Chris Cooley willing to take any role to stay with Redskins

Chris Cooley AP

With Fred Davis emerging at tight end for the Redskins and his 2011 season ruined by injury, Chris Cooley knows that he isn’t going to be playing his familiar role for the Redskins this season.

He seems to be fine with that development, as evidenced by his willingness to play fullback in the team’s preseason opener because they were short on healthy bodies at the position. Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports that the plan is to use Cooley in small doses this season to maximize his effectiveness without jeopardizing his health.

“I absolutely can be happy with any role on this team,” Cooley said. “The Washington Redskins have played a huge part in my life. I daily feel like I want to do anything I can do for this team. I owe this organization a lot. The only thing I want to do is win. I want to win on this team. That’s the only thing I haven’t been able to do.”

We will likely find out if Cooley is willing to put his money where his mouth is when it comes to doing whatever it takes to remain in Washington. Cooley is set to make $3.8 million this season, which is quite a bit for a player who is going to be used in small doses. A pay cut seems like an inevitability if Cooley is going to stay with the Redskins through the rest of 2012.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Washington Redskins
18 Responses to “Chris Cooley willing to take any role to stay with Redskins”
  1. thesmartestmanever says: Aug 17, 2012 11:17 AM

C.C. is still a good strong tough kid from the mid-west who can play football. the fact that he’s being religated to a smaller role says alot about the depth of talent my young redskins team has.

2. mp4philly says: Aug 17, 2012 11:21 AM

I wonder what hulk hogan says…

3. hollywoodhulkhogansays says: Aug 17, 2012 11:21 AM

At this point, I’d tell him he can stay if he’s willing to take a pay cut. His skill will only decrease and we can find better people to do his job. I appreciate everything he’s done and he’ll be going into the ring of honor at FedEx, but if he really loves this franchise, he’ll do us the favor of a paycut. HTTR.

4. williamjg says: Aug 17, 2012 11:28 AM

This dude is a real team player and deserves to stay around to share some of this team’s success in the near future. If healthy, he and davis could be a nightmare for opposing defenses.

5. RUAHORNH8R says: Aug 17, 2012 11:33 AM

Lol…. Tool

6. municrew says: Aug 17, 2012 11:45 AM

Same guy who came off a little arrogant when trade rumors cropped up about him possibly going to Cleveland. I guess he just wanted to stay in DC instead of being traded to the Browns or any other team. Decent player, saw him succeeding more than Davis a few years ago. Probably going to need a salary cut to stick around. How does Cleveland look now? Just checking….

7. seanb20124 says: Aug 17, 2012 11:47 AM

Fan favorite and good guy. He will survive the Turk

8. richndc says: Aug 17, 2012 11:53 AM

His role as head fart-sniffer has never been in doubt, at least not in my mind. He cemented that one when he dyed his hair chicken-fat yellow>

9. floriosfuglykid says: Aug 17, 2012 11:53 AM

You can stay. Just please don’t dye your hair again.

10. hollywoodhulkhogansays says: Aug 17, 2012 12:03 PM

municrew says:
    Aug 17, 2012 11:45 AM
    ——-
    Cleveland looks like the same big brown puddle of mud it has always been brother. You enjoy your 40 year old QB and we’ll enjoy our Phenom, Nationally loved RGIII brother.

11. cowboys5x says: Aug 17, 2012 12:03 PM

he can hold rg3 gym bag or ankles while hes doing sit ups. its over man go to the giants they like players who are at the end. bennet will give them a headache soon enough

12. floriosfuglykid says: Aug 17, 2012 12:31 PM

“its over man go to the giants they like players who are at the end.”

Yeah, they’ll never win anything.

13. kelmcc says: Aug 17, 2012 12:35 PM

What becomes a novelty most?

14. lamontjoe says: Aug 17, 2012 12:45 PM

Hey I’m a Cowboys fan, but I’ll be the first one to say that CC has always been a hard nosed TE when he’s healthy. If he plays for the minimum, I’m sure he’ll stay on the team.

15. skinsfan91 says: Aug 17, 2012 2:58 PM

Cooley isn’t from the midwest. He’s from Utah.

16. heathshuler says: Aug 17, 2012 3:48 PM

why does “A pay cut seems like an inevitability if Cooley is going to stay with the Redskins through the rest of 2012.” when the redskins have about $4M in cap space right now?

17. defscottyb says: Aug 17, 2012 6:30 PM

I love this guy. Cooley is a true team player and a true Redskin. Most “stars” would whine and complain but not Cooley. Stand up guy for sure. Hail!

18. jwreck says: Aug 17, 2012 7:45 PM

hollywoodhulkhogansays says: Aug 17, 2012 11:21 AM

… I’d tell him he can stay if he’s willing to take a pay cut.. if he really loves this franchise, he’ll do us the favor of a paycut. HTTR.
    _______
    Cooley has stated several times publicly that he is willing to take a pay cut to stay with the team. It’s hard to imagine the Redskins without Cooley, and the DC area would be devastated by his departure, but at this point, making the team is more about being one of the 53 most valuable players in camp, rather than a cap room issue.
    _____
    municrew says: Aug 17, 2012 11:45 AM
    Same guy who came off a little arrogant when trade rumors cropped up about him possibly going to Cleveland… Probably going to need a salary cut to stick around. How does Cleveland look now? Just checking….
    _________
    What exactly do you need to check? It isn’t like he would have magically avoided developing knee problems if he had played for Cleveland. To say nothing of Griffin or Weeden, on top of that, it sounds kind of like he would be playing for a small market team with a fan base that doesn’t know him; instead of being the fan favorite of the second richest franchise in the NFL, raising his family one of the nicest areas in the country. To cap it all off, for years Cooley has been saying that he will never play for a team besides the Redskins. He’s financially set; and once they cut him, he’s done. One has to hope that that promise doesn’t exclude him from being a color commentator however, that could be a lot of fun.