49ers lose another running back to preseason injury

Alan Ball, Cory Nelms AP

Second-round rookie LaMichael James joined veteran Brandon Jacobs as 49ers running backs who were carted off the field during Saturday night’s preseason game against the Houston Texans.

James appeared to suffer a left foot or ankle injury, the extent of which is unknown. He was spotted as being able to put some pressure on the foot, but the fact that James had to leave on a cart presumably doesn’t bode well. James was the 61st overall pick in the draft.

Although it’s obviously thinning, the Niners are armed with considerable backfield depth. They have impressive second-year runner Kendall Hunter behind starter Frank Gore, as well as versatile tailback/fullback Anthony Dixon.

We detailed Jacobs’ injury earlier in the night.

James has rushed seven times for 34 yards so far in the preseason.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
13 Responses to “49ers lose another running back to preseason injury”
  1. 4t9er says: Aug 18, 2012 11:24 PM

Maybe the FO were justified to stockpile RBs.

2. cali49er707 says: Aug 18, 2012 11:25 PM

And here comes the vultures that are just waiting for our demise!!!!

3. ern215 says: Aug 18, 2012 11:27 PM

Lol@40whiners

4. dfwprosports says: Aug 18, 2012 11:36 PM

Frank Gore just stated in an interview that LaMichael James told him he only rolled his ankle so the 49ers now have only ONE serious issue to a running back they have to deal with. James sounds day to day, Jacobs on the other hand could be done for the year.

5. superseahawk says: Aug 18, 2012 11:42 PM

Holy moly, these injuries are out if control. Two running backs on the same team getting carted off in the same preseason game is a little odd. If I was Harbaugh I’d bubble wrap Gore’s entire body and not let him touch a football until week 1.

6. floridaboy619 says: Aug 18, 2012 11:54 PM

Never wana see injuries happen especially in pointless games. But Frank Gore is their top offensive playmaker next to Crabtree and that’s all my Packers need to worry about come week one. Alex Smith got drafted first overall over Rodgers but Smith is average at best and Rodgers is the best of the best! No match, nuff said!!!!

7. iced107 says: Aug 19, 2012 12:07 AM

————————————————————-

Uhh rolled ankles are no jokes – I know this because I did this the other day; my ankle literally looked like it had a golf ball coming out of it (http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/290741_4422593693130_641923339_o.jpg)

Thing is – I don’t weigh nearly as much as James, so I can’t imagine all the force that went down on that ankle.

I was only being able to start walking on it 3-4 days later, and sprains are always easy to reinjure.

Good thing you have Gore and Hunter, just need some better blocking from guys not named Staley and Iupati.

8. mrlaloosh says: Aug 19, 2012 12:13 AM

Your “demise”? I think the schedule will take care of that. When u go 14-4 your schedule gets much harder. Only patsies are in the NFC West. better win all those.

9. fmwarner says: Aug 19, 2012 3:10 AM

49ers are stacked at RB. I’d worry more at QB.

10. borisbulldog says: Aug 19, 2012 3:25 AM

I hate injuries, but I also hate the smug attitude of Harbaugh!

I hope the niners crash and burn this year!

11. slumdog66 says: Aug 19, 2012 3:38 AM

Ern215, whose your team again? You seem to hate on the 49ers a lot. Whiners? Damn, you are one creative gem. I get it though, it rhymes. Hahaha wow…

12. 3beeps says: Aug 19, 2012 7:29 AM

Jacobs was destined to get hurt at some point, it’s in his nature. This so-called “stable” of running backs looks more like the kiddie’s pony ride at the fair.

49er fans should be more worried about their run defense……that was awful.

13. stairwayto7 says: Aug 19, 2012 9:57 AM