Andy Dalton crows after long touchdown pass

Cincinnati Bengals v Atlanta Falcons Getty Images

Andy Dalton’s 50-yard touchdown pass to A.J. Green was the highlight of the Bengals’ preseason win in Atlanta on Thursday night.

As we said after Dalton left the game, it was the kind of deep ball that many have doubted Dalton has in his arsenal. Dalton showed he can get it out there on Thursday, though, and consistently doing that will open up a potential new avenue for the Bengals offense in the year to come. After the game, Dalton did a little crowing directed at those who thought he couldn’t make that throw.

“My arm feels great, and you can tell everybody that it’s not even close to what I’ve got if I need it,” Dalton said, via Joe Reedy of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Dalton will have to do it more than once to convince the masses that arm strength isn’t a problem, but that was a good way to start. Future efforts will be helped by the fact that Green looks like he’s going to be even better than he was as a rookie. He abused Asante Samuel on that play on Thursday and didn’t look unlike Randy Moss as he blew down the sideline for the score.

The Bengals offensive line didn’t protect well enough and there’s still some questions about the rest of the wide receiver options, but the Dalton/Green tandem looks ready for the season.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Andy Dalton crows after long touchdown pass”
  1. danielcp0303 says: Aug 17, 2012 9:14 AM

Falcons fans aren’t gonna like this, but I think Dalton is already just as good as Matt Ryan.

2. joetoronto says: Aug 17, 2012 9:18 AM

What a loser that ugly ginger is.

3. Hello. Is that you James? says: Aug 17, 2012 9:20 AM

I always love the knock on some guys about their arm strength and how far they can’t get the ball down the field.

First off, you’re not throwing bombs the whole game.

Second, there have been tons upon tons of QB’s coming out of the draft with “one of the strongest arms I’ve ever seen” who are just complete busts. Happens all the time.

Nevermind where your head is at with the game, how you run the offense, how much time you put into everything, etc…..if you can’t throw the ball 200 yards, then you might be in trouble!

4. brianbosworthisstonecold says: Aug 17, 2012 9:22 AM

He’s also great at throwing snowballs i.e. A Christmas Story.

5. tmac4454 says: Aug 17, 2012 9:22 AM

Dalton/Green seems to be jelling from last year. Cincy did a good job last year recruiting last season. They will be above .500 this year. I can’t believe they reached out to Terrance Newman (garbage)…smh

6. texansdude says: Aug 17, 2012 9:23 AM

Well, Andy throws a good ball. J J Watt is a big fan, I hear. Seriously, that was a great throw to Green.

7. bengalsucker says: Aug 17, 2012 9:27 AM

Funny how the best line Joetoronto can come up with is “what a loser that ugly ginger is”. Wow, how original. Since the article was somewhat positive, joe couldn’t jump on a bash the Bengals bandwagon so he came up with the next best thing. Make fun of someone by referencing South Park. How old are you Joe?

8. shaunypoo says: Aug 17, 2012 9:29 AM

They did the smart thing and limited the playbook last year for a rookie QB with no offseason. This year they will open it up a little. This is textbook QB development.

Watch out for the Ginga Ninja.

And Green is a beast.

9. homelanddefense says: Aug 17, 2012 9:32 AM

that was a nice pass, and it beat Samuel, who as usual was over aggressive and bit on the first move.

They would have had one earlier too but Dalton got pressure and took a shot which resulted in an under thrown ball. Green was past Samuel on that play too.

10. chazzmon says: Aug 17, 2012 9:34 AM

That was a great throw but he threw short on another to AJ Green when he had Assante beat again. That being said I think Dalton has the right stuff to be very good in this league.

11. eaglesw00t says: Aug 17, 2012 9:41 AM

“He abused Asante Samuel on that play on Thursday”

Expect to see a lot of that this season.

He is the best average player in the league. Just ask him, he will tell you all about how good of a playmaker he is.

