors. The surgery was needed then an Dont blame Emery cause he was building a championship football team an under him the bears will WIN THE SUPERBOWL

6. phuriousjorge says: Aug 15, 2012 12:16 PM

I was back after my first scope in three weeks. I was 22 though.

7. cbs1971 says: Aug 15, 2012 12:25 PM

I have a feeling that he is going to mess up that knee really bad and it’s going to be felt when he’s older.

8. hooahitsnotatomthing says: Aug 15, 2012 12:30 PM

1.) Two to three weeks isn’t likely seeing he is an older player.

2.) Screw playing the Colts. Yes, Andrew Luck looked good, but I doubt he has a good day week one. Sit Urlacher that game so he can be ready for the Packers on the next Thursday night game. If his knee does swell during the Colts game, no way he will be in Thursday night. Make him skip the game and play the Packers!

3.) The best thing the Bears have to counter Urlachers absence is the new WRs. The Bears should be able to put up 23+ points a game.

Bear Down!

9. beefbus says: Aug 15, 2012 1:17 PM

The same posters who claim that he should retire, are the same people who are afraid of him returning to his usual form. You can wish it as much as you want, he’s not hanging up his cleets. A scope isn’t nearly career threatening, and won’t prevent him from playing at a high level this season.

10. theclaymaker52 says: Aug 15, 2012 1:22 PM

Urlacher needs to think about retirement.

11. superchunks says: Aug 15, 2012 2:49 PM

I agree with pkrjones. This is the first knee surgery that I have heard that Urlacher has had. It might be a good idea to correct this story. In regard to retirement, I see no reason why Urlacher would think about this yet considering his performance over the past few years.

12. gmsingh says: Aug 15, 2012 6:03 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:
    Aug 15, 2012 10:53 AM
    No matter when he returns, he isn’t going to be very good.

Did you say the same about Peyton Manning?

13. zo121179 says: Aug 15, 2012 6:08 PM

Urlacher will play sometime in the first 3 weeks of the season. The O-Line on the other hand might be absent for pretty much the year.