Russell Wilson thinks he’s moving closer to the starting job

Russell Wilson,  J.R. Sweezy,  Mike Martin AP

Tarvaris Jackson may be frustrated by the Seahawks’ quarterback competition, but Russell Wilson is enjoying it.

Wilson, who is backing up Matt Flynn during the preseason while Jackson watches from the sideline, said on KJR in Seattle that he thinks he’s getting better as a quarterback — and getting closer to being a starting quarterback.

I definitely believe I’ve moved closer,” Wilson said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “You take one step at a time, one day at a time, one rep at a time and you just improve. You respect the process and that’s the biggest thing is just respecting the process and taking one day at a time and just learning as much as I can. I’m on a constant quest for knowledge and just trying to gain as much knowledge as I can so when I do get that opportunity I just keep growing. I know there’s going to be ups and downs, it’s a process like I said, and always in a process there’s ups and downs but as long as I keep moving forward, that’s the key.”

Wilson probably won’t be able to beat out Flynn for the starting job, but he looked good in the preseason opener, and he’s right to think he took a step toward proving that he can be an NFL starter. The Seahawks have to like what they’re seeing from Wilson.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
48 Responses to “Russell Wilson thinks he’s moving closer to the starting job”
  1. hulkhogansays says: Aug 15, 2012 2:02 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again brother. RGIII and Wilson will be the two successful QBs from the last draft. RGII of course, much more successful brother.

2. sj39 says: Aug 15, 2012 2:04 PM

I’m hoping he wins the starting job. Too short to see over the line, have to boot him to the outside where the little guy can meet Mr. Long or Mr. Quinn.

3. ctattles says: Aug 15, 2012 2:08 PM

Loads of upside.

Big risk.

4. ctiggs says: Aug 15, 2012 2:09 PM

Let me guess “Hulkhogansays” RG3 will be amazing brother, the league better watch out for the skins in the NFC west brother. wilson will eventually start over flynn, brother, brother brother.

5. beckzhere says: Aug 15, 2012 2:11 PM

I think between Flynn and Wilson, Seattle has some solid stability at QB for years to come.

6. basexc9 says: Aug 15, 2012 2:12 PM

I’m sure he means growing figuratively, not literally

7. truebuffalo says: Aug 15, 2012 2:12 PM

I really wanted the bills to draft this kid, despite the knock him I think hes going to b the real deal.
    From a Bills fan I really wanna watch this kid be the started and succeed for years.

8. thekiller678 says: Aug 15, 2012 2:15 PM

I would HATE to see this guy go to waste. But it’s not like the Hawks can bench Flynn after giving him that contract. Tough situation

9. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 15, 2012 2:19 PM

Great job by Wilson. Came in prepared during OTAs, showed he’s serious about his desire to start. Even if Flynn starts you can be sure Wilson will always be giving it 100% behind the scenes improving himself.

10. mrplow3 says: Aug 15, 2012 2:19 PM

So Flynn has 1 great game last year in a meaningless game for Green Bay and suddenly he’s locked in as a starter now?

Wilson is the future in Seattle. It’s only a matter of time.

11. chazzmon says: Aug 15, 2012 2:22 PM

Love the confidence! Still think they’ll give the starting job to Flynn and it’s probably his job to lose.

12. dariusmyles says: Aug 15, 2012 2:25 PM

Yea he’s too short. So were drew Brees and Doug flutie….

13. TeamBalco says: Aug 15, 2012 2:25 PM

This dude can play ball. He’s got a strong and accurate arm, he manipulates the pocket well, in time hell start for the Seahawks.

14. norcalmafia says: Aug 15, 2012 2:31 PM

Get ready for the pain Northwest lames!

15. castleofcheese says: Aug 15, 2012 2:32 PM

Being from Wisconsin, it’s hard to decide who I want to win this QB competition. Both guys have great attitudes and work ethic. Wilson might have the edge in pure talent… It’ll be interesting to see how it plays out.

