Brandon Graham: Calling me a bust doesn’t bother me anymore

Brandon+Graham+Philadelphia+Eagles+v+Cincinnati+ktiTryuX4BKl Getty Images

In the two years since the Eagles took defensive end Brandon Graham with the 13th overall pick in the NFL draft, Graham has recorded a grand total of three sacks. So he knows some people call him a bust.

But Graham says that doesn’t bother him anymore.

Graham told the Daily Times that anyone watching him in training camp, or in the first game of the preseason, where he recorded a sack against the Steelers, knows that he’s a better player now than he was in his first two years in the league.

It used to bother me, but now, I don’t worry about it too much,” Graham said. “I feel like everybody knows that. Hopefully, I’m far from that because of what you see. It’s only going to get better.”

A big part of Graham getting better is getting healthier. He suffered a torn ACL late in his rookie year that kept him out for most of his second year, but heading into his third year Graham says he’s back to full speed.

Perhaps a healthy Graham can finally become the player the Eagles thought they were drafting in 2010. And perhaps Graham can become known as more than just the guy the Eagles drafted when they should have drafted Jason Pierre-Paul.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Brandon Graham: Calling me a bust doesn’t bother me anymore”
  1. insanelomein2 says: Aug 18, 2012 10:51 AM

Sadly, you are a bust Graham.

I hated the draft at #13 and being the next Jevon Kearse made it even worse.

2. thebigcaptain2011 says: Aug 18, 2012 10:55 AM

I’m pretty sure you being a bust bothers the Eagles. You down with JPP? Yeah you know me!

3. berniemadoffsides says: Aug 18, 2012 10:57 AM

Thank GOD my Giants drafted JPP over this bum…

4. rugdaniels says: Aug 18, 2012 11:00 AM

He’s an early round defensive player selected by the Eagles, they’re all busts.

5. spellingcopfather says: Aug 18, 2012 11:00 AM

If i had his pay checks, you could call me more then that & i would not care!!!

6. everydayimfumbilin says: Aug 18, 2012 11:03 AM

Gosh what a bust.

7. tebownextmarino says: Aug 18, 2012 11:04 AM

Bust!

8. dontouchmyjunk says: Aug 18, 2012 11:12 AM

It might not bother him, but it’s still true. 13th pick in the draft who still isn’t a starter, let alone an NFL force to be reckoned with like JPP.

9. rueagle says: Aug 18, 2012 11:13 AM

What’s more disturbing is that a ton of Eagles fans were begging for JPP or Earl Thomas in that draft. Then we get Brandon Graham, an undersized “high motor” guy that for some reason Andy Reid has an affinity for. Suffice it to say, JPP or Thomas would have been a much better fit.

10. pnut87 says: Aug 18, 2012 11:13 AM

Who?

11. cannonballdookie says: Aug 18, 2012 11:14 AM

acceptance is the first step

12. floriosfuglykid says: Aug 18, 2012 11:15 AM

Refreshing. He’s the only Eagles player that they don’t say is a Pro Bowler at his position.

13. adlent says: Aug 18, 2012 11:18 AM

Not really sure how you can call a guy a bust for having 3 sacks in two years when he spent the majority of his second year out due to a torn ACL, an injury most says takes another year to be fully back from.

14. EJ says: Aug 18, 2012 11:53 AM

I really don’t see him as a bust since he missed the end of his rookie year into his second year with an injury. I am willing to bet that hearing the talk about him will motivate him into a decent pass rusher this year. Check back week 10-14, then you can call him a bust if he hasn’t made a mark. Until then, he is just a player that hasn’t had the dice roll his way.

15. oneandonlyramsfaninpa says: Aug 18, 2012 12:09 PM

@ adlent

I agree with you 100% You cant judge these players that are in their third as busts when they have missed most of their 1st or 2nd or both years playing. Of course someone who hasn’t played a whole seasons is going to have their stats low!! logic people!

16. mp4philly says: Aug 18, 2012 12:53 PM

If I were Jeremiah Trotter I would petition the Eagles to get this bum another number. He is a pure, unadulterated, unequivocal bust.

17. eaglestateofmind415 says: Aug 18, 2012 1:07 PM

The year my eagles got exposed without a safety in the 2009 season which was the first year without Dawkins. I pleaded for the Birds to pick the best safety in the following draft. Right now we don’t need a Defensive Lineman we are stacked with depth and Safety wouldn’t be an issue have we drafted Earl Thomas.

