T.J. Houshmandzadeh: Chad Johnson is a “genuinely nice dude”

johnsonhoush Getty Images

Former teammate T.J. Houshmandzadeh is defending Chad Johnson as a good person who found himself in a bad position when he was arrested on domestic violence charges and released by the Dolphins.

Houshmandzadeh made clear in an interview on Dave Dameshek’s podcast that he doesn’t condone domestic violence and doesn’t know the facts of Johnson’s case. But Houshmandzadeh said he knows Johnson very well from playing together for one year at Oregon State and eight years with the Bengals, and he knows that Johnson is a good person, despite what people say.

“Outside of his grandmother and his brother Chauncey I don’t know if there’s anybody that knows Chad as well as I do,” Houshmandzadeh said. “He’s just a genuinely, genuinely nice dude. You know, he does a lot of things that are over the top, but that’s just for fun and to put himself out there. But man, Chad is too nice.”

Houshmandzadeh’s comments point to what a contradictory figure Johnson is. Some people who know him well insist that he’s a great guy who likes to joke around. And yet there’s clearly a darker side to this man who has already been convicted of domestic violence once and is now facing charges from his wife again. He may be genuinely nice in Houshmandzadeh’s presence, and a different person in different situations.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “T.J. Houshmandzadeh: Chad Johnson is a “genuinely nice dude””
  1. skoobyfl says: Aug 17, 2012 7:12 AM

CJ’s wife’s plastic surgeon feels the same for the business.

2. kane337 says: Aug 17, 2012 7:13 AM

He’s a nice dude with a big mouth. Most teams don’t want to deal with the big mouth that also tweets garbage.

3. hollywoodhulkhogansays says: Aug 17, 2012 7:14 AM

Chad would be very accurate at headers in Soccer brother.

4. floriosfuglykid says: Aug 17, 2012 7:15 AM

Once you get by the spousal abuse he’s really a nice guy.

5. draconian1111 says: Aug 17, 2012 7:16 AM

Well..if he had any talent left…85 would see this swept away. His talent left when he went to “Ocho Cinco” – real smart…for someone that isn’t Hispanic.

6. mr4thand1 says: Aug 17, 2012 7:17 AM

“Child PLEASE!”

7. xsherr says: Aug 17, 2012 7:18 AM

TJ whosyomomma

8. jonsey2028 says: Aug 17, 2012 7:32 AM

Houshmazzili take em off the board! Championship

9. vex24 says: Aug 17, 2012 7:37 AM

I am just suspicious that this new wife (only marriage for Chad) has set him up. An elaborate gold digger’s plot. Just push the right buttons, at the right time and a cunning wife can capitalize on a proud athlete that’s struggling with age and declining skills. If this is true, I really feel for Chad. I followed his life in Cincy, and he is a good and playful man, that seems to mean no harm. He has never ever shown any ‘…dark side…’ and such a suggestion is without merit.

10. greymares says: Aug 17, 2012 7:40 AM

I’m thinking Johnson’s next stop is Dallas, Jerry wants to check him out in the “Glory Hole”

11. samapoc says: Aug 17, 2012 7:51 AM

I cannot picture these two guys fitting in well in Oregon.

12. phuriousjorge says: Aug 17, 2012 8:26 AM

Never cared for big mouth players.

13. richndc says: Aug 17, 2012 8:26 AM

What people dont know (unless you got the inside dope, like me) is that Chad’s behavior on the evening in question can simply be chalked up to a reaction from bad Clams Casino.

14. vincentbojackson says: Aug 17, 2012 8:44 AM

Of course he thinks Chad’s a good dude. You never would have even heard of TJ Houshmanzadah without Chad drawing double coverage all those years in Cincy.

Once Chad left the guy was exposed as a fraud.

15. christopher525 says: Aug 17, 2012 8:58 AM

Still love how we’re conditioned in this country that the man is wrong from the start. As someone who has a female family member who would kick the hell out of an ex husband when they would fight, then lie to get HIM locked up, I tend to prefer hearing both sides and realizing the truth is somewhere in the middle.

16. ripster65 says: Aug 17, 2012 9:01 AM

“Chad Johnson as a good person who found himself in a bad position when he was arrested on domestic violence charges ”

—–

Yeah, I’d have to agree that standing opposite the woman you just head-butted is a pretty bad position to be in…idiot.

