Former No. 2 overall pick working with second team in St. Louis

St. Louis Rams 2011 Headshots AP

The Rams signed Barry Richardson in May, just to add a little depth.

Now, he could be replacing a former No. 2 overall pick.

Richardson’s working with the Rams’ first offensive line at right tackle, in the place of Jason Smith, the second pick of the 2009 Draft.

I’m a little surprised,” Richardson said to Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Most would be.

Even though Smith hasn’t played since suffering a concussion last October, it’s a swift fall for a guy picked so high, so recently. Richardson passed him last week, started the preseason opener and was back with the ones in practice this week.

“Any time you create a competitive situation, you want to be able to evaluate it fairly,” coach Jeff Fisher said. “Hopefully, we’ll be able to make a decision before too long.”

Smith’s already taken a huge pay cut to stay, and his current status would make his future beyond this season a no-brainer. But sometimes coaches just try to light fires under players, especially ones they don’t know and didn’t draft.

Smith seems like he understands the situation, and how close he is to joining the scrap heap of history. He said he was grateful to be back on the field after being carted off in Dallas last fall, and sounded like a man taking the appropriate steps.

“For me, there’s still some things I’m working out to get better at,” Smith said. “At the end of the day, I want to be where I’m supposed to be. I don’t want to be a guy that’s on the field not knowing where to go or not having the right technique.

“And everything that’s happened to me as far as — I think the word is being demoted. Is demoted the word I’m looking for? Demoted to the ‘2s,’ or not working with the starters. I mean, that’s great. I need to earn the job. I need to be accountable when I’m on the field, in the huddle.”

If not, he’ll be elsewhere in 2013, if not sooner.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
16 Responses to “Former No. 2 overall pick working with second team in St. Louis”
  1. lks311 says: Aug 15, 2012 2:30 PM

To think, there was a debate as to whether Aaron Curry, Jason Smith or Matthew Stafford should go first.

2. yelix says: Aug 15, 2012 2:45 PM

Wow. You have to be REALLY bad to get benched in favor of Barry Richardson.

3. surferbum01 says: Aug 15, 2012 3:01 PM

Am I the only one who has no clue who this guy was/is and he was a #2 overall pic??! Wow. Epic bad.

4. smh35 says: Aug 15, 2012 3:04 PM

How are they just now reporting this? Richardson started the last game ahead of Smith on the depth chart. This is old news.

5. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 15, 2012 3:10 PM

Swift fall? Aaron Curry’s fall was even swifter. What a garbage bust.

6. njbucsfan says: Aug 15, 2012 3:14 PM

Since selecting Pace the rams have horrible OL picks in the first round…Alex Barron haha

7. zingo1978 says: Aug 15, 2012 3:22 PM

As a Lions fan, I vividly remember those on the local news sites (freep.com, mlive.com, detroitnews.com) begging to secure the offensive line with Jason Smith before selecting a franchise QB.

The common thought was you could get the starting QB in the 2nd or 3rd round.

8. t16rich says: Aug 15, 2012 3:23 PM

Who even wants to pick in the top 5 or 10 anymore? Trade back and get a ton of picks instead of taking flyers on kids who tend to never meet their full potential.

9. gmen1987 says: Aug 15, 2012 3:26 PM

10. schmitty2 says: Aug 15, 2012 3:31 PM

With Barry Richardson or Smith at RT..it’s not the blindside Bradford will have to worry about

11. essentialsausage says: Aug 15, 2012 3:43 PM

“Remember when Detroit Lion fans and media members wanted this guy or Aaron Curry over Stafford? Proof that most fans and media members are total idiots.”
    ——————————————————–
    YES, I had to keep convincing my idiot Lions fan friends that Aaron Curry and Jason Smith were going to suck. Actually, I didn’t think Smith was going to suck so bad, I just didn’t think he was any good compared to Stafford. Curry I definitely figured would bust.

12. buffalobills2012 says: Aug 15, 2012 3:44 PM

Mike Williams (Bills) is pumped about this…..

13. EJ says: Aug 15, 2012 4:11 PM

I can’t believe how bad the scouts missed out on Smith. He was being called, “NFL Ready” and “A sure pick”. What a bad call that was, either that or somebody got paid to push good words about Jason Smith across the NFL’s scouts.

14. rayguyreturns says: Aug 15, 2012 4:12 PM

All top draft picks are a crap shoot. Everyone of them is an unknown pro commodity. The surest bet was probably Peyton Manning. Ryan Leaf was too. Proves my point.

Give me a 2-3 year proven vet any day.

15. jbholcom says: Aug 15, 2012 4:30 PM

Richardson was the worst RT in the history of the KC Chiefs. Chiefs fans are glad to see him move on. Now Richardson goes to St. Louis and passes Smith on the depth card! Bradford is in for a long year.

16. jaxbeachjagfan says: Aug 15, 2012 9:27 PM

Eugene Monroe just chuckled.