Ponder looks competent in preseason home opener

Christian Ponder AP

Yes, the preseason is glorified practice at full price.  And, yes, without game planning or the use of the starters for a full game it’s hard to tell what a team will be able to do, or not do, once the real games start.

That said, it’s better to look good than bad, especially when a team has been bad.

The Vikings have been very bad for the last two years.  The player for whom many believe they reached with the 12th pick in the first round of the 2011 draft, quarterback Christian Ponder, was shaky last year after getting the starting job following the benching of Donovan McNabb.

He wasn’t shaky in Minnesota’s preseason home opener at the Metrodome, completing 10 of 13 passes for 136 yards and a touchdown against the Bills.  (And, yes, that translates to a completion percentage in excess of his stated full-season goal of 75 percent.)

The 10 completions went to a whopping eight different players.

Ponder led the Vikings to 10 points on three drives.  It would have been 13, but rookie kicker Blair Walsh missed a 49-yard field goal wide to the right.

The only real negative?  The partially yellow collar on his new Nike jersey makes Ponder look like Steve Grogan wearing a neck roll.  Soaked in pee.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Ponder looks competent in preseason home opener”
  1. aaroncurryisbust says: Aug 17, 2012 9:21 PM

Man, Nike did a horrible job with every teams’ uniform. My Seahawks especially.

2. blacknole08 says: Aug 17, 2012 9:22 PM

The 10 completions went to a whopping eight different players.

—————————————————

That’s more than competent. That’s Aaron Rodgers like numbers. NOT saying he will be, or is anything like him. But the man is accurate.

Got to watch him a bunch while at FSU and he is going to be a star in this league. Vikings will score a bunch of points this season.

3. touchdownroddywhite says: Aug 17, 2012 9:25 PM

“The only real negative? The partially yellow collar on his new Nike jersey makes Ponder look like Steve Grogan wearing a neck roll. Soaked in pee.”

That made me laugh pretty good, but really it shouldn’t be there. That’s tacky, I don’t care who you are.

4. bighyzer says: Aug 17, 2012 9:30 PM

Granted it’s preseason and the 2 sacks didn’t look pretty on the first drive, but it looks like CP7 can make some things happen with a nice arm and pretty quick legs. SKOL!

5. edenprairieballer says: Aug 17, 2012 9:31 PM

Ponder looks promising. I Agree with Florio, that collar really bothers me for some reason. I expected a lot sharper jerseys from Nike but I all I see are goofy collars and backwards swooshes.

6. vikes49 says: Aug 17, 2012 9:38 PM

I have hated these uniforms since they changed and now they are even worse.. Throwbacks!! bring um back!!! Congrats on a good game Christian!!! SKOL!

7. apooster says: Aug 17, 2012 9:39 PM

Just think how good he’ll look when teams start stacking 8 in the box to stop Peterson.

8. RUAHORNH8R says: Aug 17, 2012 9:49 PM

Competent????????!!!!!!!!!!!
    Wtf???!?
    I’d say he was far more than competent!
    Your a tool sometimes man!

9. mnajb says: Aug 17, 2012 10:26 PM

Awww man.. I thought the jerseys they wore in training camp were the once they would wear on gameday.. The practice jerseys looked great. Simple purple jersey looked more like the throwback than the ugly thing they wore the last 10 years..

Oh yeah, and the football part of it.. Ponder’s playing well against a bad team.. That’s how it has to start!

10. cometophillyforthecrack says: Aug 17, 2012 11:06 PM

Nike symbol is better than the Reebok symbol, but man they butchered the uniforms.

11. zygizag says: Aug 18, 2012 12:22 AM

5 thoughts
    1) Ponder looked good.
    2) I don’t know why they do not throw to the TE in the red zone.
    3) the rookie kicker was 5 for six plus 1 — plus 1 he put it through the uprights on a regular kickoff
    4) VIKES 7th draft pick had 2 picks for 2 TD’s The guy has to make the team the D did not do that the well through 16 games last year. In the 1st half the D only caught 1 out of 3 balls that landed in their hands. Last yeat to have as many sacks as they did and as few picks is almost impossible.
    5) I hope that WEB gets better in the pocket. I of course think he would look better working with the #1 unit.

12. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Aug 18, 2012 12:52 AM

Ponder could be the Super Bowl MVP and Fl0rio would say he performed adequately.

13. phloorioisanarcissist says: Aug 18, 2012 2:49 AM

Wow… Really Florio? Collar soaked in pee?

I couldn’t agree more with ‘touchdownroddywhite’, but I didn’t even think it was funny. There really is no place for that, and you wouldn’t be saying something smart like that about a large market franchise like the Giants or Cowboys. I agree the collars look bad, but come on. Professionalism?

14. purpleguy says: Aug 18, 2012 1:06 PM

Geez lighten up on the collar-pee-color comments folks — one of the fun things about this site is Mike’s irreverance, which has been watered down enough by the NBC Sports merger. If you want boring, straight sports reporting go to ESPN and we’ll be happy here reading about pee-colored uniforms. Oh, and I agree Ponder looked good under pressure.

15. mnskolvikes says: Aug 18, 2012 2:31 PM

Yea just go back to the old school roots and stay there. Purple and white. And Paul, is that you? Edenprairieballer?

16. rcunningham says: Aug 18, 2012 5:46 PM

Where’s Bob Nelson at? Silenced again when his anti-Viking bias doesn’t roll his way?

17. seewise says: Aug 18, 2012 7:04 PM

yeah Nike sucks at design beside a few schools specifically Oregon.