Avril says “Hard Knocks” shows “cutthroat” nature of NFL

Cliff Avril AP

The second episode of this year’s edition of Hard Knocks generated plenty of buzz among NFL fans, given the on-air termination of receiver Chad Johnson by Dolphins coach Joe Philbin.  It also created plenty of buzz among NFL players.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press collected some quotes from various members of the Lions.

Defensive end Cliff Avril, who said he’s “not trying to find out” how cold the process of cutting a player can be, said that the show demonstrates “how cutthroat the NFL is.”

“Some of this stuff we learn for the first time, too, just by watching,” Avril said. “But it doesn’t surprise us. It’s business at all levels regardless of who you are.  It’s a business.”

It is a business.  And it’s compelling and intriguing and entertaining to get an inside look at it.

But should we get that chance?  As explained in a special edition of PFT (Not Really) Live, the downside of welcoming cameras and microphones into training camp outweighs the upside.

Still, there always will be at least one team that wants to do it.  I could elaborate, but then you wouldn’t watch the video.

Hell, who am I kidding?  You’re probably not going to watch it anyway.

Go ahead, prove me wrong.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Avril says “Hard Knocks” shows “cutthroat” nature of NFL”
  1. dropkickbanana says: Aug 16, 2012 10:26 PM

Really? Welcome to the NFL. Be thankful you didn’t join the Marine Corps.

2. raiderapologist says: Aug 16, 2012 10:29 PM

You’re not wrong.

3. steveop24 says: Aug 16, 2012 10:32 PM

I would probably be fired from my job if i was arrested for headbutting my wofe too. That doesnt make the NFL “cutthroat”, its just how the world works.

4. j0esixpack says: Aug 16, 2012 10:42 PM

Although I appreciate the sentiments of NFL players, it’s the “cutthroat” nature of the NFL that has made it such a great game.

Unlike baseball where teams are hamstrung by huge guaranteed salaries – even going so far as to put expensive players on the field when others deserve it more, and basketball which faces similar though less extreme issues, the NFL has a system that allows the best players to be on the field.

At times, yes, that can be cutthroat but I wouldn’t have it any other way

5. mintberrycrunch1 says: Aug 16, 2012 10:51 PM

You’re right, I’m not going to watch that video.

6. matt2calvin says: Aug 16, 2012 11:05 PM

I’m not going to prove you wrong. I won’t watch, but I will take the time to tell you that I won’t watch. :)

7. squinn21 says: Aug 16, 2012 11:19 PM

Cutthroat? Find me another profession in which you can embarass your employer with a situation in which Chad Johnson found himself in and keep your job, along with your million dollar salary in the process. Guy embarassed his employer and deserved to be cut. simple as that.

8. primetime0552 says: Aug 16, 2012 11:23 PM

I love when people try to compare athletics to other jobs and the consequences…..

9. clw1906 says: Aug 16, 2012 11:25 PM

squinn21 says:
    Aug 16, 2012 11:19 PM

Politician

10. MichaelEdits says: Aug 16, 2012 11:30 PM

You are wr-wr-wr-wr-mistaken.

11. fringetastic says: Aug 17, 2012 12:23 AM

Number of hours I spend a week _watching_ sports analysis: zero.

Number of hours I spend a week _reading_ sports analysis: 40, plus an hour or two of my own time.

12. bsizemore68 says: Aug 17, 2012 12:39 AM

Since when did the NFL hold a gun to a football player and made him play pro football? If you don’t like how they do business then go elsewhere, I’m sure more players will try to take your spot, there is a wide receiver in Miami who stays out of trouble will now has a chance to make the team. Chad is a man child, and his wife is correct, he needs help, I hope he gets it. Bill

13. randomguy9999 says: Aug 17, 2012 1:00 AM

NFLers have been sheltered by athletic programs their entire lives and then put in the spotlight and given huge lotto ticket contracts….

having seen it… Chad got dismissed for cause (repeated causes actually) in a completely professional way that in no way shape or form could be described as ‘cutthroat’… especially when compared to how fans typically get fired in their jobs…..

players can keep playing the ‘poor me’ card, but we’re not buying it…. they have one of the best opportunities in the world…

14. jasonfinfan says: Aug 17, 2012 1:13 AM

I don’t see your point florio, If the Camera’s arent there the same thing is still going to happen, more likely a lot nastier without camera’s..

I would hope player’s have the I.Q. to know that Miami cutting players is no different then the rest of all NFL teams.. If they cant understand that then i wouldnt want them on my team anyhow..

15. monkeyhateclean says: Aug 17, 2012 1:20 AM

The downside of your team appearing on Hard Knocks is the players come off as moronic, the coaching staff comes off as incompetently dysfunctional, and the fans come across as delusional.

The upside is, your team will draft very high the following year.

16. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Aug 17, 2012 3:15 AM

Florio nailed it. The upside of signing on for Hard Knocks is so outweighed by the downsides – on so many levels.

Belichick wouldn’t look at his watch to tell you what time it is – so NO WAY IN HELL he steps up for Hard Knocks. Guess what? Belichick is smart as hell – the master of situational football.

Tomlin/the Steelers and Coughlin/the Giants? Think they’d clown around with that? No way.

Like Florio stated very eloquently, HK is ill-advised all things considered … unless your primary interest is generating attention, even if it’s negative attention.

17. hollywoodhulkhogansays says: Aug 17, 2012 6:36 AM

I watched the video again and again and again brother.

18. oriolesvsravens says: Aug 17, 2012 7:53 AM

A guy got cut before the opening credits of the first episode. So yeah I say so.

19. myvickinabox14 says: Aug 17, 2012 8:05 AM

I didn’t watch

20. tannethrill says: Aug 17, 2012 8:19 AM

If I was an incoming rookie I would watch every episode ever made and take notes.

21. texansdude says: Aug 17, 2012 8:49 AM

I watched the video, but I’m not going to tell you.

22. steelfan1 says: Aug 17, 2012 8:53 AM

Why do fans always need to compare themselves to sports stars and then justify that if they did so and so, they would be fired? Folks, shut the hell up please, it is nauseating.

First of all, if any of us got arrested for anything, unless it was done while we were at work, our employer will not know about it. Second the perception for these guys who live in the lime light is different than the rest of us. Even if our employer found out we got arrested, without not knowing all the facts and letting it play out in court, we can sue our employer for wrongful termination.

I am not saying Chad didn’t hurt his wife, i wasn’t there, but the fact of the matter is, there is a double standard. Sometimes it works for folks like us, and sometimes it works for folks like Chad, but folks stop comparing yourself, it just sounds stupid.