Michael Vick says Andy Reid’s become a father figure to him

Andy Reid, Michael Vick AP

It doesn’t take a degree in psychology to help figure out the bond between Eagles coach Andy Reid and quarterback Michael Vick.

Reid was a father with a troubled son who wanted to make it right for someone. Vick was the troubled kid looking for some guidance. But the two have grown much closer than imagined in three years, to the point they’re almost family themselves.

“I can say that while coach has been in my presence, while I’ve been here, he’s been a sort of father figure,” Vick told NFL.com’s Albert Breer. “[As] a father figure, you’re mentoring someone, anyone you care about, you’re gonna tell them the right things to do, the correct way to do things at the right time, and give them advice when they need it.  And that person needs to be open and easy to talk to. That’s a father figure.

“I can honestly say he’s been the substitute for the man in my life that I don’t have right now. It’s great, because I really don’t have too many people to lean on.”

When Reid offered Vick his first post-prison opportunity three years ago, things looked much different. Donovan McNabb was the incumbent, Kevin Kolb the draft pick being groomed to replace him. All Reid offered Vick was a chance to get in shape.

“The one thing coach told me was I needed some time,” Vick said. “He more than anybody convinced me that I needed time to get my legs back, and the reason I believed him — I don’t know. I really thought I could come back and play. But I knew the type of numbers that Donovan had. I knew every time a quarterback other than Donovan stepped on the field, he had success. So I was saying to myself, ‘What better place to go, with a coach that I really admired from afar when I knew nothing about him?'”

Now, the two are linked by loss. After the death of Reid’s son Garrett, Vick said he was “crushed.” And you can tell by the way coach and quarterback respond to each other, there’s more than the typical bond.

“I mean, I’m close with him. I understand that. It’s obviously humbling, because is a good kid,” Reid said. “When you go through certain things with certain people in your life, you become very close to them. He knows I’ll always be there for him, to help him out.

“That doesn’t mean I’m not gonna coach him hard or do those things, but I’ll always be there for him.”

That kind of loyalty is what Vick was looking for, and part of the reason he wants to win, to repay the favor.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill
21 Responses to “Michael Vick says Andy Reid’s become a father figure to him”
  1. dfalcon3522 says: Aug 16, 2012 3:04 PM

Dan reeves attempted to be the same type of figure while here in Atlanta. Jim Mora jr I think he hoped to establish that type of relationship with Vick as well. Vick at the time in his life wanted NO PART of it. So the ole Coach Killer Vick ran them both out of town. Don’t forget Arthur Blank tried the same. I will never forget him pushing Vick in a wheelchair after he broke his fibula in that preseason game vs the Ravens

2. seeptermean says: Aug 16, 2012 3:04 PM

Sounds like mike Vicks career will again take a dramatic turn for the worst

3. floriosfuglykid says: Aug 16, 2012 3:05 PM

Once again Michael Vick shows bad judgement.

4. chrisvegas says: Aug 16, 2012 3:14 PM

Already the negative Nancy’s are at it again. I love how no matter how positive a article is there are always negative comments. I think it is a good thing that Reid and Vick have such a good relationship. I hope they both have much success in the future!

5. turk2875 says: Aug 16, 2012 3:24 PM

Say what you want about Vick, but it really seems like he changed his life for the better. Many people think its an act or whatever, but he really seems sincere and remorseful. Andy Reid and Micheal Vick have really formed this bond from their own personal adversity and shows that football is more than just a game and your Coach/Teammates are more than just “co-workers”.

6. wcdunkenfield says: Aug 16, 2012 3:38 PM

Michael needs to breakthrough and perform the way that Andy has taught him, and do it quickly. They both need the boost right now.

And, to make things more interesting, they are in the same division with the SuperBowl champs, and that new kid in Washington.

Gonna be a tough year in the NFC East…

7. andycapozello says: Aug 16, 2012 4:08 PM

@floriosfuglykid where was the poor judgement here sir?

8. bigdan7885 says: Aug 16, 2012 4:36 PM

I’d love to be a fly on the wall during that Thanksgiving dinner.

9. mancave001 says: Aug 16, 2012 4:46 PM

dfalcon3522 says:
    Aug 16, 2012 3:04 PM
    ===================

Not sure why you feel the need to point that out. Vick was clearly a totally different person and even player back then (I couldn’t stand him). The point is the guy has changed..clearly.