18. laeaglefan says: Aug 18, 2012 1:13 PM

Even when Graham has been playing, he hasn’t been particularly impressive. This guy is turning out to be the next coming of Jerome McDougal.

19. jwreck says: Aug 18, 2012 1:14 PM

You could argue back and forth all day, and it may be too early to judge Graham, but the very nature of the quote is worrisome. There’s no stronger hint of a bust than a player saying that being labeled as a bust doesn’t bother him.

20. eaglestateofmind415 says: Aug 18, 2012 1:17 PM

The difference from us winning atleast 1 Superbowl to this day..

2003 NFL DRAFT

Philadelphia Eagles #15 select DE Jerome McDougle
    Pittsburgh Steelers #16 select S Troy Polamalu.

2010 NFL DRAFT

Philadelphia Eagles #13 select DE Brandon Graham
    Seattle Seahawks #14 select S Earl Thomas
    New York Giants #15 Select DE Jason Pierre-Paul

DEJA VU ALL OVER AGAIN!!

21. oldbyrd says: Aug 18, 2012 1:20 PM

Brandon Grahm deserves a shot this year. He is healthy and a acl tear for those of you that know is devastating. JPP he is not, but he might just surprise you. If he surprises, The Birds are going to have some hard decesions to make. Hopefully some real good trade bait. I wish Brandon the best. He has taken the heat and handled it well.

22. geniusfan says: Aug 18, 2012 1:23 PM

I remember low my jaw dropped to the floor when the Eagles picked Graham I wanted Earl Thomas to be a bird very badly but of course Andy had to go with another high motor undersized defensive end.

I think 90% of Eagles fans wanted Thomas JPP would be nice but there is nothing wrong with the Eagles D-line.

As for their safety’s well that’s a whole different story Nate Allen Kurt Coleman O.J. Atogwe and Jaiqwan Jarret may just be the worst safety corps in the NFL.

23. hokiegajanisgod says: Aug 18, 2012 1:33 PM

Memo to Brandon: stop TALKING about being a bust; let your PLAY on the field prove everyone wrong!

24. andyreidsbossoms says: Aug 18, 2012 1:45 PM

Relax bozo’s he’s still young

25. eepobee says: Aug 18, 2012 1:51 PM

Absolutely love the Gianys fans puffing their chests out after a 9-7 season. Youd better hope the rest of the NFC sucks this year cuz that crap aint gonna cut it this year. Btw, where did u guys improve this year? Lost a lot a guys, but what did you add? A 3rd down back? Wonderful ! Lookin like another middle-to-bottom-of-the-pack finish for the second best team in NYC. Oh, and Graham out sacks JJP this year.

26. johnnycash19 says: Aug 18, 2012 2:00 PM

The guy had terrible coaching at Michigan. Terrible. And he had GREAT numbers for a DE, especially on being on those defensive teams with Rich Rod. I expect him to come back strong.

27. hailskins4life says: Aug 18, 2012 2:16 PM

It shouldn’t bother him if someone calls him a ‘bust’. However, his second contract if he continues to perform like a bust will REALLY bother him.

28. hedleykow says: Aug 18, 2012 2:17 PM

I’ll file this under “Eagles Positive Developments”.

Some PFT posts, like this one, have actual value.

And then there are the Tebow/Jesus posts that have comedy value only.

It’s really a good balance.

29. briang123 says: Aug 18, 2012 2:19 PM

Nothing would make me happier than for Graham to make all of us who call him a bust eat their words.

30. fmwarner says: Aug 18, 2012 3:53 PM

I wanted Earl Thomas too, but it’s a bit premature to call Graham a bust. If he doesn’t perform this season when he’s healthy, then it’s fair. But until then let the guy give it his best. He’s had a fair bit of bad luck.

As for JPP, nobody was calling for the Eagles to draft him. He’s blossomed into a great player, and good on him. But before the draft everyone was calling him a boom-or-bust pick and that scared teams away. Hindsight is 20/20.

31. bucthat says: Aug 18, 2012 4:20 PM

Now I could be wrong but if I remember during that draft weren’t a lot of the experts saying JPP was a huge risk? So for those saying they easily should have taken JPP during the draft many fans were praying their team wouldnt take him. But i think that this guy needs to be given a full year to play before we call him a bust because he has a great upside when healthy. I’m rooting for him to have a good season because I loved the guy in college

32. indywilson40 says: Aug 18, 2012 4:29 PM

It could be worse Eagles fans. You could have drafted Jerry Hughes.