16. hoops737 says: Aug 15, 2012 2:32 PM

Teams signs free agent QB to multi-million dollar deal

Wilson: “Yeah I think I can start”

How naive can you be? lmao

17. cervetta12 says: Aug 15, 2012 2:43 PM

To the fake hulkhogan who keeps posting on here and all other football clips on this site ending all his sentences with “Brother” just shut up already, you were never as good as Ultimate Warrior anyways lol loser

18. dennisatunity says: Aug 15, 2012 2:44 PM

Isn’t it amazing how quickly he has moved from being a “reach of a draft pick” to someone that several sports writers and GMs think is a potential starter. I’m glad he sees it, too. Maybe Pete Carroll and John Schneider actually know what they’re doing!

19. ebrownwareagle says: Aug 15, 2012 2:45 PM

Love Russ Wilson. Wish he would have came to Auburn to finish his college career out. We would have possibly won it again. He will be good for years to come.

20. bigblu73 says: Aug 15, 2012 2:48 PM

I only saw the highlights but the kid looked poised and not overwhelmed by the speed of the game. Much like he did at Wisconsin! I hope for his sake that it is not already a foregone conclusion that Flynn is the starter. Never should a backup be considered a lock as the starter, ie: Cardinals/k.Kolb

21. kylexitron says: Aug 15, 2012 2:56 PM

from tarvaris and dr. charles whitehorse to Flynn and Wilson; definitely an improvement for the hawks QB situation over last offseason.

22. qdog112 says: Aug 15, 2012 3:04 PM

Flynn has at best, 6 quarters of preseason ball to prove himself. I’m convinced he’ll win the job only if he is the best guy for it.

The guaranteed money can be looked at as the cost of doing business. The problem is about egos more than money. The GM, coach or whoever is responsible for hiring Flynn, has to save face by playing him, but if Wilson widens the gap so much that it’s obvious to even casual fans, that he’s the guy – they have to start Wilson – bonus be damned.

The Hawks have a chance to win the West and go deep into the playoffs with an average offense. (the defense looks hot) They won’t let a few million get in the way of that potential success.

23. hulkhogansays says: Aug 15, 2012 3:05 PM

I’d venture to say Wilson is the best QB in the NFC West brother…
    1. Wilson
    2. Bradford
    3. Skelton
    4. Flynn
    5. Kapernick
    6. Kolb
    7. Alex Smith

24. howiehandles says: Aug 15, 2012 3:10 PM

One preseason game, let’s make him the starter, that makes sense. Flynn only did it in the NFL, while Wilson rolled against Northwestern, um okay, Indiana, hmmmm, Iowa!

25. allascowboys says: Aug 15, 2012 3:13 PM

Teams better not sleep on the hawks this year. Seattle should have a solid team, and might go deep in playoffs. Farther than my banged up Cowboys :(

26. geddyn says: Aug 15, 2012 3:15 PM

How long until the Cardinals trade for him?

27. chris6523 says: Aug 15, 2012 3:17 PM

I watched a lot of Russell Wilson last year and I think he is talented enough to be a good, not great quarterback in the NFL. The mental part of the game is easy for him. The vast majority site his lack of height as the biggest concern. Wisconsin offensive linemen aren’t exactly known for being tiny and it didn’t seem to be a hinderance. The biggest concern I would have with Russell is his arm strength. He throws the short and intermediate throws well. As far as the deeper passes (35 yards downfield+), it seems he needs to put more arc on the ball than the typical pro QB.

28. jgedgar70 says: Aug 15, 2012 3:20 PM

hulkhogansays says:
    Aug 15, 2012 2:02 PM
    _____
    Now why would you bring up Bob Griffin in a post about Russel Wilson brother? You need to go over to the Redskins page brother.

Now, on to more important matters… I love how scouts and GMs have certain numbers attached to various positions, and if you don’t match those numbers for that position, then, by gawd, you cannot play in the NFL. One such number for QBs is 6. If you are not more than 6 feet tall, then, by gawd, you cannot play in the NFL. That’s what the book says. We must ALWAYS go by what the book says. According to what the book says, Russell Wilson cannot, by gawd, play in the NFL because he’s too short.

