Favre’s debut as a coach results in big win

Brett Favre High School Coach AP

A guy who was born to be a quarterback also may know a thing or two about coaching.

In Brett Favre’s debut as offensive coordinator at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, Favre’s team pulled off a 64-6 win over Sumrall.

Coach Nevil Barr told the Hattiesburg American  that a gadget play installed by Favre resulted in an early touchdown.  “I trust in my offensive coaches – unless it’s just something that’s way out there,” Barr said. “Brett wanted to run it early in the game and it worked to perfection.”

The reality is that Sumrall was overmatched physically by Oak Grove.

“Last year, we played good for four minutes. This year, we played good for eight minutes,” Sumrall coach Shannon White said of the annual rivalry with Oak Grove.  “So after a year of work, we’re four minutes better.  Maybe if we work 10 more years, we’ll get a half, who knows.”

Favre is coaching on an unpaid basis.  After Friday night’s performance, Oak Grove should offer to double his salary.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Favre’s debut as a coach results in big win”
  1. floriosfuglykid says: Aug 18, 2012 6:39 PM

Who cares. As long as he’s not texting.

2. bigks77 says: Aug 18, 2012 6:51 PM

Sounds like the classic running up the score kind of play!
    Sure…..the one time across the body throw worked!

3. fdugrad says: Aug 18, 2012 7:00 PM

I’ll tell you what’s big…BF looks as though he’s already packed on twenty pounds since he’s stopped playing.

4. tfbuckfutter says: Aug 18, 2012 7:05 PM

I don’t really know how impressive this win is…..doesn’t Brad Childress coach Sumrall?

5. eagleswin says: Aug 18, 2012 7:11 PM

And last year Oak Grove beat Sumrall 52-0. Without Favre. It sounds like Sumrall routinely get’s steamrolled by Oak Grove yet the article makes it sound like Favre, the unpaid assistant, made all the difference.

The fact is that if Favre wants to coach and the team wants to have him, that’s great that he is giving back to the community. Shame on the media though for trying to make the humiliation of a small high school national news just because an assistant coach is famous.

6. broncobrewer says: Aug 18, 2012 7:17 PM

Don’t know what I’m more tired of hear about Brett Farve coaching high school or Tebow doing anything

7. rezburna says: Aug 18, 2012 7:27 PM

Sumrall is horrible. Oak Grove has been a playoff team every year down here in class 6A even before Brett Favre.

8. millerhour says: Aug 18, 2012 7:48 PM

I didn’t even read the article. PLEASE stop covering him, don’t turn into ESPN2… I mean ESPNa…

9. hay1111 says: Aug 18, 2012 7:52 PM

Wouldn’t it be funny if Favre turned out to be the best/fattest high school coach ever?

10. steeltownpride says: Aug 18, 2012 8:11 PM

I think its really cool . Those high school kids must be in awww with having a HOF QB out there . No im not a Packers , Jets or Vikings or Falcons fan .

11. hifive123 says: Aug 18, 2012 8:36 PM

Beatdowns like that are classless.

12. tannethrill says: Aug 18, 2012 8:53 PM

I hope he gets caught buying them beer

13. gogiantsfan says: Aug 18, 2012 8:57 PM

I think both Marc Bulger and Kerry Collins are playing flag football in their backyards right now…

14. usernamethatdoesnotalreadyexist says: Aug 18, 2012 10:17 PM

You guys are brutal. It would have been awesome to be coached by a HOF QB in high school. It’s not like he called the press and asked for attention. He just wants to coach HIGH SCHOOL football and, of course, is doing it for free. Give him a break.

15. simplesimon1 says: Aug 18, 2012 10:28 PM

Wow!!!! It’s crazy, but I think Favre might look older than Terry Bradshaw. I can’t remember the last time I saw somebody age so brutally.

16. hsfootballfan says: Aug 18, 2012 11:14 PM

rezburna didn’t I read Sumrall went to play offs in their division last year?? Guess it was in their class though not 6A

17. hsfootballfan says: Aug 18, 2012 11:19 PM

Sumrall is a 3A team. OG is 6A. Dang my comments keep disappearing!

18. granadafan says: Aug 18, 2012 11:36 PM

Rumor has it there is a young assistant coach who wants to learn how to coach offense, but Favre refuses to talk to him or teach him anything.

19. vincentbojackson says: Aug 18, 2012 11:37 PM

Does Oak Grove wear Wranglers instead of football pants?

20. sysi45 says: Aug 19, 2012 12:33 AM

Are you going to cover each game that this team plays? You just can’t find a subject that is Pro Sports related, now you have to cover High School sports. I guess you will change the name to HSFT.

21. stellarperformance says: Aug 19, 2012 6:38 AM

As soon as Sumrall begins to show promise and Favre suspects they could be better than Oak Grove , he’ll want to leave and coach over there.

22. dd393 says: Aug 19, 2012 11:38 AM

So, does Brett come back for the next game, or does he not come back for the next game…