10. haterswelcomed says: Aug 16, 2012 4:49 PM

” I love how no matter how positive a article is there are always negative comments ”

———————————————–
    Sooooo true! They probably just see who the article is about and automatically start plotting something ‘clever’ to say. Id bet more than likely they dont even read the article, possibly because there incapable incompetents….Depending on which fan base they represent haha

11. patfic15 says: Aug 16, 2012 4:56 PM

They both need one another.

12. justanotherdummy says: Aug 16, 2012 5:05 PM

Andy Reid gets a ton of heat in Philadelphia for not having won a Super Bowl. But this is an another example of why he is so highly respected throughout the NFL and by people who actually know him personally. Even though there is no measuring stick other than wins for a great many fans, he seems like a genuinely good man who helps those around him. To make a bad pun, he obviously had a dog in this fight, he wanted to give Vick a chance to play again, and if it worked out, the Eagles benefit. But he still took a guy who was practically radioactive, and let him take a shot at fixing his life.

13. upyoursnfu says: Aug 16, 2012 5:26 PM

Bit of advice to Andy Reid…..Don’t let Vick dog sit for you when you go on vacation.

14. richndc says: Aug 16, 2012 5:55 PM

I do wonder why people think Vick has truly changed. He still blames everyone else for his own issues. He has never truly repented. Still pulls no-shows for events which he has been paid. He still owes a lot of money on loans he is righting to repay. Because he now tries to speak in broken platitudes? Because he is not flipping off fans who bought millions in his merch? I dont see it. Donte Stallworth seems to walk his talk of reform and repentance. I aint buyin it here. Recall not long after he got out of prison his former partner was shot up outside a club after some kind of confrontation with Vick, some said Phillips threw cake in his face or his ladys face. Certainly a shootable offense? wonder why those things dont happen to the rest of us?

15. irishgary says: Aug 16, 2012 5:57 PM

Not sure Andy Reid is a very good father figure, but I’m sure even he is an improvement over Vicks father.

16. iguodollar says: Aug 16, 2012 9:21 PM

In Atlanta they were just fronting with Vick. They didn’t want to be father figures. The Falcons had went to the Super Bowl a few years earlier and then turned into the crappy team they are and Vick was the new commodity to bring the fans back. In Philly, Vick is family. In Atlanta, he was an investment.

17. flipadelphia77777 says: Aug 16, 2012 10:09 PM

Richndc I’d really like to know where you are getting all of your ridiculous information from considering in every interview Vick has had he clearly states he has no one to blame but him self and word for word says he takes full responsibility for his passed, as for owing money.. The guy doesn’t owe a dime! His debt has been paid off in full so nice try. It’s unfortunate he was at the scene where someone got shot but I definitely never read anything about Vick partaking in any part of it. Nice try bud…
    The relationship Vick and Andy have built is beautiful and I wish them nothing but success because they really do deserve it. Especially Andy and that organization an city

18. flipadelphia77777 says: Aug 16, 2012 10:12 PM

And the fact that people are still bringing up this dog situation is seriously ridiculous. Get over it and try to find another reason to hate on Philly

19. dfalcon3522 says: Aug 16, 2012 10:48 PM

@mancave, this city myself included loved Vick. I still love to see him succeed it’s just one of those deals where i still am upset at what happened many years ago. Had he straightened up back then I truly feel that the falcons would have made it to at least one maybe more super bowls. I know he has changed and is a better man now. I wish he would have realized back in 2002 that he owned the city of Atlanta and was the face of the nfl. It bothers me at times that writers and some fans spin it as he was never afforded any type of coaching and or leadership until he came to Philly. I still feel today that the day Dan Reeves was let go as his coach and mentor was where things started to go wrong for Vick… anyway I still watch every game he plays and pull for him to win unless of course it’s against the falcons

20. andyreidisarrogantandfat says: Aug 17, 2012 12:17 PM

I love how birds fans come in here and are so upset that anyone can talk badly about their beloved eagles. just appauling.

go into any giants, redskins, cowboys blogs and they are the biggest offenders. hypocrits. stop it.

that being said vick will probably become a drug addict now.

21. andyreidisarrogantandfat says: Aug 17, 2012 12:57 PM

The Falcons had went to the Super Bowl

———————————

That grammar just makes me sad. Can I get a conjugation from the congregation.

go went gone

come on bro you’re better than that