12. stew48 says: Aug 17, 2012 10:04 AM

I thought there would be some comments about the grossly underthrown pass to Green earlier in the game, which would have been a TD if it had been long enough.

13. cincyorangenblack says: Aug 17, 2012 10:12 AM

no worried 1 bit about our other 5-6 starting caliber recievers (excluding a great group of TE”s). Dalton threw that offbalance on his back foot btw.

Future’s lookin bright

14. bigblue0711 says: Aug 17, 2012 10:13 AM

Let’s see if their line can keep him off his back to make those throws. Cincy has had a terrible line for years

15. samoanjungle says: Aug 17, 2012 10:20 AM

He has the arm strength, he admits it’s his mechanics that are off sometimes that causes him to under-throw.
    He will throw off his back foot sometimes and not put his body into throws.
    If he fixes that we could be seeing a lot of those bombs.

16. pnut87 says: Aug 17, 2012 10:32 AM

Still say 14 is a bad number for a QB…

17. t8ertot says: Aug 17, 2012 11:11 AM

I can’t wait for the Raiders to come to Cincy this year. Not only will Dalton score, but we can have some pick 6′s from Palmer!

18. dvoxrox says: Aug 17, 2012 11:22 AM

I thought he did a great job. I’m pulling for him since I have him as #2 QB in fantasy. However, did anyone else think that a few black tiger stripes on that hair would be epic?

19. LoCoSu@%s says: Aug 17, 2012 11:39 AM

Dalton looks good. The duo of A.j & Dalton looks really really good.
    I see Cinci overtaking the Steelers this year in the NFC North.

Standard disclaimer – not a Cinci fan or a fan of any team in the AFC period. Just my observation.

20. CKL says: Aug 17, 2012 12:23 PM

eaglesw00t says:
    Aug 17, 2012 9:41 AM
    “He abused Asante Samuel on that play on Thursday”

Expect to see a lot of that this season.

______________________________
    Now Eagle fans can join us Pats fans in being able to enjoy watching him strut around like a banty rooster when he was even close to a WR who didn’t make a catch too. I laughed when he did just that last night. And when Green faked him out. I also love when he celebrates tackling (which is rare, granted) a guy AFTER the guy makes a first down. AWESOME.
    His 6-7 big plays per year were never worth his freelancing “swagger” filled behind (or paycheck).

I like Dalton, and I really was iffy on him before he was drafted. He’s got that Eli type “swagger”…cooly, calmly confident but not arrogant. What I really love about him besides that is that he is so calm and poised when he plays. He had to evade pressure numerous times last night and he did the smart thing and threw the ball away. I think he’ll be an even better version of Chad Pennington(who I also loved).

One other thing, Mike Zimmer is going to be the next HC somewhere, a team would be crazy not to give him a chance.

21. mswravens says: Aug 17, 2012 12:48 PM

The test of his arm strength will be at the end of the season when the weather turns cold & windy…not coming off an offseason of rest in ideal weather conditions.

22. beelicker says: Aug 17, 2012 12:54 PM

QB Savant, born to play the position.

Last year he ran the offense, this year will be more orchestration.

23. eaglesw00t says: Aug 17, 2012 2:50 PM

CKL says

——————————–

Lol…you are taking the words right out of my head. Youre like my brother from another mother (NFL team) lol

Patriots fans are apparently kindred spirits in my disgust with Asante Samuel lol

24. ppdoc13 says: Aug 17, 2012 6:43 PM

What he didn’t say was that he ruptured his groin trying to throw that far with a noodle for an arm. Sports hernia surgery to follow

25. johnnyb1976 says: Aug 17, 2012 9:25 PM

What an ugly virgin joetoronto is. Moron

26. londonbengal says: Aug 18, 2012 5:11 PM

These comments about Daltons’ arm are rediculous. The same was said about Joe Montana, one of the best ever.

The thing I loved about Dalton last year and this, is he just looks so goddam cool in there; and you need that if you play the Ravens and Steelers for a living.