Whatever. Here in ACC country we got to see a lot of him. He doesn’t meet The Book’s requirement for height, but I don’t doubt he will make a nice career for himself. He should start right away. I have a queasy feeling in my gizzard that Matt Flynn might be the second coming of Scott Mitchell or Rob Johnson. It’s a big risk throwing all that money at a guy that has played all of 2 real games.

29. pmars64 says: Aug 15, 2012 3:29 PM

Wilson will never be anything more than a spotty quarterback who might have some good games, but will definitely have some bad ones. He’s just too short. He’s a full inch and a half shorter than Brees. He’s going to need some creative play design to consistently get good looks downfield. The Saints already have to do this for Brees and he consistently leads the league in batted down passes. Wilson is a long shot at best.

The Carroll/Schneider leadership have done well to build a good D, but building a good offense still eludes them. In Year 3, they’re going to rely on a guy with only 2 NFL starts or a rookie who is too short at QB. They’re going with the wheelchair crowd at WR. And James Carpenter? Enough said there. This is simply not good personnel decision-making or management on the offensive side of the ball. I wouldn’t be surprised if Carroll is looking for Schneider’s replacement this fall.

30. hawkforlife says: Aug 15, 2012 3:42 PM

The headline should have read, “close to A starting job.”

The kid has class, he didn’t classify himself as ready right now or this year.

31. theboysofdallas says: Aug 15, 2012 3:42 PM

Take it easy Russell, not there yet

32. trollhammer20 says: Aug 15, 2012 3:52 PM

The dude moves better than any QB not named Vick or Newton. He has a future in this league. Either he’ll take over for Flynn if Flynn turns out to be medio-crappy (or is injured), or Seattle will get a very nice pick or two – almost assuredly higher than the third they spent – for him from some other team.

Oh, yeah, and I’d fully expect to see some “Wildcat” plays made up to take advantage of his mobility and arm strength. Just because he’s (probably) not a starter doesn’t mean he won’t make an impact this year.

33. EJ says: Aug 15, 2012 4:00 PM

The other 31 teams made a mistake passing on Wilson. He has the potential to become a real force in the league, especially if he has time to mature and isn’t just shoved right out there. In my eyes he was the third best QB from this years draft, hands down. I wish Buffalo would have done the deed and picked him up, he is going to be special.

34. sugarsanta says: Aug 15, 2012 4:11 PM

I wish teams draft more guys who actually perform great on the field instead of look great in the combine and weight room. Seems being a GM is pretty simple.

Browns, Cardinals, 49ers, Ravens, no excuse not drafting this guy

35. ezwriter69 says: Aug 15, 2012 4:19 PM

The INT in the end zone he threw was weak as it gets.

36. ppc50 says: Aug 15, 2012 4:31 PM

Great draft pick, high character, leader,and a player. I bet AZ is regretting not drafting him.

37. billsfan1 says: Aug 15, 2012 4:36 PM

i just wonder why redskins fans need to interject RG3 in every damn post.
    Redskins fans are so dilussional each and every year. I remember last year reading posts about how good Grossman was… hahahahahhaa!!!!
    who the hell is gonna run the ball or catch it? Moss is past his prime and Garcon ? really?
    hell Donald Jones could have caught 188 passes over 4 years with 16 td’s playing opposite wayne and with Dallas Clark running underneath routes.

38. seattlereign says: Aug 15, 2012 4:50 PM

If Seattle’s Defense can live up to the hype of them being a top 5 defense we don’t need Flynn or Wilson to be world beaters. The simple fact is both of them are an upgrade to that position which was desperately needed. If we can put 17-21+ points on the board each week Seattle is going to win a lot of games. I still think it’s the 49′ers division to lose but don’t sleep on the Seahawks.

39. brooklynniner19 says: Aug 15, 2012 4:55 PM

No son, your closer to getting your bell rung when you go against Patrick “Hit Man” Willis & CO. ;)

40. raideralex99 says: Aug 15, 2012 4:57 PM

Wow Wilson HOF already … What happen to Andrew Luck ?