17. jimnsota says: Aug 17, 2012 9:38 AM

What ever he was before he hit a women/wife, he isnt anymore. IMHO this is the Chad/Ocho that we have all seen at nauseam. Trying to keep the paychecks coming in anyway shape or form. Dont hit a female regradless of your anger. Your worldclass athlete…ok.. .your a overrated, world class self promoter. Keep it up Chad the truth will always show one way or another.

18. nyjets1017 says: Aug 17, 2012 10:12 AM

i really feel bad for Chad. This broad has had a history of abuse to but she is right away the victim. Chad seems like a really genuine guy who wants to give back to the fans and knows what its like to come from little. I wish more players were as giving to the fans as he is.

19. xpensivewinos says: Aug 17, 2012 10:16 AM

Set him up? For what?

She signed a pre-nup.

20. clownsfan says: Aug 17, 2012 10:21 AM

That means Housh will have no problem getting Ocho a job at the car wash he works at.

21. clownsfan says: Aug 17, 2012 10:21 AM

22. r8rsfan says: Aug 17, 2012 10:21 AM

I was good until those last 2 lines. Clearly? Really? Let’s just skip the trial and go right to the punishment phase.

23. bennyb82 says: Aug 17, 2012 10:56 AM

If every female that has slapped a male was put behind bars, the world would be a lonely place…so to say Chad has a history of spousal abuse may be legally factual, an extremely large percentage of the nation also has that same history.

24. kuta82 says: Aug 17, 2012 11:14 AM

Housh can only speak from what he knows..

25. steelersownyou says: Aug 17, 2012 11:29 AM

Weird…they said the exact same thing about O.J…Uhhh Ohhh!!!

26. EJ says: Aug 17, 2012 11:45 AM

That is usually how the wife beaters are, they are genuinely nice guys around everybody else, but when they get alone with their significant other, poof crazy Chad comes out. I have known a couple of these a-holes from past employment, they really did seem like great, loving husbands/fathers but behind closed doors its Danny the Demon. And no one would have ever known if their wives wouldn’t of brought it out into the open. Thank god women are starting to do more than times past and are standing up to these guys. Nothing is worse than a man who lays hands on a woman or girl. Punch a wall, walk away, scream to the sky, but never hit a woman. Gosh, don’t these guys have mothers? I bet they would be pissed if someone hit their mother. I don’t get it. Me and my Brother were taught at a young age to never even raise your arm to a female, regardless the situation.

27. demoderbydoug says: Aug 17, 2012 11:51 AM

Wow I didn’t realize Chad had such a big backseat, I mean everyone that is bashing him must have seen it. All these people bashing him were probably also first in line when he would take people out to dinner out of his own pocket. Give me a break people starting with the idiot that wrote this article where is the unbiased reporting, thats right it doesn’t exist on this website.

28. bennyb82 says: Aug 17, 2012 12:23 PM

I find it hilarious that some posters were taught to punch walls…

29. patsandwannabees says: Aug 17, 2012 12:35 PM

vex24 says:
    Aug 17, 2012 7:37 AM
    —————————————————–
    I couldn’t have said it better. This is what I’ve been thinking all along. I have a great wife and fantastic daughter. I would never allow any violence toward women. but for MD Smith to write, “And yet there’s clearly a darker side to this man who has already been convicted of domestic violence once and is now facing charges from his wife again.” He hasn’t done his homework. There was a moment on Hardknocks where Chad said his wife wouldn’t let him go home until he made the team. She seemed scketchy. Until the facts are all in, I feel bad for Chad.

30. mjkelly77 says: Aug 17, 2012 1:07 PM

Ocho Crazo. Headbutt Oucho.

31. calihawk says: Aug 17, 2012 1:28 PM

It is time to KISS THE BABY…

32. nomoreseasontix says: Aug 17, 2012 3:24 PM

I’ll bet you were hoping to never have to spell that name again…

33. I Speak Life Coaching says: Aug 23, 2012 3:02 PM

Chad Johnson may be a nice guy and all and he has great talent. However, this is not his first domestic incident and furthermore we have got to stop glorifying these players and look at the whole person. He has talent but he also beat his wife and what is being told not a good father. As a Life Coach who uses sports to help guys work through some issues, we owe it to one another as men to not let this guy off the hook. Chad, go get the help you need around anger, power, male domination and women. Then, hit the field with your head right.