41. youaredelusional says: Aug 15, 2012 5:40 PM

Standing at under 5’11, Wilson is going to have a hard time seeing over even marshawn lynch, much less the Oline. And for those that bring up Brees…please, Brees is one in a million. Doug Flutie maybe. With all that said, I’m still rooting for the guy.

42. youaredelusional says: Aug 15, 2012 5:47 PM

seattlereign says:
    Aug 15, 2012 4:50 PM

——————————–

I couldn’t agree more. What makes SEA interesting is that they are made up very similarly to SF last year. Good D and solid run game. I would say SEA has the better secondary. SF has the better front 7. As much as I don’t like Pete Carroll, I think he is doing well building for the future. And it’s not like SEA is asking Flynn or Wilson to go out and win games…

43. brenenostler says: Aug 15, 2012 6:05 PM

hulkhogansays says:
    Aug 15, 2012 2:02 PM
    ________________________

You ever heard of Andrew Luck?

The NFL today is built for pocket passers, not runners. The last six QBs to win the Super Bowl are Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Big Ben, and the two Mannings. That’s why Luck will be the most successful.

Wilson is a great story, but this underdog story of his is actually making him very overrated. If he was really THAT good, he would’ve been drafted in the first round.

44. sportfreak1996 says: Aug 15, 2012 6:39 PM

Before we anoint this guy the new messiah, please remember he’s had 1 quarter of NFL football in the 2nd half of a preseason game against a team with a rather suspect starting defense — and he was playing against the Titans’ 2nd and 3rd stringers.

I like Wilson, but I think Flynn’s gonna be the starter all year with Wilson pushing him seriously for the gig in ’13.

45. true9erfan66 says: Aug 15, 2012 7:11 PM

Wow hulkhogansays I can’t imagine what kind of hard core drugs you are on RG3 is nothing more than Vick 2.0 he might have amazing games but he will always be run first qb and won’t make it though a whole season. Plus you think luck won’t be anything lol gotta be the drugs. Also redskins are still gonna be 4th or 3rd in division so really stop makeing yourself out to be an idiot I have read your other posts about Super Bowl bound haha. They would have to get though the 9ers which isn’t gonna happen cause J.Smith second in defensive MVP will break Griffith oh wait man so will are 2 all pro linebacker bowman or Willis that is of course he isn’t on his back all game from A. Smith puts in there so just stop. I also don’t want to hear a cam Newton comparison because Cam is lots bigger and stronger and can handle a hit

46. musicman495 says: Aug 15, 2012 7:34 PM

dariusmyles says: Aug 15, 2012 2:25 PM

Yea he’s too short. So were drew Brees and Doug flutie….
    ————————–
    Please do not group those two together – Flutie WAS too short (5′-10″) and also did not have an NFL arm, which is why he played for about 4 or 5 teams and did much better in Canada.

I think Wilson (5′-11″) can play, but the fact is, for every Joe Theismann (6′-0″) or Drew Brees (6′-0″) who succeed, there are 10 more shorter guys who do not have an NFL arm and do not make it (hello Kellen Moore, 6′-0″).

47. ripster65 says: Aug 15, 2012 8:03 PM

Teams signs free agent QB to multi-million dollar deal

Wilson: “Yeah I think I can start”

How naive can you be? lmao

—–

Yeah, that pretty much will be the case. A team doesn’t fork out that kind of cheese for a backup but the Kolb/Skelton thing in AZ comes to mind. Flynn will definitely start, but Wilson could be adding pressure by looking decent and might force Flynn’s hand early. Being a 49er fan, this’ll definitely be interesting to see play out.

48. mnvikes7897 says: Aug 16, 2012 1:42 PM

I’d take Russell Wilson over the other two any day. He’s a good football player and he makes good decisions on the fly. Height disadvantage? Refer to the Saint QB who’s name I puke when I say and Flutie flakes. Nuff said. He’s going to be exciting to watch.